Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Battery indication

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
ohayonguy
Follower
Follower

Hello all,

I wanted to ask if somebody knows how does the Arlo's battery indication works?

Does it measures voltage and estimates the remained capacity? Does it uses columb counter?

If I am using primary 3V batteries, than the voltage curve is different than if I would have used the rechargable 3.7 123A batteries. So how can the Arlo tell how much battery capacity is remained?

I plan to use a large battery pack (about 20Ah) wired to the Arlo, so I want to make sure it will know how much battery capacity is really remained (if it uses columb counter, than it wouldn't work well :()

Thanks.

1 REPLY 1
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Good question...

TBOMK, it seems to use the voltage sensed at time of battery placement and then that is set against a cutoff voltage level... I also guess it's using two different ' data sets' to that end ...which is why it can work with the 3v ( actually 3.2v when new ) and the 3.7 li-ions ( usu about 4.18+/- to 4.2 (when off charge )) Cam cut off or warning to replace OEm cells ( about 10% ) on the cells is 2.75v-2.8v  ( think its 3v on the li-ions not 100% sure )

I have run the Arlo on a large 6v gell cell but at that time It was being recharged by a solar panel with a simple LM317 chip circuit s a regulator... so I can't give you much info on just a large pack.

I would just use the normal info we have and base you aprox life on that data.... Max current is just about 250ma +/- and usu half running at 150 +/- ma  when live... and the internal OEM primary cells have a capacity of 3000mahr.

For me the OEM last just about 4 months on best video so a simple calc would say a 20ahr pack may get about 2 years of SPEC usage.. ( not counting for self-discharge, etc )

Interesting to see how it works out for you... PM if any other questions

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------