Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
alb81044
Guide
Guide

I have a Northern Michigan home 250 miles  from my regular home.  I don't really care about motion detection (lots of wildlife), but I want to simply see the building once or twice a day, especially when winter storms occur.  Is there a simple setting I can use for this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
manfredz
Hero
Hero

I would assume restarts automatically but just assuming so don't know

i'm in canada where we use celcius with =4 F being -20 C. Mine's continued working at a couple degrees below that during a storm past winter.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
manfredz
Hero
Hero

You can use the live view both for watching or recording.   If you only do briefly once ot twice a day your batteries should last 6 months or so.

If nowever you use live viewing extensively your batteries will be depleted after 8-12 hours of live viewing/recordin

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Yes... you can just go to LIVE View when ever needed and also start a record manually.

One thing I will advise if your going to be far away at times is a UPS for the base unit.  If the power goes out for short times the UPS will keep the base unt alive to eliminate the chances of the cameras becoming unsync'ed ( during outages )... Of course cant do much if your internet acces goes down.

Also not sure of your temps there in winter... but the Pro cameras do shut down at -4F ( battery safety ).  Interior cameras such as the Q cameras don't have these issue obv.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
alb81044
Guide
Guide

Thanks for the reply.  The temp quite often will go well below -4F.  If the unit shuts down, can I restart remotely, or does it have to be manually done?  What does UPS mean?

Also, do I assume there is part of the menu where I can go live?

manfredz
Hero
Hero

When you are on your phone or computer where your cams show.  There\s a big triangle you press to take you into live viewing with a record button you may want to use.  Live viewing and live recording use pretty well the same battery consumption.

A UPS or uninterrupted power supply is kind of a storage battery you plug your base station in and which is plugged into your power outlet.

When you lose power the UPS feeds power to your base station, depending on its capacity for minutes or hours. When power is restored the UPS recharges

alb81044
Guide
Guide

Thanks again, just didn't readily figure UPS meaning.  

You mentioned the camera may shut down in cold weather to save battery.  Can that be over-ridden, or if not, can I re-start remotely, or does someone need to re-pair the device manually?

manfredz
Hero
Hero

I would assume restarts automatically but just assuming so don't know

i'm in canada where we use celcius with =4 F being -20 C. Mine's continued working at a couple degrees below that during a storm past winter.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

In all my test cases, when the camera warms up, it was working fine... ( the battery  shut off issue is a safety put in by Netgear and can not be over ridden )

Morse is faster than texting!