Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 23 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 8 In Conversation
MikeWerner
Star
Star

My outside arlo camera receives a regular flicker whereby the image lights up. This sets off the motion detection.

Two suggestions:

1. Have a parameter that tells how long there must be motion before determining that there is motion. E.g. 2 seconds motion before the alarm is triggered.

2. Not matter what scedule is used, there is only one sensitivity you can set for the camera. Instead allow different sensitivities per time band. This way you can make it less sensitive during daytime, and more at night.

23 REPLIES 23
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

MikeWerner,

Camera sensitivity is defined by the rule within the active mode. If you're having an issue with sensitivity at a specific time of day and you are using the schedule, consider creating a custom mode for that specific time and adjust the sensitivity accordingly.

JamesC

MikeWerner
Star
Star
Thanks for that, I did know I could set sensitivity for specific times. But this will probably not cure the flicker problem. The flickering sets off the motion.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

MikeWerner,

What is the source of the "flicker" you're describing? Is it an outside source, like sunlight? Could you post a screenshot as an example?

JamesC

MikeWerner
Star
Star

No, it's not sunlight, it's a light to dark to light that takes about .5 sec. I'll take the next video and screen snap it.

DAVEW1954
Aspirant
Aspirant

DAVEW1954
Aspirant
Aspirant
I'm having same problem camera activities then you see a flash. And in days time I have 50 times the camera went off,nothing there but the flash sensitivity adjustment don't help. To low of ajustment and you don't get nothing that took place
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

DAVEW1954,

Could you post a screenshot of where your camera is facing? You might consider relocating the camera to see if you get different results in an alternate location. 

JamesC

MikeWerner
Star
Star

working on it, but requires to relocate the camera and have had a serious accident 2 months ago and currently only have one working hand, and need some physical help which is arriving this weekend.

MikeWerner
Star
Star

Here are 2 screen snaps, 1 at 00:00 (the cause of the motion dectection), the 2nd at 00:01.

here's the link to the video:

https://arlo.netgear.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/EDB2D8417D6FD9CF

Screen Shot 2016-06-13 at 21.10.56.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-06-13 at 21.11.13.jpg

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I think the initial "flash" is just caused by the camera adjusting to the brightness level which appears to be rather bright. Nothing you can do.

The scene is too much. The water and street scene are likely what's causing the frequent recordings of nothing, especially the sun's IR reflecting off the water (and possibly windshields). Only view the actual scene of interest with the camera.

MikeWerner
Star
Star

The image is just where i managed to aim the camera too. normally it's aimed only at grass, nothing else, but still get the flash.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It could be a slightly defective camera where the exposure control isn't working quite right but doesn't appear to be much of an issue - to me, maybe it is for you.  If you have a second camera, swap positions to see if the problem follows the camera.  To get it replaced you'd need to create a trouble ticket and work with support for an RMA.

showker
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm having the exact same issue. The camera is recording about every 5-10 minutes in "spurts" of 2-3 recordings... one day- 32 recoerdings. About a second into the recording the recorded video shows a flickering or "wash out" of the image... as if the washout started the motion sensor and/or the recording.

This is a game changer that has caused me to disable the camera! no good to me if it's recording non-events.

help.

thanks

showker
Aspirant
Aspirant

There is no event that triggers the motion. My camera is going off every several minutes.

These are morning shots, no wind to move the shrubs. I've got another camera directly beside this on another window that is fine.

Cameras are mounted on shutters outside front of house.

I've attempted to reduce sensitivity, no help.

dark, no motionlite up flicker

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

showker,

One way to further isolate this issue would be to move the camera where there is absolutely no movement. ( aim it directly at a wall for example) and see if you get the same behavior. If you do, it could be an issue with the camera itself.

If you have more than one camera, you can try swapping locations with the unaffected camera to see if the new camera behaves the same way in this location.

JamesC

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Don't forget that birds flying through the scene, spiders or other insects crawling over the sensor, etc. can set the cameras off with no capture of the event since the object has moved on before recording starts.

Paulymon
Aspirant
Aspirant

I experience the same thing on several cameras. No movement, about a second in to the recording the exposure on the camera changes causing the video to get light or dark which triggers the recording.  I have the setup plugged in to a UPS with surge/brown out protection to ensure a clean power supply.  

Initially I was happy with the cameras, now (4 months later) after dealing with alerts being sent for no reason, not so much.  I have adjusted sensitivity and the problem is not isolated to a single camera-it affects all 5.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Paulymon,

How often does this occur? Can you post a clip of the issue?

JamesC

JSDAL
Tutor
Tutor
I have the same issue with only 1 of my 5 cameras. It happens probably a dozen times each day. Maybe 1 or 2 times at night. I've reduced the sensitivity and the detection area. No luck. It's a real problem. Thanks.
Aja60
Aspirant
Aspirant
I am having the same issue on 2 of my 5 cameras! Whats the solution?
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Aja60,

Consider reducing the cameras sensitivity and see if you get the same behavior. For more information on how this can be done, see here: How do I change the motion sensitivity on my Arlo camera?

JamesC

Aja60
Aspirant
Aspirant
Yes I tried that and also tried changing the brightness settings.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Aja60,

Please contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

JamesC