Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo motion record problem

Discussion stats
  • 16 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
Murtaugh
Aspirant
Aspirant

Help!!!!

My Arlo camera were up and running fine for about 3 months and now won’t work.

They won’t auto record anything after motion is detected.

They show good batteries

I can see live video

They do detect motion and give a “1” to the apple icon on my phone and beep the phone when motion is detected.

They will record video on demand.

They won’t auto record anything after motion is detected, rendering the system worthless for security.

I’ve tried:

Rebooting everything, reinstalling Arlo softwarter on phone

Checking for Arlo firmware updates

Rebooting modem-wifi

Resyncing cameras.

Help!!!!!!!!!!!

16 REPLIES 16
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

When the cameras are ARMED. in the LIVE VIEW screen, the "running man" MUST BE BLACK.... if he is gray, the camera will not record from motion detect.

Either the modes/rules are incorrect or the base will need a factory reset ( hold in reset for 10 sec till the leds flash amber ).

I'm thinking since all else is working the Mode or similar is messed up.

If all looks good, then reset the base...resync may be required as if new

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Murtaugh,

This could be a symptom of old firmware. What firmware is your Arlo base station and cameras running?

You can check the firmware by logging in to your Arlo account and navigating to Settings > My Devices > select base station/cameras > Device info.

JamesC

Melpalmer22
Aspirant
Aspirant
Frustrated to the Max!! Bought two Arlo cameras today and cannot for the life of me get them to record when motion is detected.
I can record mannually, I can watch live, I get notified when there is motion, but cannot get it to automatically record. Very frustrating.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

What have you tried?  Are the running men for each camera in the Devices tab black or gray?  Gray means disarmed.  Check the Mode tab, click on your base and see what mode is selected - by default it should be Armed.  Also, check your firmware versions in Settings, My Devices for the base and each camera.  Old firmware may cause this.  It should automatically update overnight so if there's no pending updates, check to see if motion is now being detected and recorded.

Melpalmer22
Aspirant
Aspirant
Ok so. So last night the running men were weird. When I look at the screen showing the cameras the running man was black, when I walked in front of them and set the motion off the running man would go orange for a sec or two and then would Grey out. I tried resetting cameras and base and re syncing them.
I checked the firmware but I don't know what's the most updated, but if also doesn't tell me any updates are needed.

So I wake up this morning and the camera is now recording motion and all I did was give up an go to sleep haha So I have absolutely no idea what's going on.
Murtaugh
Aspirant
Aspirant

So someone mentioned that there is a tab on my base that should show "armed" by default and the running men in the devices tab should be black.  Neither is true but I don't see any6hwere how to arm the base or change the device setting for the running man.  Hey, This COULD be my issue.  But does anyone know how to fix it.  The software and firmware show no updates avaiable and my internet connection is good enough for Netflix.

Melpalmer22
Aspirant
Aspirant
Went I went to sleep last night there was no 'Armed' mode on my phone app. When I woke up, there is now and 'Armed' mode which it's now the default mode and it works perfectly!
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
It's the Mode tab. Click on your base and check the selected mode (default is Armed).
Melpalmer22
Aspirant
Aspirant
I don't know why things can't be easy and just work.
Jguerdat - I know have one camera working perfectly and one camera that won't record (all you can do is watch live) any way I can fix this camera. Also when I go into mode for this camera is is set on 10seconds and will not allow me to slide the circle button to extend the record time.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Try power cycling the base. Also, remove the camera from Settings, My Devices and resync it.
Melpalmer22
Aspirant
Aspirant
Ok so I worked out that you have to have either Email or push notification alert on. They were both off for the non working camera, but when I put email notifications on it started recording again.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Notifications are not required to record.  Typically, I have all of mine off.  It sounds like something happened, perhaps to the rule or mode, that making a change caused to be refreshed.  Try removing the notifications and see if it still works.

Murtaugh
Aspirant
Aspirant

The notifixcations or push did not resolved the problem.

Murtaugh
Aspirant
Aspirant

Has anyone found a solution for this.  I guess I just need to toss the whole syste???? No recording adter motion detection works after the software update..

Murtaugh
Aspirant
Aspirant

How do you change the mode tab on the base?  I don't see any tab.  I think the LED by the house is what you mean as it is not green or lit.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
The Mode tab is in the app or web I interface, not physically on the base.