Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
Mikulsky
Guide
Guide

So, I currently have 4 arlos. 3 which I want to record on motion. The 4th is in my chicken coop. I don't EVER want to record. I just want to check in on them from time to time without recording. Is there a way to just have 1 camera not record on motion. Seems like every time I try the "little running motion man" is grayed out. This shouldn't be so painful.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Mikulsky
Guide
Guide

I get it now. If I want one camera with NO motion, I just leave that camera out of the mix. I can still go look at the camera to check in on things, but it doesn't notify me which is what I was after.

I guess I was maybe over thinking it.

Thanks for your help.

TomMac wrote:

Mikulsky wrote:

Thanks for the response. I don't want camera 4 off. I just don't want it to record on motion. Only when I go to the camera an push live. Otherwise I have to go in and keep turning the camera on and off to watch it. 

yes... maybe not a full understanding of what your needs are.

These are designed to be "MOTION DETECT THEN RECORD" cameras ( tho you can manually operated them too.)

MODES allow the cameras to capture a recording if motion occurs.

They will not stay on for more than 30 mins in Live view mode ( to protect battery life )

Now, You don't have to "ARMED" camera 4 if you just want to LIVE VIEW... Just manually click on the LIVE button and it will come on in a sec or two.

( you can also take a snapshot if needed or manually record if wanted from the live view screen )

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

You have to learn the concept of custom modes....

Creating new modes allow you to split the cameras up to activate one or more ( but not all like in the default mode Armed)

check ck out the FAQs on Add a Mode

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
Mikulsky
Guide
Guide

Um... custom modes — still have the motion all grayed out. So, that really doesn't help. I work in UX and it shouldn't be this hard to figure out. The Arlo user experience and customization stinks. 

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Mikulsky wrote:

So, I currently have 4 arlos. 3 which I want to record on motion. The 4th is in my chicken coop. I don't EVER want to record. I just want to check in on them from time to time without recording. Is there a way to just have 1 camera not record on motion. Seems like every time I try the "little running motion man" is grayed out. This shouldn't be so painful.

OK, lets start form the top....

You have 4 cameras but for the MODE ( what makes the camera detect motion and then record ) you only have the default of ARMED ( all on )

What you need to do is split up the cameras , In you case , you want cam 4 not to record on motion.  So you need to ADD a MODE that only includes cameras 1,2,& 3 to detect/record on motion ( any camera(s) NOT in the mode are automatically off )

OR you may just want two groups like Inside/ Outside.

Modes you can make are

1) Armed ( default given all on ) and DISARMED ( default given all off )

2)  cam1, cam2, cam3, cam4 then combos of cam1&2, cam 1&3, cam 1&4, cam 2&3 , cam 2&4 , cam 3&4. cam 1&2&3, cam 1&2&4, etc... ( till all combo done)... mostly you'l group by need and prob have only 4-5 modes total

Read this from the FAQs first ; 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Knowledge-Base/What-are-modes-and-rules-and-how-does-Arlo-use-...

then ; https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Knowledge-Base/How-do-I-create-a-mode-for-my-Arlo-Pro-Wire-Fre...

This should put you on the right path, if any more questions , ask.

Mikulsky
Guide
Guide

Thanks for the response. I don't want camera 4 off. I just don't want it to record on motion. Only when I go to the camera an push live. Otherwise I have to go in and keep turning the camera on and off to watch it. 

Mikulsky
Guide
Guide

Screen Shot 2017-04-19 at 10.11.38 AM.png

Mikulsky
Guide
Guide

I also really don't need Email Alert or Push Notification on Cam 4 (coop cam)

Mikulsky
Guide
Guide

Alright So... I think I figured it out. You just have NO setting for the camera which you just occassionally want to check in on.

Pretty sure that does it.

m.

Thank you for your time. 

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Mikulsky wrote:

These are designed to be "MOTION DETECT THEN RECORD" cameras ( tho you can manually operated them too.)

They will not stay on for more than 30 mins in Live view mode ( to protect battery life )

Now, You don't have to "ARMED" camera 4 if you just want to LIVE VIEW... Just manually click on the LIVE button and it will come on in a sec or two.

( you can also take a snapshot if needed or manually record if wanted from the live view screen )

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Mikulsky wrote:

I also really don't need Email Alert or Push Notification on Cam 4 (coop cam)

Email and or Pushes are toggled on/off in the current ARMED ( or custom mode )used.... If the cameras are DISARMED there are none sent.

Mikulsky
Guide
Guide

I get it now. If I want one camera with NO motion, I just leave that camera out of the mix. I can still go look at the camera to check in on things, but it doesn't notify me which is what I was after.

I guess I was maybe over thinking it.

Thanks for your help.

TomMac wrote:

Mikulsky wrote: