Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
davidahm
Tutor
Tutor

Ever since setting up my Arlo cameras 1)my internet connection has been noticeably slower, and 2)The whole system disconnects. Not just the cameras going offline, but it disconnects my entire internet wifi connection and I have to reset it at the router to get things working again. I've tested this multiple times over the past couple of weeks. Arlo base station plugged in = internet disconnecting several times a week (sometimes multiple times in one day). Arlo base station not plugged in= strong wifi signal to my devices and no service interruption or need to reset my router. Please help. This was a very expense outlay for me based on excellent reviews in magazines and on the internet, and I'm really beginning to regret my purchase. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Two things, try and move the arlo base away from you wifi base as best as possible...

And it may be a possiblty that the extra load/thruput of your wifi switch is causing a problem with the wifi router ... ( heat related ? ) I've seen it happen on wifi routers that they go glitchy due to same

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Two things, try and move the arlo base away from you wifi base as best as possible...

And it may be a possiblty that the extra load/thruput of your wifi switch is causing a problem with the wifi router ... ( heat related ? ) I've seen it happen on wifi routers that they go glitchy due to same

Morse is faster than texting!
davidahm
Tutor
Tutor

Moving the Arlo base as far away from the router as the cord would allow did the trick. It seems like this is a known common issue. As such, I wonder why a longer cord isn't provided, and why this suggestion is not included in instructions.

flimps
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same problem here, but moving the base away from the wifi switch /powerline adapter did not solve the problem. Furthermore the devolo AV 500 powerline wi-fi adapter stopped working (burned?). Bought new powerline +Wi fi adapter (t- Link).

Problem persist, so had to disconnect the arlo base.

No camera but internet up and running. Cameras on, internet will cut off.

Any other solutions possible?

thank you

davidahm wrote:

Ever since setting up my Arlo cameras 1)my internet connection has been noticeably slower, and 2)The whole system disconnects. Not just the cameras going offline, but it disconnects my entire internet wifi connection and I have to reset it at the router to get things working again. I've tested this multiple times over the past couple of weeks. Arlo base station plugged in = internet disconnecting several times a week (sometimes multiple times in one day). Arlo base station not plugged in= strong wifi signal to my devices and no service interruption or need to reset my router. Please help. This was a very expense outlay for me based on excellent reviews in magazines and on the internet, and I'm really beginning to regret my purchase. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

flimps,

I see you have a case open currently with support. I encourage you to continue working with the support team to resolve this issue. Please let us know the results!

JamesC

flimps
Aspirant
Aspirant

No results. Same problemas as expressed by Davidahm. Need to disconnect the Arlo base and the internet works perfectly well. Connects the Arlo base and problems all over the place. Also, as it disconnect, the camera losses the detection mode. very frustrating.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's hard to say from a distance but it seems to me to be an issue with the power line type devices. WiFi extenders are known to work so that may be a better choice. By any chance is there a firmware update for your power line devices?

JustLearning
Apprentice
Apprentice
The wifi signal is showing as strong but all cameras 'offline'. They came back on a few minutes later but they need to be consistent.
JustLearning
Apprentice
Apprentice
Has anyone successfully used powerline adapters or signal extenders/ repeaters with both Arlo and Arlo Q cameras? I read some people had problems with them in the past.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The extenders should work for moving base stations as well as for the Q cameras but not for the wireless cameras themselves which create their own WiFi network that you can't break into.  The biggest issues with using an extender with a base station is that there must be an Ethernet port on the extender for the base and it must support at least 1Mbs transfer rates.