Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo fullscreen quality on laptop

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
GreenBeez
Follower
Follower

I have 4 cameras set up with the Arlo VMB400. When I view them all on my lap top in one frame (small shot of each camera) they look HighDef but when I fit to screen on one camera it becomes very pixelated (low Def) is there a setting im missing to enjoy full definition on one camera at a time on full screen? Thanks all,

1 REPLY 1
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The perceived quality depends ona large number of issues and variables.  First is the actual resolution chosen.  The Arlo wireless cameras max out at 720p which is less than 1 megapixel. Then add in compression, network quality and speed and things can go downhill quickly.  And the cameras have a 110 degree angle of view which is comparable to a 15mm very wide angle camera lens.

The idea of HD meaning high quality is a misnomer.  It works for TVs since we were used to crappy video in the first place. My 6-7 year old Canon 5D Mark II DSLR has 22 megapixels and there are others up to 50mp. You can't get blood from a stone, a silk purse from a sow's ear, etc.

Of course, the cameras are also battery-operated so you have to give some to get some.  Expectations have to be realistic and research needs to be thorough.