Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
JaneM
Star
Star

What is the password for the new base station?  It will not connect to my router without one. Eeek.

thank you 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

The arlo Base station connects to the internet via an Ethernet cable from your local router modem. No password is required.

The pro5 Cameras can either connect to the Base station without a password and can also connect directly to the local network router wifi which does require the password.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

The arlo Base station connects to the internet via an Ethernet cable from your local router modem. No password is required.

The pro5 Cameras can either connect to the Base station without a password and can also connect directly to the local network router wifi which does require the password.

JaneM
Star
Star

Thank you for the info.

I did connect  the new hub directly to the WiFi via the Ethernet cable.  For some reason, the camera is not connecting to the new hub which is connected via Ethernet cable to the WiFi router.  I have had an Arlo hub for years with no need of a pwd.  I will try disconnecting the original hub - maybe that is the issue.  Additionally I will try using my old Ethernet cable rather than the one that came with new hub.  

[sigh, I do hope all of this effort is worth it]

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

There have been recent issues with adding devices of late, some users have had better luck by using the alternative app on the my.arlo.com web browser on a pc connected to the router via Ethernet.

JaneM
Star
Star

Okay.  Nothing works.  The hub starts with a blue light then goes to blinking orange.  Send it back?

JaneM
Star
Star

Also, can the new pro5 connect to my old base station?

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

The pro5 will work with either VMB 4xxx or 5000 series, just not with the 3000 series.

The pro5 can also connect directly to the internet via your local network router modem setup.

https://kb.arlo.com/000062770/Which-Arlo-Cameras-and-Doorbells-work-directly-with-my-Wi-Fi-router 

JaneM
Star
Star

Success! With the old hub.  I used my old Ethernet cable. All cameras [old and new] are log in to the old hub and working.  The new cameras did receive the new firmware update through the old hub.

Now, new questions:

- how long will the old hub work with the new cameras?  

- how can we get the new hub to work?

- what features is the new hub supposed to provide?

Thank you again 🙂

JaneM
Star
Star

Does this mean that the new camera connects to the router without a cable?  Kinda like the HP air printer?

if so, will slow my internet speed? 

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

Yes, The pro5 can operate either by direct connection to the local wifi network if configured, I.e. no base station is required or via the arlo Base station.

Yes, it would reduce your local wifi bandwidth to your remote devices such as a smart tv or iPad.

The Base station advantages allow for extended range by placement of the station at a better location closer to remote cameras as well as giving you backup storage features.

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

Regards adding the new base, use the Ethernet cable to connect to the local router similar to the existing old base, you can have multiple Base on an account. Then add device.

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

Just to add that the arlo smart hubs vmb4540, 5000 offer direct access storage to local backup recordings.

https://kb.arlo.com/000062337/What-is-Direct-Storage-Access-and-how-do-I-use-it-for-Arlo-video-recor...