Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Seriously
Guide
Guide

I spoke with a Netgear/Arlo representative in July 2016 and specifically asked if there would be any new versions in production/coming to market with such features as Voice/recharable battery functionality as I had read many user reviews that stated those were pretty much to 2 features lacking/unavailable.

I was told affirmatively NO....So, I went and purchased a system through Best Buy.

NOW..I find out the Arlo Pro is being released within a few weeks and am stuck with a unit that will eat batteries-depending on usage-vs being able to re-charge as well as having audio both ways.

Any recourse/rebates since it is not returnable at this point to Best Buy and other than signing up for an account have not set the units up outside/used them and was debating at this point because of upcoming Winter in WI.

31 REPLIES 31
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Seriously,

While there isn't currently a "buyback" or "trade in" program, keep in mind that your Wire-Free cameras can be synced to an Arlo Pro Base Station to utilize the new base station features. Additionally, the Arlo Pro Cameras are backward compatible. This allows for flexibility when adding to your existing Arlo Wire-Free system.

JamesC

Seriously
Guide
Guide
James-

Thank you for the reply but how does syncing to an Arlo Pro Base Station benefit me vs the station I have and the current features my Arlo has.

Seriously, I called and spoke to an Arlo/Netgear representative in July and they very matter of fact informed me that there were no new versions on the horizon, so I purchased Arlo and now all of the features I was initially looking for and then some are soon available.

This wasn't a cheap system - base station + 4 cameras.  Now a Pro Base station may offer some more features/functionality but at what cost (~$190.00)and what features?   That really is not a great option especially since I asked before I purchased the Arlo.

Is the original Arlo able to take recharable batteries and if so, what kind.  We're talking at least $20 a pop to re-fill the units that don't  run very long if you want to see live action for more than 5 seconds.  

Huge savings with the rechargable option that is now available on the Arlo Pro in addition to all of the other features being put forth to illustrate all of the new improvements to the Arlo Pro vs Arlo?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Netgear specifically disavows the use of rechargeable batteries now, perhaps due to warranty and legal issues (think Samsung). There used to be huge threads about such batteries successfully being used but I don't see them on the new web forums, maybe archived? However, you can use a search like the following to gain access:

https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Acommunity.netgear.com+"rechargeable+batteries"&oq=site%3Acomm...

At least one camera was damaged by cheap, unprotected batteries and maybe more. I can't fault them for not blessing them since they have no control over what batteries may be used. The Pro cameras have a specific pack to be used which they can (hopefully) control the quality.

Seriously
Guide
Guide

Jguerdat-

Thank you for your response, but I really would like a reply from Netgear/Official Arlo Moderator/employee or whatever they are to not only the recharable battery question but the others as well.  I'm sure a lot of people are interested in reading the answers from Netgear with regard to the questions I have submitted.    

Seriously, I'm surprised that Netgear hasn't teamed up with a reputable battery manufacturer/distributor to come up with a "recommended" recharable battery option for the original Arlo.  Is there something with the Arlo that prevents it from using rechargeable batteries as all battery manufacturers are not no-name/knock offs out of China?  

That's just to start with.

livewire713
Apprentice
Apprentice
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Seriously wrote:

Seriously, I'm surprised that Netgear hasn't teamed up with a reputable battery manufacturer/distributor to come up with a "recommended" recharable battery option for the original Arlo.  Is there something with the Arlo that prevents it from using rechargeable batteries as all battery manufacturers are not no-name/knock offs out of China?  

I'm in agreement but there may be legal eagles nixing that, not to mention adding complexity to possible warranty issues.  From the beginning, the original wireless cameras only came with non-rechargeable batteries and the specs only talked about those.  There was a short period of time where this forum had responses from Netgear employees about suggested rechargeable batteries but that not only stopped but there's a strong statement about NOT using them.  Basically, I think the issue was a gray area that was rectified when issues resulted - we heard of one camera being damaged due to an unprotected battery.  Since there's no way to guarantee a user will use common sense and use only recommended batteries, it's easier to just say no.

Seriously
Guide
Guide
Jiffer
Tutor
Tutor

Its technology bro... you never buy the first edition or you pay a premium for it. like me i bought the Arlo right when it came out for like $600 with 4 cameras for a video review.   I then returned them, that was only a few months ago. now i can get 5 camera bundle for 400.  

As far as being upset that they came out with a new camera, they will always be coming out with new... My grate grate grate grandfather is still waiting dead in his grave to get the best pickup truck.... catch my drift. Arlo and netgear cant tell you about new products until their release date or the top guys in marketing get the go ahead. No one ever said ohh in a month our new product will come out, dont spend your money today on the old version.

Why do you use bestbuy? go on amazon its cheaper and you get prime shipping free, you also get a longer return period. Bestbuy ripps you off. 

OMFA
Aspirant
Aspirant

I bought these off ebay and they have been working fine and last a really long time.  

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rechargeable-batteries-kit-for-Netgear-Arlo-Security-Camera-20-battery-pack-...

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
I'm glad they're lasting for you but you should be aware that the rating given to these batteries is totally false. Many of us have tested these and found them to be lacking. They also lack the protection circuitry to prevent over- and undercharging. This has caused meltdowns and fires in various Arlo cameras which certainly would void the warranty (not to mention, possibly your house). We would all strongly recommend that you cease usage immediately and check out the huge thread about rechargeable batteries that have been tested and have the protection circuitry.
OMFA
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have been running them since the beginning - maybe 9 months now and have had no issues.  I understand the risks but unless Netgear wants to do some trade in credit for the pro, I will likely continue using them because they lied about how long the standard batteries would last in the cameras 4-6months is total BS.  MAYBE a month with reasonable usage.  It would be cost prohibitive to buy regular batteries to run the four cameras each night and all day when we are away from home.  

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Isn't Netgear currently doing testing of different types of rechargeables to work to making a recommendation? I'm sure I read that somewhere

Isn't the 6 months based on 5 activations a day?

OMFA
Aspirant
Aspirant

I run mine in the evenings and they don't go off all that often... certainly not 5 times a day.  Right around a month I would get the low battery notice.

It looks like Netgear will offer their own rechargable batteries in Dec / Jan... but I am sure this isn't going to come cheap for 4 batteries x 4 cameras.  I can't find anywhere that they have published testing of 3rd party batteries.  

Endoplasmic
Initiate
Initiate

I still have 2 of my classic Arlo wireless cameras in the box 😞

Anyways, for those looking for the recharable batteries, I saw this at the bottom of a page on the Arlo site: http://arlo.com/en-us/products/arlo/tenergy_rechargeable_battery_charger.aspx

$50 for the set.

Steviemontana
Aspirant
Aspirant
Nice cameras and do what I need them to do but I found out last night not to use the magnetic mount. I just put a fresh set of batteries in and attached it to the magnetic base....the batteries drained in one week. I suggest not to use this base.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
The base has nothing to do with battery drain. All my wireless cameras are mounted on them with no battery issues.
diggit
Aspirant
Aspirant

I need to get batteries for my expensive almost useless cameras. I went to your site to buy them but you would not let me buy them without an amazon account. I don't have one and have no need for one. This is the worst site I have ever dealt with. And yes I am completely pissed off that I can't buy what I need for your product from you

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

diggit,

Batteries can be purchased online or from a local supplier. For more information on what batteries should be used with Arlo, see here: Safety Rules for Arlo Wire-Free Camera Batteries

JamesC

Mchop01
Aspirant
Aspirant
I see I'm late to the chat, but if you don't know already, you can buy rechargeable batteries on ebay. Justhe type in arlo rechargeable batteries. You can get two charges with 20 batteries for like $35...TOTALLY WORTH IT. I bought twould sets because I have 5 cameras. I always have two sets charged ready to change out. Best purchase ever.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Be VERY careful about the eBay batteries. Cameras have been destroyed by them. There's a huge thread here about all this. Netgear disavowed rechargeable battery use because of this for a while but now has certified batteries and charger available.

The issues are 1) anything rated over 800MaH is bogus and 2) the crap batteries don't have the over-/under-voltage protection built-in. I've used the eBay ones myself and then dropped them into Home Depot's recycle bin to get rid of them.
manfredz
Hero
Hero

I just got the approved Tenergy charger and gold colored rechargeable batteries and put in my high use cam.  Working quite well.  If rechargeable battery is your only reason for thinking of going to the Arlo Pro, this is a much cheaper alternative. (mind you if two way voice is also important, this won't help you)

hillybilly7
Aspirant
Aspirant

hi, can someone please tell me where i can get a

Tenergy Rechargeable CR123 Batteries & Charger, im in the uk, so could someone please advice thanks

Steviemontana
Aspirant
Aspirant
The magnet used in the camera housing has magnetized the battery compartment causing a serious battery drain.
manfredz
Hero
Hero

that doesn't make much sense stevie or we'd all be experiencing big battery drain