Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Guide
Guide

Hi,

I've purchased an Arlo 4 camera set.  I've seen battery life reviews that are all over the map, from 1 week to 4 months.

Can I get a feel for what other's experiences are with battery life?

82 REPLIES 82
dschiapp
Initiate
Initiate

I have five cameras on optimized video quality and catch less than 4 minutes per day on average and I burn through batteries every 2-3 weeks.  Becoming unsuable because the C123 batteries are terribly expensive.  

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

dschiapp wrote:

I have five cameras on optimized video quality and catch less than 4 minutes per day on average and I burn through batteries every 2-3 weeks.  Becoming unsuable because the C123 batteries are terribly expensive.  

Something is not right with this... you should be seeing at least 3 months if not 4...

How far are the cameras and what is the building construction?

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
Bobkathaire
Aspirant
Aspirant
Just started my 9th month on original batteries. Strange that it still says they are all at full strength. Each one records a maximum of 3 minutes per day at optimized quality level. I think the indicator not linear, will probably not drop till batteries near depletion.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

correct... mine on 2 cams went seven months.

Went to two bars and 5 days later I got the 10% email notice.  It's a quick drop off but not as fast as with rechargeables ( 1 day after email )

dslam1
Aspirant
Aspirant

@TomMac

I'm having issues where batteries are going bad after 5 days.  Brand new duracell ones as the energizer ones were junk.  The whole system worked fine for a month, then its been going offline every 3 days for the past 3 weeks and all batteries are shot all of the time.  When was the last firmware update?  I'm sure thats what is causing it. 

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The latest Arlo cam sw is 1.2.2688   ( on my scribbled notes it says 7/9 , but not sure. Can say the change was  way before your problems tho as its been at least 2 months. ) and I don't think that's your problem as more would having similar problems.

As to batteries, I've used both and no noted difference ( one is rated at 1400mahr, the other 1500. minor amount in the big picture )

When you say the whole sytem is going off-line.. do u mean the base too?

If I was to make an educated guess with the info given, I would more suspect the base having problems and/or interference but not the batteries.  If the system drops out, I believe the cams ping more looking for the base and that may be draining the batteries more.

mhammo
Tutor
Tutor

So far my experiene has been disappointing. In addition to the system oing offline too frequently, 2-3 times per week; yet, none of my other internet connected systems have an issues; the batteries on one of the cmas lasted about 9 days. And most of that time has been spent in sleep mode.

This one may have been due to some holiday traffic setting off the motion; but I find odd as I don't turn on motion control until midnight. The logs show now captures so I don't think it's due to too much activity.

The other 2 cameras are now offline and I don't know what their status is.

The portal seems flaky as well;I named the cameras and I saw the new names for a few days, but now they ahve all revertedback to their id numbers.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

mhammo,

The Arlo team is making several updates to the cloud and to all the apps as a part of the new release today. Some users may experience issues during this process and we apologize for any inconvenience this might cause. We expect the issues to be resolved in a very short time frame.

JamesC

Arlo_In_The_Biz
Tutor
Tutor

One thing I've learned regarding batteries. I have a 4 wireless system setup in my office and I received two notifications that batteries were low in two of the four camera's. Both of the reporting low battery camera's get used quite often as they watch the front and back doors to our office, lots of recording. This is fine and expected. I purchased a 12 pack of batteries from Amazon which got delivered to the office while I was on holiday. I get back today and get the first camera down and start replacing the batteries. For giggles, I decide to test the batteries to see how depleted they actually are and here's the thing, one of the batteries is fully charged, like not even a smidge of juice has been used. OK, maybe that's a fluke. Second camera, same thing, three fully depleted, one full. Odd. I check the other two camera's and sure enough, one in each camera is at full capacity. I believe that one battery is reserved to keep the system on notice and isn't actually used other than to tell the system that the other batteries are low and to keep the camera from being removed from the system.

Check your batteries because there is a good chance that if you've replaced all four, you more than likely threw away a perfectly good battery.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Check your batteries because there is a good chance that if you've replaced all four, you more than likely threw away a perfectly good battery.

That's strange.... being the cells are in series (both sets in parallel) ... if one in the chain is used, so is the other.

From over 3 months of running rechargeables and testing all the cells every day, each and every cell fell off in voltage in the expected manner. A completion all cells were usu within .3 v of each other.  Actually the higher cell sat in the back row tho.

But a word to the wise, I wouldn't use them ( tho they read good ) back in a camera ( maybe a flashlight) .   I've seen to many situ's where good cells are put in with used cells and results aren't always good ... with sometimes leakage of cells

Arlo_In_The_Biz
Tutor
Tutor

"I wouldn't use them"  

Well I did use them and according to the battery meter on the app, both camera's are at full battery life.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Arlo_In_The_Biz wrote:

"I wouldn't use them"  

Well I did use them and according to the battery meter on the app, both camera's are at full battery life.

Ok, thats no problem.... Hope it works for you.

Like stated, Ive seen leakage from using older cells with new.

Myself I consider the $150 camera more important the a $1.25 cell.

Vaz
Star
Star
I've had my 2 cam system for almost 4 months now, cam 1 on front drive and cam 2 to rear garden both have been set to medium optimised quality and both recording at 20secs at time.

To answer your questions both cams are set to detect motion through out the day without programmed breaks, the batteries in cam 1 has just expired estimating a battery life of 3.5 month, cam 2 to rear is still running and this is during all types of weather.

What you have to take into account is my front drive cam is naturally going to detect more activity than the rear also due to motion & recording settings.

My only gripe is I was only warned of the batteries demise after the batteries were already dead an issue I hope Arlo/Netgear will look into, earlier warning would be much appreciated. Will be reducing recording to 15sec which should extend the life further and ordering new batteries.

In the long run I'm still impressed with the camera's durability to perform in a variety of conditions.

sdma
Aspirant
Aspirant
I just got the two camera set up today and one camera is full bar yet the other camera is at minimal level giving me a low battery alert? I mean seriously a battery life of only one day??? And motion wasn't even on for the whole day. Have I been sold a dud?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Possibly but try opening and closing the camera door to reset the camera as well as swapping batteries between cameras.  If the issue follows the batteries a new set should solve the issue.

rhbowhunter
Aspirant
Aspirant

I installed these cameras 4 days ago and i'm already seeing the batteries depleating thats not good. I have the motion set very low ony recording maybe two to three times a night and video quaility is set low, I must say I love this security system it was excatly what I was looking for, but the battery problem isn't good in my eyes. I will be returning these cameras I really wanted to keep them but I cant afford to keep replacing batteries. I wish they had plug in cameras because Arlo system is a winner to me. I love the Arlo Q but I need four outdoor cameras and replacing 16 batteries every few weeks will cost to much... 😞 Please Arlo come out with plug in cameras you have a winner here. 

rhbowhunter
Aspirant
Aspirant

Nope same happened to my brother 4 cam setup two good 2 died in 24 hours, I'm disapointed 

Vaz
Star
Star
It could be a false reading because of extremely cold temperatures, try taking the cameras in doors, taking the batteries out for about 15mins to allow them to get to room temperature then reinstalling them, that should do the trick. It has worked for me. On medium record and 15sec duration at front drive they lasted 4 months Max in all conditions.
Vaz
Star
Star
Also minimise your record time to at least 12 - 15 seconds and play around with the detection sensitivity so that it doesn't pick to much unwanted information.
STARRTYME
Aspirant
Aspirant

Using extended battery life mode I still get about a month out of my batteries whether I use  2200ma rechargeables or Alkaline... still not bad a month? 

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

STARRTYME wrote:

Using extended battery life mode I still get about a month out of my batteries whether I use  2200ma rechargeables or Alkaline... still not bad a month? 

FYI there are no 2200 mahr rechargeables in the real world... you can not physically fit more than 700+/- mahr of chemistry in the 123 size package.

Any cell listed higher (like the china cells, almost all that end in *fire ) is over rated and will prob be more like 500 mahr.

A 500mahr cell form our heavy testing in the past last about 30-40 days, while the "known brands" at real 700mahr lasted over 60. ( quality cells avg in at 50-55 days )

Also, The OEM cells aren't alki cells but lithium ( don't think there's alki in 123 format but I could be wrong )

Normal use with the OEM you should be seeing closer to 4 months...remember spec use is 4 min per day.  If your using the Arlos heavy then yes the OEMs will not last long and you may be better off with rechargeables.

But, make sure your rechargeables are of a known brand with a PCB ( prptectio device for overcharge, over drain ) as there's been one cam on this board that melted near fire due to cheap cells AND use a proper charger

dgermain
Aspirant
Aspirant

i was told by the salesperson that i wouldnt need to replace batteries for 3 months... the first set of batteries, that came with purchase, lasted 6 weeks so i figured they were in the box for a period of time and probably week... i purchased 4 more expensive batteries from local hardware store... these didnt even make 2 week mark.... i t hen purchased another set thinking, maybe those were also week.... well here we are at week 2 and nothing but orange light blinking.

at this point i am very disapointed with this investment. we bought this to use as a baby monitor and now i find myself investing arlo wireless battery money on a baby monitor.

i have searched this web-site for email to complain but all i could find was this discussion page.

thanks

darrengermain@comcast.net

rhbowhunter
Aspirant
Aspirant
I returned my arlo system I invested in a 4 camera wired system it was a pain to install but now Im so happy video is awesome came with a terabyte of storage on a DVR and 4 cameras only cost 279.00 dollars. It's the way to go no battery issues anymore.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

dgermain wrote:

i was told by the salesperson that i wouldnt need to replace batteries for 3 months... the first set of batteries, that came with purchase, lasted 6 weeks so i

darrengermain@comcast.net

Usage is on batteries so there is a finite life... Spec use is 4 mins per day of use ( viewing or recording ) to make the 4 month mark.

If you using the cameras much more, the batteries will of course drain faster.  (btw,  I have no problem getting to the forth month mark with my cameras )

It is not ment to be a 24/7 type camera but really is a "motion record" type of camera , ie; meant to be in sleep mode till motion is detected and then record for a short time.

tivoboy
Apprentice
Apprentice

It doesn't really seem like there IS a low power mode

I'm having some similar issues.. batteries showing up as low, then go to RED and DEAD at least the cameras indicate it as such.

If the batteries really are dying this fast, something is going on that shouldn't.  Having had the VUE system for years, with my usage profile (only when away on holidays and some days - set to motion and not sensing ANY motion) I used to replace batteries MAYBE once every 2-3 years.

Now, it's looking like having to replace batteries once every 4-6 months, so 3-4X WORSE as far as batter life goes.  

Hopefully, they will fix this or indicate it better.