Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

RATE MY CAMERA COVERAGE AREA

Discussion stats
  • 26 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 6 In Conversation
Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

With all the troubles that I have been experiencing I wanted to get a the Communities opinion on my Camera Coverage area.  A brief history, It was suggesting that I move the camera becasue of motion detection problems.  This is my second location using a third party outdoor camera mount, with the camera in the inverted option.  To this day I have only been able to record the back sides of three UPS deliveries drivers. current setting is at 100.

Opinions please

And feel free to add your own Pictures, Maybe we all can learn something about camera placement.

ARLO.jpg

26 REPLIES 26
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Can't see your video or photo, whichever it is...

Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

Wierd,   I see it just fine on the post....

Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

ARLO.jpg

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Same old. Both an Android tablet and Windows 7 laptop.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

got nothing here

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
AnthonyArmato
Luminary
Luminary

Placement looks fine to me. Why must the camera be mounted inverted ?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I can see the shot now.

It looks fi he to me, depending on how you expect the subject to move.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

yes, now looks good... but remember it takes a few tries to dial in the 'detection' level.

AnthonyArmato
Luminary
Luminary

If detection is on 100% there's nothing to "dial in". If that's not detecting motion correctly then something must either be wrong, or the camera needs to be positioned differently to help it detect "better".

Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

AnthonyArmato wrote:

Placement looks fine to me. Why must the camera be mounted inverted ?

........... there is no 1/4 t20 for mounting hardware on top of the camera so you have to flip it upside down in order to mount it........ 

Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

jguerdat wrote:

I can see the shot now.

Thanks.  I am trying to capture "Subjects" coming from the street to my front door (Right to left)......  so far the camera only picks up the subject leaving so I only see the their back side.  THE VIDEO RECORD DELAY IS INSANE !!!!!!

RobertRosal
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hula_Rock wrote:

jguerdat wrote:

I can see the shot now.

Thanks.  I am trying to capture "Subjects" coming from the street to my front door (Right to left)......  so far the camera only picks up the subject leaving so I only see the their back side.  THE VIDEO RECORD DELAY IS INSANE !!!!!!

Hi Hula_Rock, have you tested placing the camera at the center of the driveway? 

I also agree, the delay at times can be horrible.  With some adjustments, I have found it where i can now live with it. If Netgear can improve the response, I will be a Very Happy Arlo customer, for now it is just OK.

-Robert

-Robert
Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

RobertRosal wrote:

Hula_Rock wrote:

jguerdat wrote:

I can see the shot now.

I also agree, the delay at times can be horrible.  With some adjustments, I have found it where i can now live with it. If Netgear can improve the response, I will be a Very Happy Arlo customer, for now it is just OK.

-Robert

Robert:

After hearing "arlo works best if the subject moves accross the field of view"  this was the only other location that meet that requirement.  If the camera was placed in the center of the driveway,  "subjects" would be moving in towards the camera, which is not recommended.

I too had high hopes about this 2015 CES winner, For me, so far, well I wont say whats on my mind.  Lets just say that I am very dissapointed,

RobertRosal
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hula_Rock wrote:

RobertRosal wrote:

Hula_Rock wrote:

jguerdat wrote:

I can see the shot now.

-Robert

Robert:

After hearing "arlo works best if the subject moves accross the field of view"  this was the only other location that meet that requirement.  If the camera was placed in the center of the driveway,  "subjects" would be moving in towards the camera, which is not recommended.

I too had high hopes about this 2015 CES winner, For me, so far, well I wont say whats on my mind.  Lets just say that I am very dissapointed,

I hear you, in following the "requirements" and for me that did not work, as I figure it is not working for you.  I went against the grain here and moved my front door camera in the middle of view and it works OK.

Please see link https://arlo.netgear.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/8CCF3F96E71016EB

-Robert

-Robert
Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

Your set up captures what I am trying to do at my house !!!!!!!

For **bleep**s and grins, I am going to remove my camera in one of my other zones and place it where you suggest and see what happens...  do you get a lot of false alerts from the traffic moving in the street ?

RobertRosal
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hula_Rock wrote:

Your set up captures what I am trying to do at my house !!!!!!!

For **bleep**s and grins, I am going to remove my camera in one of my other zones and place it where you suggest and see what happens...  do you get a lot of false alerts from the traffic moving in the street ?

I rarely get false alarms.  My day rule is set to 94% and my night rule is set to 100%.  To be honest with you, I probably get on average 1 false hit every 2 days.

It is usually a big truck passing on the street that will trigger what I consider a false hit, which I can live with.

-Robert
StuBee
Luminary
Luminary

I've mentioned in another thread....but I'll do it here and shorter....

I don't think it's a "video record delay" per se.  I think it's an amount of movement required to trigger the recording.

Theoritical example:  

A person in Full view (blocking) the camera will instantly trigger a record.

An object far away might have to move for 5 seconds to hit the same "movement' threshold.

Hopefully it's something Netgear can tweak and allow us finer control of.   Or it could be built into the motion sensor.

Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

StuBee wrote:

I've mentioned in another thread....but I'll do it here and shorter....

I don't think it's a "video record delay" per se.  I think it's an amount of movement required to trigger the recording.

Theoritical example:  

A person in Full view (blocking) the camera will instantly trigger a record.

An object far away might have to move for 5 seconds to hit the same "movement' threshold.

Hopefully it's something Netgear can tweak and allow us finer control of.   Or it could be built into the motion sensor.

Its getting frustrating.   I would expect the camera to instantly trigger if a subject stood right in front of it, if thats the case lets all print signs and post them in our house the state :   "ATTENTION  !!!!  Area under Arlo video surveilance, Please step up to the camera to begin recording". 

The more digging I do the more I find out, I might be wrong, but this is what I think might me causing the Delay in recording....

1.  The Camera is in Idle mode.  It's ONLY function is motion detection and to send "Keep alive" heartbeats to the base station.

2.  Once motion is detected, and certian PIR grid criteria is met, a signal is sent to the camera to POWER ON (from what I read, this takes 1-2 seconds)

***** Since there is NO DVR in the mix:

3.  The base station then sends session requests (e.g. SIP ) to the Arlo cloud, a Video Record session is then established and a signal is then sent back to the camera telling it to send video packets.  (another 1-2 seconds)

I have another camera on the way from Netgear and plan on installing it at a 3rd location.  The two locations which covered a side to side field of view apparently is not good enough, go figure.

The third location will be installed so the subjuct will be coming towards the camera, which was suggested by a community member.

I know, I know, this is not recommended but yet the Arlo website shows a simular coverage scenario.....  🙂

Arlo.png

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

3.  The base station then sends session requests (e.g. SIP ) to the Arlo cloud, a Video Record session is then established and a signal is then sent back to the camera telling it to send video packets.  (another 1-2 seconds)

I believe you got it good up to step #3

After the PIR detects movement, it wakes up the camera. The camera handshakes with the base and recording THEN starts... the base processes the video and transmits it to the cloud.

The time delay you have at 2-4 seconds ( maybe just lucky here ) I don't see....and not saying you don't have it.

I get about 4-6 feet ( walking speed ) into the camera zone before it starts to record... thats closer to 1-2 seconds max. Also to note, I'm only shooting about a max of 15feet from camera for my detect zone.

( my other 2 cameras do a reverse record as I have an open floor plan and get full facial shots, but again no more than 6 feet away from the detecting camera )

Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

I believe you got it good up to step #3

After the PIR detects movement, it wakes up the camera. The camera handshakes with the base and recording THEN starts... the base processes the video and transmits it to the cloud.

The time delay you have at 2-4 seconds ( maybe just lucky here ) I don't see....and not saying you don't have it.

I get about 4-6 feet ( walking speed ) into the camera zone before it starts to record... thats closer to 1-2 seconds max. Also to note, I'm only shooting about a max of 15feet from camera for my detect zone.

( my other 2 cameras do a reverse record as I have an open floor plan and get full facial shots, but again no more than 6 feet away from the detecting camera )

I respectfully disagree. from what you are saying  "The camera handshakes with the base and recording THEN starts... the base processes the video and transmits it to the cloud"  that would suggest a constant connection, a Static IP, between a the base station and the the Arlo cloud.  Since this a security system, having a Static IP address would not make sense, its a secruity risk and not very cost effective.

Which leads me to believe sessions have to be established, Dynamic IP. I am not sure if AAA is used for user authentication to establish a video record sessions.  I am leaning more towards this after briefly going over a couple WIRESHARK  network captures. I will dig further when I get time.

As it stands, barring a defective camera,  A 2-4 second video delay is a fair assesment.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

In the FWIW category, most of my recordings are well over 15 feet away (just no reasonable way to shorten it) and I miss  a few to several seconds' worth of initial movement.  Hence, the distance thang seems very real - closer movement gives more immediate results.  Seems reasonable since the angle of detection is much smaller at larger distances, requiring more movement to even trigger detection.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

snip...  Hence, the distance thang seems very real - closer movement gives more immediate results.  Seems reasonable since the angle of detection is much smaller at larger distances, requiring more movement to even trigger detection.

Agree... prob why I have a lower time delay

Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

RobertRosal wrote:

Hula_Rock wrote:

jguerdat wrote:

I can see the shot now.

-Robert

So I moved the camera to the middle of the driveway to see if it improved detection,  Little to No improvement.  Running out of options ...

See Video:

Center of Driveway

RobertRosal
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hula_Rock wrote:

RobertRosal wrote:

Hula_Rock wrote:

jguerdat wrote:

I can see the shot now.

-Robert

So I moved the camera to the middle of the driveway to see if it improved detection,  Little to No improvement.  Running out of options ...

See Video:

Center of Driveway

I assume that you tried with camera adjusted more where the street was visible?

-Robert