Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo will pick up movement in the background, but not directly infront of it.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
Vavila
Tutor
Tutor

Needing some help with my single Arlo wire-free camera. I have this camera positioned to see my entire back yard (I have a small back yard). I also live on an end-lot, so the camera can see just a small portion of the street on the side. The camera will pick up cars driving by, but will not pick up someone coming into my gate, and jumping on my trampoline. (Gate and trampoline are visable in the camera). In fact, the trampolene, is in front of the camera and is the center of the picture. Keeping an eye on the trampoline was the ONLY reason for buying this camera!

I've adjusted the motion detection settings and I cannot figure out why the camera picks up movement further away, that you can barely see, yet fail to sense movement directly in front of it.

Can someone please help?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

take a snap shot of the coverage area with your Alro camera and post it.  it will give us a better idea 

Vavila
Tutor
Tutor

Here is the snapshot. As you an see, the trampoline is directly infront of the camera, and the gate just to the left. This camera will pick up vehicles driving way down the street, but not someone jumping on the trampoline directly infront of it- I tested it! 🙂 Arlo.PNG

TurboJeans
Aspirant
Aspirant

I had a similar problem.  I used to get alerts of the bushes moving in the breeze and trash blowing on the sidewalk 15ft away, but it it won't see me walking up to it.  I think I solved it by tilting the cam ~45 degrees.  The randomness alerts descreased significantly and I can now see when packages are delivered.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
The trampoline is too far away to get reliable motion detection. You may need to use two cameras to cover what you want - one more or less for the trampoline and another for the rest of the scene. 15-20 feet is about all you can expect for the original wireless cameras to pick up people. Cars not only generate significant IR but are also good reflectors of the Sun's IR.

mother possibility would be to position the camera close to the trampoline, with the rest of your patio more in the background. Only trial and error would give you the best location.