Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
kimovski
Follower
Follower

I'm a new comer on this forum, and have been lurkin around for a while. This is my first post.

You may have read the thread around powering an Arlo wireless camera via a USB Micro cable here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Wire-Free-camera/How-to-hardwire-power-using-the-USB-port/m-p/... which is super-cool.

Because my Arlo wireless cameras are already out of warranty I'm going to try and build a wireless, solar powered setup with the help of a Xiaomi powerbank 10400mAh (with pass through charging function) and a foldable high power solar cell delivering 2.1 amps via USB to the powerbank.

The use case is that I do not need to think about replacing any batteries ever and build some kind of weather proof case to the solar/powerbank kit. Also I need to weather proof the original Arlo battery hatch somehow.

I'm thinking it would be good to separate the powerbank, solarcells and Arlo Wireless cam into separate "modules" so they're easy to service and fiddle around with if needed. Also its nice to be able to replace the USB solar panels if some new, smaller panels are released on the market.

Any thoughts or other ideas if this project actually might work?

If yes, I will post some pictures.

3 REPLIES 3
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

kimovski,

For the benefit of other community members reading this thread I must advise that the micro-usb port on the camera is not intended to be used in this way, unintentional use, as you illustrate above, may damage the camera and will void the warranty. 

If you have any additional questions regarding this please ask, I would be happy to clarify!

JamesC

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru
Any thoughts or other ideas if this project actually might work? Yes and no....reason for same is the USB port is set at 5v and the system really needs about 6.4 to 8.4v dc.... So is the camera calls for more power and the voltage is set, the current must increase.... the usb may not handle this as it was intended as a way to update the writable memory only.... exceeded the capacity of the usb port may make the smoke come out... when smoke comes out of the chips , the magic goes with it and then no longer works 🙂
--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

everyone does realize this thread is from a YEAR ago

Morse is faster than texting!