Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 25 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
ColoradO_Elvis
Aspirant
Aspirant

Woke up this morning to low battery of 16% from 67% the previous night.  Highs in the 80s, lows in the 50s.  Had experienced issues where cold weather gave mis-readings a couple of months ago.  Wondering is this the same issue but in reverse?

Batteries are new Energizer CR123s.

Anyone experiencing similar issues?  Was there a recent firmware push?

-Elvis

25 REPLIES 25
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

No recent (last night) updates.  It may just have been a display issue.  If using a browser, try flushing the cache.  Maybe logging out occasionally would help force the issue.  Others have mentioned the same thing but there hasn't been an answer yet.  There's also been differences noted between the app and a browser.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

ColoradO_Elvis,

Was there a lot of activity overnight on this camera? Did you see this behavior on any other cameras?

What is the signal strength like on the affected camera? Weak signal can cause battery drain if the camera is struggling to maintain a connection with the base station.

JamesC

Pet1700
Apprentice
Apprentice
I experienced the same issue today... Just posted the same question... My OEM batteries on one camera went from 60% to 6% in one afternoon. No unusual activity took place. I am worried it is hardware issue. Hoping it is simply incorrect battery reading by the system. This camera has 60% signal strength. Temps today we're in the 70s. Outdoor camera.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

A bit of a pain but try restarting the base station and check battery levels.  If still low, try opening and closing the battery doors and check again.  Let us know if either action helps.

Pet1700
Apprentice
Apprentice
Restarting the base didn't help. My other camera with 80% signal strength went from 83% at 1am to 43% right now. Only one 20second recording occurred. Btw, the camera at 6% is still hovering around 6% a day later... The % fluctuates between 4% and 7%.
Arl0
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have had 2 X Arlo cameras for a little over a week. One is fine & still at over 90% battery but the other only lasts 2 days & the battery is less than 10%. They are both on same firmware & set up the same. I have resynced it but 2 days & the battery has had it. The camera goes from 90% to 10% in a few hours. It has even been unarmed all day but still gone flat. HELP! Please ☹️
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

What firmware versions are you guys running?

Arl0
Aspirant
Aspirant
It says no updates available.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Arl0 wrote:
It says no updates available.

My updates equate to;

Arlo cam = 1.2.5699

base = 1.7.5.6178

Q cam = 1.8.0.5551

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
Arl0
Aspirant
Aspirant
1.7.3_5005 for base station- again says no updates available
ColoradO_Elvis
Aspirant
Aspirant

Nothing unusual happened during the night.  Only recorded four 30 second
videos.  Didn't happen on my other camera.

The incident camera is farthest away from the base station.  It shows it
has 60% signal strength.  It has been going for about four weeks steadily
down from 100% to 67%.  Nothing to warrant going from 67% one night to the
next morning at 16%.  😞

I was hoping this was a software glitch like the cold weather one.

Elvis

ColoradO_Elvis
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have another outdoor camera at about 90% now.  Haven't noticed the same issue on it, yet.  But I will keep a look out for this one as well. 

-Elvis

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I have one camera on nonrechargeables and two others on rechargeables.  Battery life reported and expected show normal depletion rates based on the amount of recordings.  Temps have been up and down some here but haven't noticed any wild fluctuations in battery reporting at all.

Not sure what to suggest other than to perhaps remove the camera from Settings, My Devices and resync it with new batteries.  Maybe check into rechargeables (see the Buying Options and Tips forum) to prevent deep investments into battery companies.

BonBon16
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi jguerdat.

You wrote that "I have one camera on nonrechargeables and two others on rechargeables."

I see in "Safe Battery Handling and Usage" that "DO NOT use rechargeable batteries".

How long have you used the rechargeables batteries? Any advice for using them safely?

Many thanks.

jguerdat wrote:

I have one camera on nonrechargeables and two others on rechargeables.  Battery life reported and expected show normal depletion rates based on the amount of recordings.  Temps have been up and down some here but haven't noticed any wild fluctuations in battery reporting at all.

Not sure what to suggest other than to perhaps remove the camera from Settings, My Devices and resync it with new batteries.  Maybe check into rechargeables (see the Buying Options and Tips forum) to prevent deep investments into battery companies.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

BonBon16 wrote:

You wrote that "I have one camera on nonrechargeables and two others on rechargeables."

I see in "Safe Battery Handling and Usage" that "DO NOT use rechargeable batteries".

How long have you used the rechargeables batteries? Any advice for using them safely?

There are at over 55 pages on rechargeables,; At least read the last ten

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Buying-Options-Tips/Rechargeable-batteries-for-use-with-Arlo-camera...

As to the 'do not use' , Netgear has changed ( over time ) its policy from use to not use based on a number of safety factors from many counterfeit cells with lack of proper usage.

Read Netgears warnings and then decide for yourself if you want to assume any possible risk

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

^^ +1

BonBon16
Aspirant
Aspirant

@TomMac : Thank you for the link. I'm reading it to find out why it is not recommended for rechargeable batteries.

BonBon16
Aspirant
Aspirant

@jguerdat : If you don't have time to answer my questions, please let me know the brand name of the rechargeable batteries that you are using for Arlo. Is it still "GTL 2300mAh 16340 CR123A 3.7v Li-ion Rechargeables" ? Thank you.

jguerdat wrote:

^^ +1

Pet1700
Apprentice
Apprentice
I really like my eagletec and nitecore I4 charger... Since arlo drains the batteries so inconsistently... I don't have to worry about spending tons of money on regular batteries anymore... With highest quality, 30 second clips, and average about 10 minutes of recording a day... I get about 20 to 30 days before having to recharge... Very happy.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The issue of rechargeable use is one fraught with legalese.  While Netgear did allow/encourage rechargeables at one point, at least one user experienced an issue that resulted in a damaged camera.  So, it's easier and safer for Netgear to just steer clear and now state to only use non-recharegables since they're much more of a controlled product.  The cheap crap sold (including the silly 2300mAh batteries I started with, GTLs, etc.) were next to useless, especially in quality control.  I dumped mine in Home Depot's battery recycling a while ago.

I now have only EagleTacs that have been recommended as protected for over- and under-charge along with a Nitecore D4 charger.  I'm not looking back.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Tips for rechargeables....

1) use the 3.7v cells with a good quality charger

2) make sure they have over discharge, over charge protection

3) there are 3 major brands that seem to run the best so far, Only pick from a KNOWN brand ( list in threads )

4) No 123/16340 size cell have hold enough chemistry to have a higher rating than about 700 mahr ( so any rated much higher are usu questionable )

5) If going with an untested brand, watch the lenght...manf's variances allow for longer cells that may not fit in Arlo... ( I think the longest ones used are Nitecores )

BonBon16
Aspirant
Aspirant

@jguerdat  : Thank you very much for your answer. It helps me to understand more about the issue. I fell more comfortable to use the rechargeable batteries. 🙂

I'll buy EagleTacs when I'll dump my P-Power. I'm using SUPEREX Smart Charger which can show the capacity of the rechargeable battery.

jguerdat wrote:

The issue of rechargeable use is one fraught with legalese.  While Netgear did allow/encourage rechargeables at one point, at least one user experienced an issue that resulted in a damaged camera.  So, it's easier and safer for Netgear to just steer clear and now state to only use non-recharegables since they're much more of a controlled product.  The cheap crap sold (including the silly 2300mAh batteries I started with, GTLs, etc.) were next to useless, especially in quality control.  I dumped mine in Home Depot's battery recycling a while ago.

I now have only EagleTacs that have been recommended as protected for over- and under-charge along with a Nitecore D4 charger.  I'm not looking back.

BonBon16
Aspirant
Aspirant

@TomMac : Thank you very much for the tips. I fell more comfortable to use the rechargeable batteries. 🙂

I'll buy Nitecore, (and also Eagletec, Olights) when I'll dump my P-Power. I'm using SUPEREX Smart Charger which can show the capacity of the rechargeable battery and has over charge protection.

TomMac wrote:

Tips for rechargeables....

1) use the 3.7v cells with a good quality charger

2) make sure they have over discharge, over charge protection

3) there are 3 major brands that seem to run the best so far, Only pick from a KNOWN brand ( list in threads )

4) No 123/16340 size cell have hold enough chemistry to have a higher rating than about 700 mahr ( so any rated much higher are usu questionable )

5) If going with an untested brand, watch the lenght...manf's variances allow for longer cells that may not fit in Arlo... ( I think the longest ones used are Nitecores )

ColoradO_Elvis
Aspirant
Aspirant

Sorry for the delayed response.

Same issue happened again on my other camera.  Battery level steadily went down from new batteries of 99% to 65% over normal activity since June 8th.  Eight hours later it said my batteries where now at 15%.  Got the warning email the next morning.  My best guess is it's a bug designed to show false battery readings instead of a steady decline down from 99% - 15%.  So since then, I have noticed that both cameras start from 99% - 65%, then jump down to 15%.

Another issue I have found is whenever I adjust the time durations it never inputs the correct input.  For example, if I adjust the time for 30 secs; after I save and go back to check it will be set to 15 seconds.  Go back to readjust, then goes lower to 10 seconds.  Whatever time I put in there, I will be half that after saving. 

-Elvis