Buffer issue when viewing over wifi

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
chilihead51
Tutor
Tutor
Just purchased 5 camera system. Have 100/6 internet connection... so bandwidth is not an issue.

When I view cameras from my Android phone connected to 4G LTE, perfect streaming.... however, when I connect my phone to WiFi, camera buffers every few seconds. My phone connects via 5 Ghz WiFi and typically still receives about 30-35 down. .. so still should not be a bandwidth issue.
4 REPLIES 4
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I've seen that, too.  Can't explain it but it could well be the difference in path used by each connection.  Congestion over some point in the Internet that cell service bypasses could be the answer or maybe cell is even buffering for you.  I have no idea which, if either, would be the answer.  You could try using traceroute from both devices to arlo.netgear.com could provide some clues.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Don't know what phone your using, but I have seen that issue. ... In my case it was the phone.

Obv the problem resides some where in your wifi setup vs app ( reguardless of how much it can put out ) since it works on 4G.

But, can't tell you why. See if you can kick the wifi  to 2.4ghz only and test again

I found from testing 3 Android phones ( on wifi only ) that quailty wifi streaming needs like a min of 1ghz/dual processor.

On the phone that was older/slower it was buffering a lot ( spinning wheel ) tho it was visable.

The more cams you try to stream at same time only makes it worse.

Contact Netgear for trouble ticket, maybe the techs may have a better idea.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
chilihead51
Tutor
Tutor
I will try the trace route... I have been able to alleviate the buffering on the lowest quality setting.
chilihead51
Tutor
Tutor
I have a Samsung Note 6..... don't remember offhand what the processor speed is. I have switched cameras to the lowest res and resolved the buffering. I will also try using the 2.4 Ghz.... but am not overly concerned as it is more important to watch while away from home and I am typically on 4G when away from home. But the cameras have already proven quite useful as they alerted us to an unexpected utility worker while we were away. Thanks to all offering suggestions... I will post additional updates as I try them out.