Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Base station will not connect to internet

galevelasco
Aspirant
Aspirant

I restarted it because one of the cameras would not connect. The base station shows a solid amber light. I reset my router and Arlo multiple times. Any more ideas why it won't connect? Thanks

429 REPLIES 429
bkirkpatrick
Guide
Guide

So Arlo is under siege with data packets that they had no idea was going to happen on Black Friday?  I would fire the head of I.T., or maybe he told his supervisors who brushed him off.

LGuy
Aspirant
Aspirant

I wonder if Arlo will be doing a recall with all these complaints and their constant busy customer service line!?!

Tht1Guy
Tutor
Tutor

I have a VMB 4000 but for some reason it doesn't show up above. But yes, I have had the same problem for most of the day and is continuing. At first an orage error message was at the heading of my app and only got worse from there saying my base is offline. I have called numerous times to their Tech Support and Netgear decided it was best to shut off the phone lines and all you'll ever get is a "busy" signal. Any other information would be helpful as this is a bit ridiculous. I understand being down for a short bit but for almost the entire day?

redeyeken
Aspirant
Aspirant

Shopping around for a new system now.  Plenty on sale ..... not Arlo. 

Tht1Guy
Tutor
Tutor

I have a VMB 4000 but for some reason it doesn't show up above. But yes, I have had the same problem for most of the day and is continuing. At first an orage error message was at the heading of my cell app and only got worse from there saying my base is offline. I have called numerous times to their Tech Support and Netgear decided it was best to shut off the phone lines and all you'll ever get is a "busy" signal. Any other information would be helpful as this is a bit ridiculous. I understand being down for a short bit but for almost the entire day? This is the first time I have seen this and have had mine for almost 6mo. Every now and then you'll get an error but usually fixes itself in no time. Maybe 20-30min. 

Tht1Guy
Tutor
Tutor

I have a VMB 4000 but for some reason it doesn't show up above. But yes, I have had the same problem for most of the day and is continuing. At first an orage error message was at the heading of my cell app and only got worse from there saying my base is offline. I have called numerous times to their Tech Support and Netgear decided it was best to shut off the phone lines and all you'll ever get is a "busy" signal. Any other information would be helpful as this is a bit ridiculous. I understand being down for a short bit but for almost the entire day? This is the first time I have seen this and have had mine for almost 6mo. Every now and then you'll get an error but usually fixes itself in no time. Maybe 20-30min. 

Audi99a4
Tutor
Tutor
I am also a recent purchaser of this Arlo product and experiencing what seems to be an outage at Arlo that is preventing me from setting up the product. I wish I somehow knew this prior to spending 3 hours going through all of the diagnostics with my router and the Arlo base.

Can someone from Arlo please tell us when they expect the network to be up and running? Also, is this something that happens frequent enough to cause issues once I do have things set up?
Audi99a4
Tutor
Tutor
And while we're all here...

Any suggestions on other cameras to consider? I was considering the Amazon Cloud Cam or the Nest Cam. Anyone try these products?
cgeorge614
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello, 

SN is: 48935879A354D

I could only get the factory default button to work when NOT pressing the sync button.  I tried several times with and without the sync button.  

After each successful factory reset I'm still unable to get the base to connect to the internet.  Everything else in the house is working fine connected to the internet.

hokeysmoke
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Audi99a4 wrote:
... is this something that happens frequent enough to cause issues once I do have things set up?

Going back through my posts (I've had Arlo cameras since they were introduced), it appears the last time I noticed a server outage was back in 2015.  So for me, these things haven't happened very often.

ZURV4N
Aspirant
Aspirant

Looks like I'm in the same boat as everybody else.  Bought the three camera deal at Costco.  No Internet - just a solid amber light after trying several of the suggestions at the top of this thread.

I'll give them until tomorrow to fix it, then I'm returning it to Costco (thank heavens for fantastic customer service there).  It's a shame, I had high hopes after reading good reviews online.

Audi99a4
Tutor
Tutor
Hokeysmoke, Tks for the reply...it's good to know that it isn't frequent and that we may be able to chalk this up as a fluke caused by the Black Friday rush. Although it's inconvenient, I'm hoping it's just a hiccup that will be resolved and we can all be on our merry way. Otherwise, this is just a clusterf*ck of a situation.
Tht1Guy
Tutor
Tutor

Here's a tip for you guys. Don't 100% rely on the cloud and the app. Yes its down and is annoying as hell but purchase an extenal hard drive and connect it to your base. Even if the network is down or even your own internet, it'll always record to the hard drive. So basically, I have both the convenient cloud storage and raw data on a hard drive in my house. Although I like to see what's going on live and hate to see their network down, I know all of my 10 cameras are recording all over my house. 

EpicCel
Tutor
Tutor

The problem is that most of us cannot configure them, because the base station is not connecting to the Arlo servers.  I have a USB drive attached, it just has no camera to put footage on it.  

Maybe Netgear should let the base station configure itself off their service, that would be step #1. 

loan1129
Aspirant
Aspirant

This product is **bleep**, nothing works.  For a high price they cannot get their act together.
Factory reset the router like 10 times but the internet LED is still Amber.

I would NEVER recommend this product, in fact will recommend AGAINST this product to everyone I know unless I quickly get a solution.

Rcunning90
Tutor
Tutor
I am having the issues described on this post. What do you mean by a change to the back-end?
I had connectivity for a year now. After moving the station today the connection must have come loose and now it will not reconnect. I've reset and changed out the Ethernet cable and still no green lights. Just amber.
manfredz
Hero
Hero

Netgear had a major server outtage today.  Some like myself are back ok, but others not, so not all servers back

EpicCel
Tutor
Tutor

Rcunning90 wrote:
I am having the issues described on this post. What do you mean by a change to the back-end?
I had connectivity for a year now. After moving the station today the connection must have come loose and now it will not reconnect. I've reset and changed out the Ethernet cable and still no green lights. Just amber.

At this time, I can only suggest you wait until the Netgear Arlo servers get back online correctly.  Although I am new to this product, I expect the issue comes from "Black Friday" and extreme server loads.  Netgear will have to scale this service up and I feel they didn't expect such numbers.  

I'm waiting until sunday.  If the service is not functional by then, I will go with the "Ring" camera option.  My ring doorbell didn't go down today ;-).

Rcunning90
Tutor
Tutor
Looks like it was just bad luck based off reading more of the above posts. Servers at arlo down? Can we get an eta of when they will be back up? I need my cameras online.
mcmu12
Luminary
Luminary
Have had mine almost 2.5 years and don’t remember this ever happening before.
Rcunning90
Tutor
Tutor
I do not remember this ever either. I've had them for a great time like yourself and no issues.
hokeysmoke
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

The last time I recall this happening was in 2015.  It was then that I added a request in the Community Feedback to notify us when the system is down (linked below).  Apparently that request has still not been acted upon.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Community-Feedback/Tell-us-when-you-are-down/m-p/428#M21

SALAZAR7
Initiate
Initiate
Just bought the 5 camera system. Figured the cost was representative of durability and ease of use... the base station will not connect to the internet, so i cant set it up with the app. When will this be fixed?
YuMaNuMa
Aspirant
Aspirant

For a premium system like Arlo, this was not expected. Netgear IT has a lot of explaining to do, especially if they can't get this fixed before the weekend is out. Bought it on sale in Australia (after my last one died a week into use and the retailer gave me a refund instead of replacing). Great system when it's actually working but reliability is a massive factor when it comes to security cameras. Definitely reconsidering purchase if outage isn't fixed soon. 

Lacy77
Initiate
Initiate
Model vmb 3000 sn 4895797LA0414 will not connect cable provider can see the MAC address can someone please help