Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 70 Replies
  • 21 Likes
  • 10 In Conversation
bobuser
Star
Star

With the latest iOS software update, your developers decided that removing the % battery left was a good idea. It isn't.

I would request that you reinstate the numeric display of battery percentage remaining. Relying on just a small icon to show the amount of charge left is hopeless. This is the same stupid idea that Apple implemented in their IOS. They only did it due to their idiotic notch design - not allowing enough space for the % symbol. They are now going to get rid of the notch, allowing them more space. You should not follow them in that poor User Interface design decision. I need to see the percentage left as I continually have to recharge the batteries. I am sure others feel the same way.

Oh, I would normally write a support ticket without relying on posting here - but I can't find that option available any more. I will continue to hunt for that feature, but I suspect you have removed it - due to the large number of complaints you would get.

Best answers
  • JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

The development team is still testing a resolution for this issue. I will provide more information once this fix is approved and available.

JamesC

• JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

A fix for this issue is currently being identified and tested. I do not have an ETA at this time but will provide an update as soon as I know more.

JamesC

• JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

The development team is currently reviewing reports of this issue. I will provide an update as soon as I have more information to share.

JamesC

70 REPLIES 70
Slimmer
Star
Star
bobuser
Star
Star

I shared my screenshots with James.

One more interesting data point.

I have 10 cameras. It is the same no % sign for 9 of them. But on the 10th, it does show the % left as well as the icon. They are all on the same firmware. I thought that maybe since there was no activity on that camera for 12 days, maybe that was the cause. Alas, no, watch some live camera action - and the % left still shows OK.

So, maybe this is a bug?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@bobuser wrote:

So, maybe this is a bug?

Sure sounds like one - it affects some users, but not all, and in your case some cameras but not all.

FWIW, I am also seeing battery % for all my cameras on my iPad with 3.6.  I'm upgrading it to iPadOS 15.4 now, but I don't expect that will make any difference.

(EDIT:  I am still seeing battery % on the iPad after upgrading to 15.4).

bobuser
Star
Star

Ok - this is all now resolved for me.

I rebooted my base stations and the % left figure returned to the device display on my iPhone 13mini. This problem only arrived after the latest update to the Arlo iOS app. I am away from the property so wasn't keen on rebooting the devices - but I do have a remote power switch on them. I went through the troubleshooting of rebooting the iPhone and remembered the question above in this thread about rebooting the base station. It seemed like a long shot, as I wouldn't have thought it had anything to do with this problem - but indeed it does.

So, anyone else with the problem, perhaps that will work for you as well. James, please pass this onto the Developers to test this.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Slimmer
Star
Star
I’m in the same position, remote location, will reboot base station and see what happens, won’t know till next week. I questioned early on in the thread if rebooting would be a solution.
57A
Star
Star

I rebooted my base station and it had no effect.  Here are my results.

iPhone SE (2) 2020, iOS 15.3.1 - OK

Mac Mini computer (late 2012), Chrome Browser - OK

MacBook Air (2020), Chrome Browser - OK

iPad Air Gen 4 iOS 15.3.1 - does not show percentage on all 4 of my cameras

iPad Air Gen 1, iOS 12.5.5 - does not show percentage on all 4 of my cameras.

Arlo App 3.6 on phone and tablets.

This issue came about with the second last Arlo app update 3.5.13.  

VMB3000 | Arlo Base Station, VMC3030 | 4 Arlo Wire-Free Cameras
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

57A,

Thank you for the information, I will relay this to the team and request a status update.

JamesC

JSR80123
Tutor
Tutor
I have 3 cameras on one of my hubs and one shows battery charge % and the other two do not. All in the same app. The other two only show a nearly impossible to interpret battery icon.
ant
Mentor
Mentor

This when viewing each camera's properties. On home screen, it shows them at maximum which is not correct. I see also them fine in https://my.arlo.com/#/cameras web site though. Arlo Pro 2 show theirs fine in both iOS app and web site. Original Arlo cameras are connected to their original Arlo base station.

Thank you for reading and hopefully answering soon. 🙂

ant
Mentor
Mentor

For those with missing battery percentage in the updated iOS app, are those Arlo cameras the original model like from 2015 like mine? I noticed they don't show their percentage when viewing their camera's properties in iOS app. I can see them fine in web site. Arlo Pro 2's cameras' battery percentages do show up in both correctly. I wonder if it is just the original Arlo cameras. I still have the original base station for the original Arlo cameras too.

bobuser
Star
Star

My Arlo's and base stations are still the original. 2 base stations and 10 cameras. (a few casualties along the way, but they still do the job).

Arlo still have not released the latest iOS version to the AU App Store - so, I am only presented 3.5.13 and not the 3.6 as mentioned in this thread.

Dannybear
Master
Master
The v3.6 update is available, it can take up to a week to notify it is ready. This is a great way to have some opportunity to stall the update before the auto updating occurs.
ant
Mentor
Mentor

Yeah, I have app v3.6. I manually got it right away. 😞

Dannybear
Master
Master
@ant,

Looks like an arlo server issue though, the % battery status issue seems ok using Pro2 cameras with v3.5.13 app.
57A
Star
Star

I do have the original base station and cameras as outlined in my signature. However, as I indicated in post 31, the app works with my iPhone SE (2) and via a browser, so the information is "available", just not with certain devices, apparently, like my two iPads.  (I dug out my old iPad as a test.)  The information was also previously available before Arlo App 13.5.13, so something "broke" with that app release and subsequent release 13.6.

VMB3000 | Arlo Base Station, VMC3030 | 4 Arlo Wire-Free Cameras
Dannybear
Master
Master
Just to add some detail, running ipados v14.8.1 on Air pad 2 with arlo iOS app v3.6 has no issue displaying battery % status on four Arlo pro2 camera settings. Same on iPhone 5s iOS v12.5.5 using arlo iOS app v3.5.13.
ant
Mentor
Mentor

I see this issue in iPhone 12 mini (v15.4), original iPad air (iOS v12.5.5), and iPhone 6 + (iOS v12.5.5) with updated Arlo v3.6 iOS app and original Arlo camera+base station. No problems with Pro 2. Arlo needs to fix this. 😞

JSR80123
Tutor
Tutor
I have the original Arlo HD cameras using CR123A batteries.
In the same iPhone app, one camera shows battery % and the other two do not. The batteries in the one with % were changed about 3 weeks ago and the other 2 about a week later.
IPhone 12Pro & iOS 15.3.1
iPhone App version 3.6
Camera hardware H7
Camera firmware 1.5.295
Hub hardware VMB3010r2
Hub firmware 1.17.1.2.1205_100e8e1
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The development team is currently reviewing reports of this issue. I will provide an update as soon as I have more information to share.

JamesC

bobuser
Star
Star

Just adding a bit more data. I was (finally) able to update to the latest Arlo iOS app 3.6, when it was presented to me. No change. All is still good for me, after reboot of the base stations. And now with multiple reboots, I can't replicate the initial problem.

Plansman
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have four cameras on my unit and up to recently, each camera would show the percentage of battery life left but now I have one that will not show it.  Any ideas why only one?

Thanks in advance. 

ant
Mentor
Mentor

Do you have any updates for us yet, JamesC?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

A fix for this issue is currently being identified and tested. I do not have an ETA at this time but will provide an update as soon as I know more.

JamesC

ant
Mentor
Mentor

Thanks JamesC. 🙂

Slimmer
Star
Star
Finally got to my troubled base and immediately rebooted not once but twice with version 3.6 the percentage did not come back. I see James C is on it, had to post my finding, had hopes.