Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
allen_rong
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am not sure if anyone is experiencing the same issue since last week, I have been using Arlo for a long time and it directly connects to my router always without any issue except Geofencing issue with iOS, which I have opened another case here. I have got daily reboot schedule configured on my router every night. However, since last week sometime my Arlo base-station remained offline after router reboots itself. The internet light on the station was in orange and my internet was good as usual. I was not sure whether the firmware of base-station was getting updated automatically or not.  To get around of it, I had to manually turn it off and turn back on to resolve the issue.

It will be interesting to see if anyone else is having the same issue.

77 REPLIES 77
GearNetRouter
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

In my dealings with NG on a router issue, Level 1 support only reads from script. Level 2 is slightly better if you ever get through to them. Frankly they are f morons. I ended up returning a modem out of sheer frustration. Frankly theydidnt know s about their own product. IMO make them buy it back if you dont want it. 

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

So it sounds like there is some corruption that happens when you lose power. My assumption on how the system works is you set your cameras, settings, etc in the app or on the website, those get uploaded to the cloud and saved, then the base downloads those settings so it knows what to do. It could be that when the power goes out, the settings in the base get corrupted and then when the power comes back, and the base connects to the internet, it uploads those corrupted settings messing up your entire account causing you to have to start all over again.

Two things you could try.......

Delete or have support delete your arlo account from the cloud, like you never signed up before, then create a new account and start over. This would elimate any account corruption.

Return the base under warranty. I believe there is a 1 year warranty. Then if the problem persists after you get a new base then at least you've elminated that as a source of the problem. After those two things it seems it may be a coding or backend issue with the system.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

SunriseSunset wrote:

The battery backup isn't really a solution, more of a workaround in my opinion, and it wouldn't have saved these incidents from happening.

The UPS is actually much more useful than just Arlo. A couple of years ago we had a power outage during the Super Bowl. My neighbor was distraught so I let him connect to my WiFi so he could watch the game.  For Arlo, it also allows recordings and access to occur normally which can't happen otherwise.

GearNetRouter
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I think if you lived in Miami or Houston you would appreciate having a UPS. Not only to keep your mobile phones charged but to make sure you capure video in case the looters come looking for stuff.

Denida
Aspirant
Aspirant

I too have had the same issues after a power outage.

The solution is to unplug the power, wait 30 seconds and replug it in. Since i'm away a great deal of the time, I will be installing a wifi receptacle for the base to plug into. So next time this happens I can remotely repower up the base.

manfredz
Hero
Hero

Denida  thats whati  did and found it works well.  Just remember to place the IP power switch between the base station and your power bar so the internet modem/routeris  outside the loop or youwi ll be able to turn powero ff but not back on

Denida
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the heads up

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

A UPS is also a good idea, especially for remote installations. Plug th emodem, router and base into it so 1) nothing gets powered down during most outages and 2) your cameras can still be accessed and record during that outage.

Nikisugar
Aspirant
Aspirant
I am have you figured out the problem yet because this security doesn't make me feel very safe due to it randomly going offline and staying that way till I get home
Arlohelp
Aspirant
Aspirant

pc2k17 your explanation sounds very good!

I would love to ask you:

After your internet is back on and you put the Arlo base on. Do you just plug the arlo base cables out and back in? Or do you also press the button on the base on top?

In case you dont need to press the button woud the next scenario or setup work to reboot remotly?

Internet drops. Internet comes back on and Arlo base if offline and can not connect.

Wemo switch does automaticly reconnect when internet is back on. Wemo switch is connected to the arlo pro base. Remotley put WEMO switch (or other smartplug) off and on and the Arlo base reboots without any fysical handeling.

Would the arlo base reconnect and be online again?

Thank you for your time if you could help me with this.

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Power cycle the base with the button on the back of the base

You don't need to use the sync/siren button on top

You can't remotely restart the base because it has to be online to have that option

If you remotely restart the base using a wemo switch/outlet to power cycle the base, the base will come back online.

Denida
Aspirant
Aspirant

Remember that if you have a WEMO switch, or similar product, it may default to off when the power is restored, so wait a few minutes before turning the Wemo switch back on, so that your wifi would have had time to finish rebooting. 

Fuzzy_Melon
Guide
Guide

The purpose of an uniterruptable power supply is to provide a graceful shutdown window of electronic products. That is, unless it is gas powered and available for unlimited time. Obviously it has side advantages that we all utilize as well.

I always do recommend a UPS for multiple reasons but in this case it is just a distraction from the main issue, which is the Arlo's inability to attempt a DHCP handshake more than once.

Does anyone know if this has been addressed yet? Is there a new firmware upgrade available yet that is a documented fix for this issue? Has this scenario it even been recognized by Net Gear as being a known issue?

steve_t
Master Master
Master

I'm pretty sure they know about the issue. Not sure where it is on their priority list though

Arlohelp
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thank you for all the advice!

I guess that any smartplug could work right?

I am a bit affraid that smartplugs is maybe not allways easy to install or not so easy with router to reset.
I was also thinking to maybe put a digital plug that resets the router once a week on monday 5pm and a second digital plug at 05:05 pm for the aro base on monday. Tht way it doesnt need internet and my router and arlo gets reboot once a week.

Good idea or not?:)
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Fuzzy_Melon wrote:

The purpose of an uniterruptable power supply is to provide a graceful shutdown window of electronic products.

Not unless there's a connection between the UPS and devices plugged into it. Manu UPSes use a USB connection so a computer gets a signal to gracefully shut down but that won't work for Arlo, routers, etc. that aren't configured to handle such inputs.

Fuzzy_Melon
Guide
Guide

Great conversation to have some time but in my previously stated opinion, irrelevant to this thread. Arlo appears to have a problem with re-attempting network negotiation after failing to connect the first time it tries. Not the best scenario for a security device.

jguerdat wrote:

Not unless there's a connection between the UPS and devices plugged into it. Manu UPSes use a USB connection so a computer gets a signal to gracefully shut down but that won't work for Arlo, routers, etc. that aren't configured to handle such inputs.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It is relevant as long as this is an issue. I agree that a mechanism to cause the base to properly connect after an outage is needed but until then...

Jaci2013
Aspirant
Aspirant

My Arlo is connected and all light are green but cannot connect keep saying its offline.  On my devices it say Charles Walton   offline / Device says Your Arlo device appers offline  Please make sure it is powered on and connected to the internet. Which it is don't know what to do.

Charles walton  ce35bjw@sbcglobal.net

HELP 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Have you restarted the base and/or tried loggingout and back in?

Jaci2013
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes I did and it still saying the same thing

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Before more drastic measures, try turning off your modem, router and base. Turn them back on in that order, allowing each to finish initializing before moving on the the next. Any luck?

If not, remove all devices in Settings, My Devices. Press the reset button on the base until the LEDs flash amber. Let the base reboot (green LEDs for power and Internet) and then use the Add Device to add the base and sync the cameras.

Sshills7
Aspirant
Aspirant

My station ha been off line as well - all cables were checked and nothing changes the status

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Other than cables, what else have you tried? What are the LEDs on the base showing? Have you power cycled the base?

Sshills7
Aspirant
Aspirant
Yes we have power cycled the base ...reset it, unplugged it, both the power source and internet cables, press resync, the1st led is solid green and then for internet is blinking green and all the rest are not lit...