Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
Hondo49
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am about to buy an arlo camera, is there something I can attatch to base station, for backup instead of the cloud.

also what is the difference in the Arlo and Arlo pro, I don't understand the At&t thing.

13 REPLIES 13
manfredz
Hero
Hero

you can attach a USB thumb drive or hard drive to the Arlo Pro to record to it, but not on the Arlo.

the arlo pro cams have a built in rechargeable battery whereas the arlo doesn't (but can use some rechargeable batteries)

the arlo pro has two way sound whereas the arlo doesnt.

did i miss anything else significant?

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The Arlo does not have an option for usb drive or local record. It is cloud based and then you can d/l the files if wanted as needed.

The Pro base allows a usb drive attached... It will record to the cloud and the usb drive at the same time an is there as a back up if the internet goes down.

But you can not view from it directly, you must eject the drive and then play back the mp4 files on a local machine/device.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Hondo49
Aspirant
Aspirant

thanks that helped alot, I will go with the arlo pro, one more question, I have a ranch style house, so I have an netgear extender, it has earthlink connection

can I hook the power station to it to extend my wifi further.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
You can use the extender to help position the base more centrally to each camera but the cameras themselves can't be extended due to the connection to only the base.
Hondo49
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ok, I think I got it., one more question, someone answered before, but I didnt completley understand.

I have a netgear wi-fi extender that works good, what will I gain by plugging in the  arlo pro base station directly in to my wi-fi extender with the

earthlink cable?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Use of the extender simply allows you to centrally position the base. The position of the base is key to good connections to all cameras.
brian417
Aspirant
Aspirant

having a cloud backup of your recordings is a good idea for obvious reasons but I don't like being forced to log into a website just to view my camera and recordings, I don't like it at all. my base station has an ip just like my server does which by the way has 20TB of storage space to record all night if i wish without paying for space and there is no reason I shouldn't be able to access the base station ip just like i do my server . a security system should be completely self contained and under my complete control the idea that hundreds of netgear employees having potential access to images inside my home doesn't make me feel more secure it makes me feel less. I will never buy another netgear product this is rediculous.

manfredz
Hero
Hero

If you wanted local storage you should have looked at the Arlo Pro or a different manufacturer.

Even superficial research would show the Arlo doesn't have this feature, so I think it very unfair to call it ridiculous and attack Netgear for it.

I agree it would be nice to have and would also assume it seems relatively easy since the Arlo base station already has the USB ports, but the Arlo doesn't have this feature and never claimed to, so let's accept it.

brian417
Aspirant
Aspirant

manfredz wrote:

If you wanted local storage you should have looked at the Arlo Pro or a different manufacturer.

Even superficial research would show the Arlo doesn't have this feature, so I think it very unfair to call it ridiculous and attack Netgear for it.

I agree it would be nice to have and would also assume it seems relatively easy since the Arlo base station already has the USB ports, but the Arlo doesn't have this feature and never claimed to, so let's accept it.

no it takes a little more than "superficial" research. I believe the descriptions provided by all the manufactuers are intentionally vague, for instance it took more than a quick google search to find out that the arlo pro only has local storage on an sd card or thumb drive it does not record on a server which means all someone has to do is steal the camera to get the footage. no I do not have to accept it but I'll concede i should have done more research which I am currently doing but I also believe i should not have to spend hours doing it. I have now spent 2 hours researching this and am zeroing in on the D-link DCS-5020L and figure I'll spend a couple more hours comparing different cameras and trying to get a complete picture of what they can and can't do.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Taking the camera doesn't get the video.  It's on the cloud as well as on the USB device on the Pro base.  The wireless cameras have no storage capability.

manfredz
Hero
Hero

wrong again.  the arlo cam , neither pro nor basic, does not have local storage. no storage on the cam; cam only sees and sends image to cloud storage.

with the pro base station the usb ports are active and if you have a thumb drive or external usb drive attached to the base station, the video is recorded to the usb storage.

i would be very surprised if a google search told different.

Akatz6
Aspirant
Aspirant
How do you access the footage on the cloud. I just set them up last night and don't know if I need to set up cloud storage or if it does it automatically
manfredz
Hero
Hero

if using your pc log into your account at https://arlo.netgear.com

if using your phone download and use the arlo app