Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
sorova
Aspirant
Aspirant

The camera works ok but the icon indicating low battery life continues even after I have charged the batteries.

Any way to reset this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

sorova wrote:

I checked the voltage of each battery and they were about 3.5 volts each, which is above the rating of 3v. This was on no-load with a meter.

Are you using 3.7v rechargeables OR 3 v rechargeables ???

3.7 come in fully charged at 4.2v off charge

3.0v cell come in at 3.4v or so

The battery algorithm  base may see them as low since they are more than OEM ( at 3.2 ) and less than 4.2,

and it was optimized to work with the oem and 3.7v cells

As a PS... I don't think the 3v cells will read as full and many have shown to cause problems

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Is it possible you're using a browser to see this?  If so, try clearing the cache - might be using old data.

StickMan
Aspirant
Aspirant

This is a known problem with Tenergy CR123a batteries. These appear to be poor quality batteries as i have the very same problem. The manufacturer says this is normal for the first few charges for the cell to not hold a full charge but it seems these cells never hold a full charge. There is a rumor floating that it could be the charger provided with the Cr123A and that a Nitecore charger will produce a better quality charge, but this is not known as yet as no one has posted any information regarding swapping the charger out.

sorova wrote:

The camera works ok but the icon indicating low battery life continues even after I have charged the batteries.

Any way to reset this?

sorova
Aspirant
Aspirant

I checked the voltage of each battery and they were about 3.5 volts each, which is above the rating of 3v. This was on no-load with a meter.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

sorova wrote:

Are you using 3.7v rechargeables OR 3 v rechargeables ???

3.7 come in fully charged at 4.2v off charge

3.0v cell come in at 3.4v or so

The battery algorithm  base may see them as low since they are more than OEM ( at 3.2 ) and less than 4.2,

and it was optimized to work with the oem and 3.7v cells

As a PS... I don't think the 3v cells will read as full and many have shown to cause problems

sorova
Aspirant
Aspirant

I didn't know there even were 4v rechargeables at this physical size. Can you direct me to somewhere that sells them please?

I am using 3v since that is all the shop sold. Thanks

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Google "16340". Also, check the Buying Options and Tips forum for many threads. Note that while Netgear doesn't support the use of rechargeable batteries, a number of us have been using them quite successfully and with no problems. Just make sure you investigate the issues and suggestions and use protected batteries.

sorova
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks, but what do you mean Protected Battery?

sorova
Aspirant
Aspirant

I googled it and it says

Nitecore Protected 16340 (CR123A) 3.7v 650mah Li-Ion Battery (NL166)

$17.00

High performance protected CR123A (also known as RCR123A, CR123 and 16340) rechargeable Li-Ion battery. Commonly used in high drain devices such as portable every day carry LED torches. Nitecore' s NL1666 Li-Ion...

They are not 4v either - are they ok?
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

sorova wrote:

They are not 4v either - are they ok?

They are 3.7v which will charge when full to 4.2v off charge, and settle down after a few hour to a slightly lower voltage; say 4.18+/-

And this is the built in safety factor curcuit ; 

Features built in high performance protected circuitry. Automatically protects against over discharge, over charge and short circuiting.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

I would like to thank you for your posts and contributions! I want to make sure you take a look at an article outlining best practices when it comes to batteries. For those involved in this discussion I encourage you to review Remember these golden rules for your Arlo camera batteries along with BATTERY WARNINGS AND SAFETY.

Thank you for sharing! 

JamesC