Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
MyIQArLo
Apprentice
Apprentice

I'm having to deal with customer support for the first time and the experience has been frustrating to say the least. We have exchanged 4 emails and I have received 4 replies from 5 different people. One email started off with, I'm Kayleme and I'll be helping you and ended with sincerely, Jayson. I'm progressive but an operation completed while writing an email seems unlikely. They asked for the same photos I posted in the community but it's even worse to get a pic to support than the community. So in 5 days and 4 emails, we actually went backwards because I was asked to do some steps that made it so all 7 cameras show offline for about 10 seconds before 6 come back up. I've been told my serial number is invalid. I'm certain its because the 0's and O's and 8's and 6's in the serial number are indistinguishable. I guess they'll figure that out when the 6th person replies. The only fix I found was to buy a new camera. Obviously thats not acceptable but its what was done when the manufacturers support proved inadequate.. Also each email is different. They reference netgear and have netgear links in the email which is not the same as arlo site. As far as I can tell its a foreign website because when I type in the search box the results come back in a different language. Netgear, Arlo, or scam, doesn't matter to me. I was directed there from this site and this site actually was quicker and offered more help than support. Id attach the emails but I've only posted 100 times so I can't put more than 1 pic. Consider your purchasing options if you haven't made the mistake of purchasing an arlo system yet. Also, prepare to be asked vague questions you have no idea how to answer and do a lot of troubleshooting that you likely already tried. There is an alarming warning not to share personal info with support which doesnt do much for feeling secure. When I came back to the arlo site, it was in English. All in all, I cant rate anything except how many people I've communicated with and still have a camera down. What really bothers me is this problem is all over the community so Arlo knows it's their issue and still runs you through the same steps that haven't worked for anybody. You know when ADT is better? When its working. I have an expensive paper weight.

12 REPLIES 12
Matchpoint
Apprentice
Apprentice

You should try their Chat in the Support tab of this web site. You can get real time support.

MyIQArLo
Apprentice
Apprentice
I only have a phone and the screen is shattered. Additionally, I have to Google every question they ask me because I speak English and Spanish fluently but not a lick of Computerish. My chat experiences have ended in disconnection due to lack of response on my part but I'm just trying to get the requested info. They asked for a picture of my serial number. I sent it in 7 minutes. 24 hours and 2 minutes later, I receive an auto generated, "more time is needed"?! To check a serial number? I needed 7 minnutes to get a photo of it to them but they need a couple days to transfer the number? It seems pathetic. Not one of the 5 reps who have replied mentioned any of my concerns about the website being a European netgear site when I reached them from a US arlo site? I'm really disappointed in the system and now the support. I started this ticket for 1 dark camera on the 26th and havent managed to get my serial number confirmed. I just had to send photos of the the camera under my email address because they say its not under my email. Update 6th different rep responds. The continuity is difficult to deal with.
MyIQArLo
Apprentice
Apprentice
Bad to worse. Now I guess none of my cameras are supported according to the app? See photo. It's not spamming when every word I am saying is the truth about my experience with support. BEWARE!
MyIQArLo
Apprentice
Apprentice
Latest response from arlo or netgear.. notice there is no link to take me to the response. Nor are there directions on how to find this so called response. What kind of company has a link to unsubscribe from their emails but nothing to take you to the update on your warranty ticket?
BobW_NC
Guide
Guide

"What kind of company has a link to unsubscribe from their emails but nothing to take you to the update on your warranty ticket?"

Uhhh... That would be Netgear / Arlo. I've come to the conclusion that opening tickets does nothing but increment a counter somewhere. Hey support, how's that IR filter issue problem going that was supposed to be resolved with a firmware update.

MyIQArLo
Apprentice
Apprentice
How is it possible that they are still in business? Are we that lazy that we are willing to put up with crap products and service? The bottom line is that protecting your home is not possible with current wireless systems. There are too many variables that technology isn't ready for yet.
manfredz
Hero
Hero

Fortunately not all of us share your views.

I had a problem with a bad base station.  Although L1 support was a bit trying (I have an IT background), once I advanced to L2 support, they quickly shipped me a replacement and I was in business.

In 10 months, I\ve had to reboot my base station a couple times to clear up hangups and had about 3x to open battery cover to clear pink picture on one cam.

As for protecting your home, cams arent designed to protect your home but to advise you of a break in and identify the perp.

I personally feel the cam systems that are main powered and inside your home are better designed for this but battery operated weatherproof cams have their place too and are better for my use.

Yes Netgear could improve especially in the support area, but its a far cry from how you describe it.

Just my two cents worth.

MyIQArLo
Apprentice
Apprentice
That's why I am including screenshots. It seems preposterous, but it is in fact exactly what I am experiencing. I am the first to admit, I am lacking considerable knowledge regarding computers, so I don't understand the problems from a technical pov. I was of the belief the internet was a fad that wouldn't catch On until sometime in 2015. I also purchased a laser disk player when they came out. Shows how much I know.. On the positive side I was able to capture a clean pic and forward it to everyone regarding the man who inexplicable entered my gated backyard. So, there are definitely perks to having this system. I have promoted arlo every chance I've had, but this is my first experience with support and it is likely all owners will have to deal with them at some point.
izkato
Initiate
Initiate

Today I had my first experiecne with Arlo customer support. I asked him how can I charge the extra battery I received with the system I bought. He said you have to purchase a charger or use on of the cameras you have. I then said what is the point of having an extra battery if I can't charge it without pulling one of the cameras out? He did not like my question so he hanged up.

I didn't know that if I need to charge the battery I have to bring down the camera which can by very annoying and not practical. After I charge it I will have to install it agian and adjust it as if I was doing for the first time. That's not practical and I am not going to buy a seperate charger since the extra battery came with the system I bougth. If Arlo does not provide me with a free charger, I am returning the package to Costco.

steve_t
Master Master
Master

This is correct. The only way to charge a battery is either in the camera or in a tube charger. I'd love to have received a spare battery in my kit but alas I only got the cameras (with batteries) and a base station. Accessories come separate for most people. It'll be a bit of a shame to miss out on a great camera system because you feel you should be given a charger for free but that's ultimately up to you.
If the support agent hung up on you in the middle of your call, that's another matter that Netgear should look into as that's unacceptable. They would have recorded your phone call so hopefully they can investigate your claim

izkato
Initiate
Initiate

On second thoughts, I think I am going to keep the system and purchase the charger. They should have designed the base station to be able to charge the battery. I think that will be a very good solution that will add more value to the system.  

steve_t
Master Master
Master

izkato wrote:

On second thoughts, I think I am going to keep the system and purchase the charger. They should have designed the base station to be able to charge the battery. I think that will be a very good solution that will add more value to the system.  

That is an excellent idea. Put it in the Ideas Exchange section. I'll add Kudos to that idea. The more kudos an idea gets, the more likely the engineers are to implement it