Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Base station offline. Getting "Your base station is not connected to the internet" error message.

Discussion stats
natalieb10
Guide
Guide

Just installed Arlo and can't get it to work properly. The LED internet light is green. The cameras are synced and are sending alerts, recording activity. My base station shows as 'offline' and I get the "your base station is not connected to the internet..." error message under the "Cameras" section both on the website and app. Anyone else have this issue?

49 REPLIES 49
D-Arlo
Aspirant
Aspirant
Brand new owner here. Mine worked yesterday after setting up cameras, finding good positions and mounting them.
The first time I tried accessing the cameras while away I had the Base station off line error.
They are back online this morning.
To the users that have had these systems for a while now. Have you found the Arlo system to be solid and had no problems ?
At first impressions it looks like a great system.
arlolosangeles
Guide
Guide
It's been great for a while. Almost a year on my end. But sudden collapse of base station connectivity has destroyed my confidence in the system. Would be hard to recommend at this point. Just died out of the blue with no heads-up from Arlo to the scores of other customers that an update or anything might have compromised the network! 😞
texbeau
Apprentice
Apprentice
I agree. That's my only complaint. Lack of communication from Arlo to its customers. I understand things like system outages have to occur, but the lack of communications sends a message of apathy from Arlo.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Over the weekend we experienced an outage that may have affected a small number of users. This was resolved a short time after the outage was discovered and we are investigating the root cause. Please let us know if you are still experiencing any issues.

JamesC

arlolosangeles
Guide
Guide
Still experiencing issues!!!!
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

arlolosangeles,

What is the behavior of the internet LED on the base station?

JamesC

arlolosangeles
Guide
Guide
Unlit. Was green consistently for months. Now dark.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

arlolosangeles,

An unlit LED tells us the base station is not communicating with the router. Have you tried using an entirely different ethernet cable and router port? Do any other devices work when plugged directly into the router (ie laptop, pc)?

JamesC

D-Arlo
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hello James,
I had trouble on Sunday here in Australia.
It is a brand new system installed 1 day before.
I think it is very important for netgear to send out e-mails regarding possible outages as I spent 4 hours on Sunday afternoon thinking I had somehow changed a setting and caused the issue.
The lights on my base system stayed green while it was having the issue.
Cameras seem to be fine now and worked perfectly yesterday. It was a 1 day issue for me here.

Regards,
Dean
arlolosangeles
Guide
Guide
Yes. Other devices connected to router are working fine. Tried multiple ports with ethernet cable. But not a different cable.
traley
Aspirant
Aspirant

why are these posts 10 months old??

DrKK
Aspirant
Aspirant

Arlo base station offline, cannot connect to the internet. No buttons to make it go online. lost all utility

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

DrKK,

Are you seeing an error message that is indicating the base station is offline? What is the LED behavior of the base station? 

JamesC

Geddo
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi James,

I have this issue. It worked completely fine up until about 2 weeks ago. My base station is online. It is saving recordings to my library. However my cameras are 'offline' and I am not receiving any alerts.

Can you help please?

Regards,

Andy

Tigermark
Aspirant
Aspirant
Following this thread. Worked fine for a couple of weeks then just gave this offline error. Tried everything I can think of. At this point wish I would have gone with a different product. Frustrated!
Tigermark
Aspirant
Aspirant
"Removed" device, unplugged, removed internet connection....plugged all back in....did "add" device and started working again. Went down while I was on vacation and could not monitor the house so still frustrating that this happened after only a few weeks. Would like to know what caused it in the first place.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Geddo,

Check your rules to make sure push notifications are enable for each camera. Modes > choose the mode that triggers motion detection > click edit on the rule you want to change > enable push notifications.

Are you seeing your cameras offline across multiple devices/browsers? If the cameras are recording content to your library the issue may be isolated to the device you are using to view.  Are you able to isolate the issue to a specific device?

JamesC

JSB
Aspirant
Aspirant
Having the same problem. I've restarted the base base station, deactivated it, and tried to add it again, but nothing worked. Message says that the base station and my phone have to be on the same internet connect and they are! What else should I do?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

There could be various issues but try a browser first.  

guidodg
Apprentice
Apprentice

I also cannot get my Arlo base station to connect to the internet via my Time Capsule router...amber light remains on....what am I doing wrong?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Might be your router. Who owns it - you or your ISP? If the latter, you'll need to contact them.
Make_it_work
Aspirant
Aspirant
Under devices it says "your Arlow device appears offline" yet the base has all the lights green, camera "clicks" with motion and says it's linked to base station under settings yet says it's offline. Under "my devices" it just says offline and doesn't let me do anything. When I go under device settings, it won't let me restart and the option is just grey. I've restarted everything, re-synced, and checked my router which works fine. I've restarted my base and feel like I've tried everything. There is no number to call for help and I'm really frustrated I've wasted hours trying to get this to work. Horrible customer service. Someone please help!
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Sure there's a number to call.  The desktop version of these pages has a big Contact Support link at the bottom.

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

guidodg,

Take a look at your router settings and make sure there is nothing blocking the required ports for Arlo. For more information, see here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Knowledge-Base/My-Arlo-base-station-is-offline-how-can-I-troub...

Also, be sure the ethernet cable along with the router port are both working (try testing another device to make sure it gets an internet connection using that port/cable).

Make_it_work,

If the base shows all green lights, that means it is online and connected to the internet. This could be a display issue with the client you are using. Consider logging in from another device (mobile app) and try again to further isolate the issue.

JamesC

guidodg
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks guys...all sorted after I spoke to my ISP...was a double NAT issue or something:)