Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo cameras with different modes

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
veener79
Luminary
Luminary

I just got my 6 camera kit yestarday.  Last night I got 5 of the camera's synced so far.  6th one finding a place for it with a plug for the USB. 

For the outdoor cameras I want to have different modes.  My front door I want armed at all times.  Over the garage and back yard I want to setup for Geo.  I do not want them going off when I pull in or when I am in the garden.  Like my indoor camera set it up to be active at night.  

When I look at Modes I see under "My Devices" the hub that does all my outdoor cameras.  Then I have my indoor camera.  I am stuck at how to treat each as it's own device.  I think I am missing something but not sure what.  I searched for an anwer.  Most where about Arlo and Arlo Pro setup.  I could not find it for using many different Arlo cameras with different settings.  

Thanks for any help with this.  This is my first time doing a camera system.  Little bit of a learning curve I am finding out.  Will say syncing the ceamera and everyting was super easy!  Installing them inside and out is also very easy.  Just getting down the software is where I am having a little issues.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

GF uses modes in essentially the same way the schedule does. So, it would seem that Away would use a mode that has all cameras enabled.  Home would use the schedule which would have at least two modes, the one used for Away when all cameras are to be enabled and a second mode that has rules for only 3 cameras for nighttime.  The schedule might look like this:

12:00AM-6:00AM - mode with all cameras

6:01AM-10:00PM - mode with one camera

10:01PM-11:59PM - mode with all cameras

Hope I got this right.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

First... the Arlo and Arlo Pro will work as ONE unit ( arming  all cams ) but if you are also running Q cameras or an Arlo baby, those are single units and while they appear in the app/prgm are separate units... each will have to be armed / scheduled on their own.

( also if you add a second base unit it is it's own system )

So if you have a base with 4 cameras and a Q camera, you have to arm the base/arlo and then also arm the Q in another step

For the outdoor cameras you can have them do different things, you just need to create custom modes ( ADD A MODE ) to split up the group of cams ( default all ) into smaller groups or single cameras as the needs require.

If again you have 4 arlo cameras 2 in front and 2 in back, you can split the group into Front/ Back and have the front armed while the back not ( or other combos )

Look at the FAQs for "MODE" , How do I create modes

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
veener79
Luminary
Luminary

Thank you I will give this a try.  I did try custom modes but I must have messed something up in doing it then.  I wanted to ask before I got to fustrated.  

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Knowledge-Base/How-do-I-create-a-mode-for-my-Arlo-Wire-Free-ca...

Just remember... when you ADD A MODE, save after adding the first camera.... then go back and edit to add more cameras if needed

Morse is faster than texting!
veener79
Luminary
Luminary

It looks like I am still not getting something.  I am beyond fustrated right now.  I am not getting what I am missing.  I haven trying and reading for hours.

I have read this more time then I know righ know.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Knowledge-Base/How-do-I-create-a-mode-with-different-rules-for...

Figured out to to make it so like when my garage door camera is tripped it will turn on my front door.  Fine.  

What I can't figure out is how to do Geofencing rules and schedule in that custom setup.  From reading I can't select two modes at once.  

What I am trying to get down.  

4 cameras

What I want.

Camera 1 (armed at all times)

CAmera 2-4 (uses Geofencing, but even if I am home schedule turns it on at night when I am asleep.)

How do I setup a rule using Geofencing for 3 of the 4 cameras.  I know I can't run two modes at once.  That is what I feel like I need to do.  What I am looking a custom to do is run two rules.  Rule 1: Camera 1 (always armed). Rule 2: Camera 2,3,&4 (run Geofencing with schedule)  The Geofencing is what has me all messed up.  

I am going nuts over this right now.  Thanks for any help.  

veener79
Luminary
Luminary

Guess I can't edit my post.  Just found this post:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Features/Modes-rules-schedule-etc/td-p/8654

Do I need to use schedule for what I am trying to do?  This software is the only thing I do no like about these cameras at all.  Not sure why it was setup like it is.  

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

GF uses modes in essentially the same way the schedule does. So, it would seem that Away would use a mode that has all cameras enabled.  Home would use the schedule which would have at least two modes, the one used for Away when all cameras are to be enabled and a second mode that has rules for only 3 cameras for nighttime.  The schedule might look like this:

12:00AM-6:00AM - mode with all cameras

6:01AM-10:00PM - mode with one camera

10:01PM-11:59PM - mode with all cameras

Hope I got this right.

veener79
Luminary
Luminary

Ok think I got this figured out.  What this was nuts.  

Geofencing turned on.

Under GF two modes setup

Away (Armed)

Home (Schedule)

Under the Main hub setup a Custom Mode where the Garage camera is armed at all times.  No other camera with rule as they do not need to be armed.  

Now click edit Schedule:

Click Add

Click Armed and then select Custom Mode Name

Run Custom Mode from 6:01am to 10:59PM

Click Add

Make sure Armed is selected. 

Add shedule from 11-11:59pm

Click Add

Make sure Armed is selected. 

Add shedule from 12-6:00am

From what I can tell I have this correct now.  See if this works.  

What I was not wraping my brain around was how the GF modes pulls off the Schedule mode.  How the Schedule Mode can pull from all the other modes.  Least now I get it.  I wached this video and this is what helped me get things to click from your posts.  I know this is older software version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6dDsNT8zIM