Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Camera Unresponsive on Brightness and Snapshot Control at Night

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
JPC
Prodigy
Prodigy

Hi,

I hope someone can help me resolve this weird glitch that I'm having on my camera.. 

I tried pretty much everything and follow all the troubleshooting posted here and even

returned this product in exchange for a new one and still no luck.. 

I have 4 cameras.. All of them work flawlessly in daytime.. But when at night time,

all of them particularly placed in my small backyard Only suddenly won't respond

when I'm adjusting brightness or taking a snapshot Only.. Other than that it works fine..

Battery and wireless signal are full.. I thought at first it was one particular camera only but it wasn't..

I switch them and tried each cameras placing them in my backyard.. and surely it did the same thing..

So I know it's not the camera.. All Cameras & Base-Station are updated to the latest firmware.. And like

I said.. I pretty much did the troubleshooting listed in the Community and Support and then some.. 

I'm thinking it could be an interference around my neighboor's Backyard? What could it be? Street power lines?

But I have the wireless signal full and it's responding fine when playing and recording..

It's just not responding when I start doing Snapshot and Adjusting Brightness Control and Only at night time and in the backyard too.. Other places such as placing Outside in the Garage Entry, Main-Entrance, & Front Door

are working Flawlessly.. It's just mind boggling.. I dunno if there's a fix but am hoping there is.. I look around if

someone have this kinda problem am having but I guess am the first one.. 

Regards,

Jon

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JPC
Prodigy
Prodigy

Hey Tom, I tested the tin foil you mentioned and it still didn't work.. I did however returned the system to

Best Buy in an Exchange once again.. This time I was careful not to Update & set the AutoUpdate to Off..

Coz I had a hunch it's a firmware issue.. The System came with 

Base station firmware version = 1.3.2078
Camera firmware version = 1.1.2074

Using my updated iOs App 1.8.1

Guess What... It worked with this version and it just needs to be a bit closer 15-20 ft between base & camera.. Unlike the last updated system I had, even 10 ft.. It would not work.. 

I did test it further away than 20 ft and it was unresponsive (Brightness & Snapshot Control a no go).. 

I therefore conclude it's a firmware issue.. 

I hope this up coming firmware release will take care these issues... 

Case close.. Thanks Tom!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Jon...what are the lights on the front of the base doing?  Is the camera led flashing?

if so, that means that the camera/base is warning you the camera is near the limit of range... it poss could effect some of the signals to the camera but allow streaming...

also , yes.... since the camera were switched and it happen to the second, it could be some other form of interference...remember these do operate on the 2.4ghz wifi band and are subject to possible interference from other strong wifi signals.

i know its driving you prob crazy, but seems like the camera is mostly functional...

One other thing , if possible , slowly move the camera closer to the base ( try rotating the base 90d too first ) and see when it functions 100%.

Keep us informed, interesting problem... yours is the first like this I've seen/

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
JPC
Prodigy
Prodigy

Hi Tom.. thanks for the reply... Lights on the base are all steady Green.. No flashing red lights at all or any weird flashing light..

Yes, I did put the base closer to the camera in the backyard about 15ft. Got wifi signal in full bars & battery as well..

but still no go (It still won't take a snapshot & brightness won't adjust)..

When I take a snapshot, I'd get a spinning wheel and get stuck there.. I'd be able to play/stream and record fine.. so what'll do is

logout and log back in to reset using iOS.. I did try it also in Safari, Firefox, IE browsers and still the same..

Again, this is only happening when the camera is in the backyard & starts around 7ish pm.. Pretty much in the evening 

Coz before that like from morning til' late afternoon the camera's snapshot and brightness control work fine.. 

I have a feeling it's the interference somewhere.. I wish this thing is dual band..

It's weird tho that only the brightness and snapshot controls get affected.. I'd assume when there is

interference it would prevent the whole controls incl. play/stream/record to work at all.. It really is mind boggling.. 

So for now.. I just left it the way it is.. It's functioning anyhow.. I just can't control brightness and use snapshot in the evening..

It goes normal early in the day anyways.. So No Biggy.. I hope maybe future firmware might solve the problem.. I'll definitely 

let you guys know when I do get this squared away.. Thanks again Tom..

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Really a strange one...

I think I mentioned it, but didn't see if u did... Rotated the base about 90d to see if you get a stronger base signal out to the back which might overpower the interference (?)

Also as a side note the FYI, the latest SW versions are;

cam - 1.2.2545

base - 1.4.2627

also i see IOS just updated the Arlo version 1.8.1 (?)

PS as a second thought if you want to go crazy... 1) put a tin foil shield around the front of camera ( half way) so the side towards the base is open and see if it kills the interference  ( I use the tin foil hat when it gets crazy here 🙂 )

JPC
Prodigy
Prodigy

I did what you mentioned bout' rotating 90deg and moving more closer and still a no go..

I believe the Updated firmware you have is not officially available yet.. I still have

Cam = 1.2.2412

Base = 1.3.2261

iOs = 1.8.1

I wish we have access to which firmware to install so we have option what works best.. 

I will try the tin foil shield tonight and see if that works.. It's 1pm right now and all cameras & Base are 

functioning perfectly.. It's sux I have to wait til' night time to troubleshoot it.. 

Thanks Again.. 

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

as you know, you have the current s/w

( mine was sent out as i was an orig beta tester...to limit possible problems if it went out to all...I just was not informed and thought it was a full release ..that was my mistake )

JPC
Prodigy
Prodigy

Hey Tom, I tested the tin foil you mentioned and it still didn't work.. I did however returned the system to

Best Buy in an Exchange once again.. This time I was careful not to Update & set the AutoUpdate to Off..

Coz I had a hunch it's a firmware issue.. The System came with 

Base station firmware version = 1.3.2078
Camera firmware version = 1.1.2074

Using my updated iOs App 1.8.1

Guess What... It worked with this version and it just needs to be a bit closer 15-20 ft between base & camera.. Unlike the last updated system I had, even 10 ft.. It would not work.. 

I did test it further away than 20 ft and it was unresponsive (Brightness & Snapshot Control a no go).. 

I therefore conclude it's a firmware issue.. 

I hope this up coming firmware release will take care these issues... 

Case close.. Thanks Tom!