• 13 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
cumekyad1
Aspirant
Aspirant

HW Version - H7

Firmware - 1.2.10342

The range contiunes to get shorter and shorter, only about 3 feet now. Reset cameras, new batteries - no difference. When doing the motion test they work great and show a good distance, but once the test funciton is no longer on, the range is lost. Currenty have tryed on 50%, 75% and 100% sensitivity with the results being the same for all levels. 

Thanks, 

13 REPLIES 13
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Open a case with support using the Contact Support link at the bottom.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

cumekyad1,

Consider (temporarily) testing the camera in a different location to further isolate the issue. Do you see the same results?

JamesC

cumekyad1
Aspirant
Aspirant

tryed that and in multiple light settings - IR and in daylight. Same results. It's just like the sensors go bad after a year or two. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
If all the cameras are doing this, it's an issue with the base or interference with the WiFi connection between the base and cameras due to a 2.4GHz wireless device near the base.
Timz717
Aspirant
Aspirant
Jguerdat: can you elaborate about interference with the wifi connection please.

Do you mean move the base station farther than the wifi router?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

While some users have reported that moving the base further from the base has helped resolve issues and is a worthwhile adventure for testing (use a long Ethernet cable or a WiFi extender with an Ethernet port), what I meant is that various wireless devices also use the 2.4GHz band and can interfere with the WiFi signal between the base and cameras.  These devices can be other WiFi routers, cordless phones, microwave ovens, etc., etc.  Do you have any wireless devices near your base?

Timz717
Aspirant
Aspirant
I recently moved one of my routers in the other room. About 20 ft away with 2 walls in between the router and the netgear base station.

But prior to this move, the router was in a room directly above the netgear base station. The distance is about 18 ft with 1 flooring in between.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
I suppose you could try plugging the base into your other router.
Timz717
Aspirant
Aspirant
I tried that but it seem that the reaction of the base station is alot slower when its connected to that router. I was having trouble loading even live feed from any of the cameras.

I think the base station was designed to be connected directly to the main router. Which is cumbersome.

I'll try and move the router further see if it will work, or switch off the 2.4 ghz band and see if the cameras would respond faster.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
The use of a secondary router shouldn't make a difference unless there's a communication issue between devices. Do you really need the second router? Perhaps newer solution like the Orbi would be useful. Tommac can give you details.
Timz717
Aspirant
Aspirant
Orbi?

Unfortunately i need a second router in my home to get a wifi signal throughout the house.

*update about having the 2nd router location. It seems that's not the cause because i disconnected and powered off the router, and yet the problem persists.

Could it be the channels?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Timz717 wrote:
Orbi?

http://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/orbi/?cid=us-orbi-srch&utm_source=search&utm_medium=...

*update about having the 2nd router location. It seems that's not the cause because i disconnected and powered off the router, and yet the problem persists.

Could it be the channels?

Possible but, since it's happening to all cameras and getting worse, I'd have to surmise the base radio is having an issue.  Only an open case with support will get this fixed.

Timz717
Aspirant
Aspirant
just to give you an update. I resolved my issues by taking everything into account.

I changed the router channel, reset all the cameras (including the rules), moved the location of the base router a few feet away. Then started working again..

Thank you for your help