Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
Greg88
Tutor
Tutor
  1.  I'm getting motion activated recording when tree branches move in the wind.  Is there a way to mask out the trees so the camera sees them but ignores to the motion?  
  2. Is it true the motion sensor uses IR to sense motion?  What does the sensitity setting actually do?  I've turned motion sensitivity down to 20 and it still picks up moving branches.
9 REPLIES 9
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
You forgot number 3. 🙂

The biggest problem most folks have with camera positioning is trying to see too much. Rotate the camera down or reposition to eliminate as much extra scenery as possible. You should only focus on the real area of interest. Post screenshots for specific suggestions.

Yes, the wireless cameras use IR motion detection. However, the Motion Detection test doesn't save the setting since you may need multiple settings in your modes. Use the Mode tab, click on your 6, and edit your modes (Armed by default). All settings, including sensitivity,are in there. Be sure to save at every opportunity.
steve_t
Master Master
Master

I have the same issue in the front of my house. My solution was to position the cameras so that the trees were in the periphery as well as running a schedule where during the day, the sensitivity is less (in the 60s) but back up into the 90s for night time. It seems to work really well

Yes, they use an IR sensor for motion detection. 100 is the most sensitive

Greg88
Tutor
Tutor

Here is the screenshot.  Please look beyond the rodent in the foregroundSmiley Happy.  The trees in the background are moving when it is windy and triggering motion recordings I have turned down sensitivity to 20 it didn't really help.  sqiur 1.jpg

Greg88
Tutor
Tutor

Here is a shot with no rodents.  

These branches are triggering motion right now.  Cam Sensitivity set to 20.

no sqiur 1.JPG

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Just to be clear, you have sensitivity set to 20 in your modes and rules, right? Some folks think that using the motion detection test and adjusting the sensitivity there will be used.
Greg88
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks!   I did not change it in modes.  will try that now. 

Greg88
Tutor
Tutor

I just found the setting within the mode selection.   I moved the slider over but I can't find a save button.  Where is this hidden? 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Use the Back selection top left, not the back arrow, and use Save on that page. Depending on which mode you're editing, there may be a second Save one step back from there. Always check to be sure.
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Yup. You gotta go back a page to find the save button. Sometimes the save button is off the bottom of the screen and you have to scroll down to find it

Incidentally, have you got the camera set specifically to capture squirrels? Otherwise the positioning of it leaves a lot to be desired with regards to what's in the field of view