Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
demonsavatar
Aspirant
Aspirant

I recieve constant motion detected alerts when nothing in the screen is in motion.  This only happens during the day.  I believe it is due to the busy street I live on and vibration from trucks and vehicles that pass by -- which I can also sometimes feel if I am standing on my porch.  The vibrations are not intense, but are noticable.

I have set the Arlo to 1% sensitivity and placed a soft pad between the mount and the wall, in an attempt to dampen the vibration, but it still gives me constant motion detected alerts as traffic drives by.

What can be done to allieviate this problem?  What does the sensitivity value actually do since it does not appear to have any effect?

6 REPLIES 6
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Do you have more than one camera? Does it do the same on all ?

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Post a screenshot, too. It may be your positioning.
demonsavatar
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have only one camera.

Here is a screenshot of the setup angle.  Some notes:

1) I have confirmed it goes off even when no one walks by on the sidewalk.  

2) The part of the street that is visible is parking/driveway, so cars do not drive by there often.

3) I suppose it could be the wind in the tree, but wouldn't that set it off at nighttime as well?  I only get false detections during the day.

What parts of the image does the motion sensor capture?  The motion sensing calibration mode did not help me determine that very well...

front_door.jpg

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

( pic takes a while to appear, must be approved )

Re # 3

The PIR sensor works off IR and the reflection of IR ( sunlight is a big source of IR ) , so yes it would be more common in the day light.

The PIR covers the entire FOV ( whole picture )

Default settings is about 80% (IIRR ) and you shouldnt' move it more than 2-3 % at a time before retesting as it's not prob linear

Morse is faster than texting!
demonsavatar
Aspirant
Aspirant

Oh man, its an IR sensor...vehicles outside the field of view will often reflect light or cast shadows in the field of view as they drive by, which could be causing it to go off.

For some reason I had assumed it was ultrasonic.  I'll try some other positions with the light reflections in mind.

tinokremer
Apprentice
Apprentice

That is exactly what is causing most false alerts. For me it helped to reposition and angle the camera a bit more down.

Also note the PIR sensor is independant of any settings like cropping the image.