Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo wired doorbell pre installation questions

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Goines72
Follower
Follower

Hi friends

I have some simple questions the installation instructions, guides, videos does not explain for me enough. 

I want to know before start to disassemble existing installation

Some things I don't get 100% and just guess...

1. Why no good connection diagrams anywhere? Did I miss some Userguide..?

2 if my existing chimebox supports voltage requirements. Is the powerful installed in parallel with the doorbell?

3. If I use included arlo transformer and other my existing chimebox. Do I still need the power kit? What is the purpose of the power kit? To stabilize supply to camera or more?

4. If I cannot use existing chime and use included transformer.  Will my mobile ring when doorbell is pushed or I need another arlo chimebox as well?

5. How to remove the flat mounting plate best. Just force a plectrum around really hard? It is really stuck hard..?

Thank you

3 REPLIES 3
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

FWIW,  I agree it would be good to have full documentation on the install.  I like to know what I'm getting into before I start (and if something goes wrong, it is useful to have stand-alone documentation, and not just the step-by-step prompts in the app).

@Goines72 wrote:

What is the purpose of the power kit? 

A standard doorbell is just a switch.  So your chime is normally not seeing any voltage, but sees voltage (and current) when the doorbell is pressed.

But the AVD1001 is not just a switch, and it needs power basically all the time (there is a small internal battery, but not enough).  Since the circuit runs through the chime, that means that the chime is also seeing some voltage current - even when the doorbell is not being pressed.  That can cause issues with the chime.

The purpose of the powerkit is to divert the power away from the chime when the doorbell isn't being pressed.  So you don't need it if the chime is not connected.  It is wired at the chime, from the lead coming from the doorbell to the transformer lead.  If you have two chimes (as I do), you only need the power kit installed for one of them. 

@Goines72 wrote:

4. If I cannot use existing chime and use included transformer.  Will my mobile ring when doorbell is pushed or I need another arlo chimebox as well?

You will receive a phone call when the doorbell is pressed.  If you want others in the house to hear the chime, then you could purchase a compatible traditional chime, or add an Arlo Chime 2 the system.

@Goines72 wrote:

5. How to remove the flat mounting plate best. Just force a plectrum around really hard? It is really stuck hard..?

It should release when you insert the pin into the release hole at the bottom of the doorbell.  

Sometimes reinserting the doorbell can be a bit tricky - depending on how much wire is underneath.

PCLocal4Reels
Aspirant
Aspirant

Does it matter where the spade connectors for the power kit are positioned (on top of the transformer wires or beneath the transformer wires) at the terminals?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@PCLocal4Reels wrote:

Does it matter where the spade connectors for the power kit are positioned (on top of the transformer wires or beneath the transformer wires) at the terminals?

No.