Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo issues - vent frustration

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 7 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
enchiladas
Guide
Guide

I just wanted to create a thread, for anyone searching for reviews or help on Arlo, to AVOID these useless cameras, as well as vent some frustration. The product does not work well at all, and certainly not as intended, especially for the price you. If you want reasonable results you need to pay for a monthly subscription, and even then it is very hit and miss with how they function.  At this point, after not only hours but days of troubleshooting, and living with the below mediocre performance that Arlo is, all I can conclude is to avoid this turd of a product and buy a real solution. Save your money and buy a Ring or a Nest, anything but Arlo!

8 REPLIES 8
dcfox1
Master
Master

Can tell you from experience ring has alot more problems and less features. And also require a subscription. 

enchiladas
Guide
Guide
Actually yes, I can. I have at least 3 close friends that have moved from Arlo to Ring and had been more than satisfied. Features are exactly the same, not sure what Arlo does better than the competition. As far as subscription yes, I do see that Ring has an optional subscription to tie it in to the Ring network as a security solution. However with my experience, you need an Arlo subscription to get what should be basic functionality, like motion zones. End of the day, in my experience, the Arlo devices and support have been trash, and I actively push any would be buyers away from this solution.
enchiladas
Guide
Guide
I should add a key point for their move from Arlo to Ring revolved around reliability. Arlo failed to be a reliable solution when needed, just as I'm experiencing now. This system is unreliable and would not trust safety and security on it.
blubricks
Initiate
Initiate

I can't see anything having more problems than these. They are unusable. The base station drops the internet connection constantly. The video lag is no less than 15-120 seconds. Quality is well below par. (It may look bright and colorful, but there is zero detail). I concur, DO NOT BUY! Go get yourselves a hardwired Hikvision or Axis system. It's a world of difference and less hassle after initial installation, and it will do what it's supposed to do.

Alanlungs
Aspirant
Aspirant

So did you buy it the first place? Did you not do research before you bought it? 

enchiladas
Guide
Guide

Not nearly as much research as I should have, which I why I added this thread with the "Before You Buy" label on the Arlo forums. Hopefully it will save future Googler's time, money and headaches. Don't repeat this mistake!

dcfox1
Master
Master

@enchiladas 

I have have  pro3 so it does have alot more features that i was talking about I dont have older arlo models in this forum. . Even Rings new stick up battery cams has max 30 second motion recording and hardwired have 60 sec. Then its started again about 10 - 20 seconds later. 

The free service is motion alert and live streaming on ring. you need at least the basic subscription for cloud storage at least now. Not sure if other Ring  models  had local storage.  Defeat's  the purpose to view past events without storage on free plan.  If it works for you then ok

enchiladas
Guide
Guide

what good are features if they don't work or are not reliable! literally just now my neighbors dog walked in to my yard, took a dump right in plain view of the arlo camera and it did not detect or record anything! pretty good analogy for this system to be honest. i will gladly pay a $10 /month fee for system that WORKS, not pay for one that does not. these things are going in the trash and for anyone reading this I suggest you avoid these as well. Even the subject of this thread was changed by a mod! it was originally titled Avoid Arlo Do Not Buy and was change to Vent Frustrations. Product is terrible, support is terrible a damn waste of money. if you want further proof go cruise the threads, it's all the same. Base station not connecting, cameras not recording, the list goes on. AVOID!