Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Batteries dead after one month of installation

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Azor
Aspirant
Aspirant
I recently installed 4 Arlo cameras with full battery life. I turned off the cameras from the settings on my Arlo App and also turned off the base station. I powered back the base station after about 3 weeks and noticed all my camera batteries were dead!

I’m shocked at this as I thought turning off the cameras and base station should preserve the battery life.

I have had to purchase brand new batteries for my cameras after just a month!

Has anyone had similar experience? Aren’t arlo camera battery life supposed to last up to 6 months? I need advice on what to do to ensure my replacement batteries last longer
3 REPLIES 3
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It was your turning off of the base that caused this.  Turning the cameras off using the On/Off switch in Settings disables the camera but it still needs to connect to the base so you could eventually turn them back on. Since the base was off, the cameras wasted their batteries by trying to contact the base which didn't respond.

In the future, don't turn the base off unless you're also going to remove the batteries.

Azor
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thank you so much for this explanation! Would disconnecting my base station from the internet but still leaving it on also drain the camera batteries? In other words, would the batteries still communicate with the base station if it is on but not connected to the internet
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

No, that wouldn't drain the batteries but I see no advantage in doing so.