Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo base continually disconnects from wifi network

Discussion stats
  • 15 Replies
  • 12 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Llewxam
Star
Star

My Arlo base continually disconnects from my wifi network.  I continually have to reset and restart the base for it to connect and then, again, disconnect after only a few minutes.  This problem started only about two weeks ago. I do not have this problem with any other device on my network. I use a MacBook Air.  I do use Malwarebytes (if someone tthinks this is the source), the two have worked togethter prior to this without an issue.  The base is directly connected to my router via cable. I have also restarted the modem, the router and the Arlo base only to have the problem repeat itself after only a few minutes. Any ideas what the issue is? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Llewxam
Star
Star

This is the solution that I found works for me...more expensive than I thought but none-the-less it works and it works well.

Before buying new I continued to look for solutions to the problem I that I expressed.   I spoke with my ISP provider and with the manufacturers of my modem and router .  I think all the help that I received was genuine in its purpose but of little help.  My opinion of the issue was that my Arlo base, first edition, was just out-of-date and no longer supported.  No one actually expressed the possiblity of replacement as a solution in those words.  It would have easy enough to pose the possiblity of replacement when I was told, without hesitation, that my warraty had expired.  I finally bought a new base.  

It was easy enough to set up.  It is faster at some things, yet the delay experience is still apparent. It does offer a few new features: it is smaller and looks better, it seems to connect to my cameras quicker, has a siren (not used), and has a USB storage capability.

So for now my Arlo system is up and running, things are fine and working well.  

Thanks to those that took an interest and offered assistance. 

Finis

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
manfredz
Hero
Hero

Although I can't say there is a connection, try turning malwarebytes off to see if disconnects stop.

Llewxam
Star
Star

I gave it a shot...still disconnects.  Thanks for the suggestion however.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I use Malwarebytes with no issues.  The question is whether the base is actually disconnecting or it's the interface not working properly.  WHen "disconnected" is the Internet LED off or amber? If so, it may be a hardware problem and you'll need to open a case with support using the Contact Support link at the bottom here.  If it's a software issue, the same case would help raise the issue.

Llewxam
Star
Star

The light is amber for a moment then off.  There are eight items connected including Arlo.  I have turned all devices off except for my laptop, the modem,   and Arlo contiues to disconnect.  No other devices have the problem even when more than eight devices are connected.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Open the case. You're just beating your head against a brick wall.
Llewxam
Star
Star

Thanks for the counsel

MyIQArLo
Apprentice
Apprentice
I came back on here to check a post of mine for the exact same issue. It has actually worsened and I didnt think that was possible. Arlo is dropping the ball on this one. I have nothing but good things to say except for this one horrible issue. It would seem, to someone with no programming experience, that the issue is an easy fix since virtually everything we own is wifi and none of those things have these serious flaws. Mine shows me off the coast of Florida smack dab in the middle of the Atlantic ocean only to see me break all world records traveling at warp speed and arriving in California seconds later. Sadly, its right back to the Atlantic. Advice to Arlo...for now, STOP making new products because if this keeps up, they'll all be sitting on the shelves. What are you waiting for??? Fix it!
MyIQArLo
Apprentice
Apprentice
I tried to contact support...no luck. It said connecting for 10 minutes before I cancelled and retried 3 times. In this day and age, support is vital or people move quick. I said goodbye to canary for this and now im not sure it was a good idea?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If you use the Contact Support link at the bottom here there are several methods of contact - you're not limited to one.

Llewxam
Star
Star
I don't yet have an idea what the next step should be...any suggestions? Is anyone at Arlo aware of this issue?
MyIQArLo
Apprentice
Apprentice
If anyone at Atl believed george ding works I would be surprised. They know it. They're just not putting enough effort into fixing their mistake. Next product with any potential to hit the market and Netgear will see their mistake. Or should I say, feel? It's ashamed because they brought a worthy product to the market early and this little tweak is thr cause of all sorts of grief gor their customers. We'll see how this plays out, I guess?
MyIQArLo
Apprentice
Apprentice
Oops. Just saw what auto correct did to my previous post.
If anyone at arlo believed geofencing works.
It's a shame
The
For
For the record, I don't know who george ding is but I am krunk as the atl.
Llewxam
Star
Star

Update:  I am still having the problem with my base station disconnecting from wifi only less so.  I did speak with someone at Netgear about the problem.  Although as polite as the technician was she unable to point me to a solution.  I was advised to reboot, restart, delete and start over, remove the firewall (not provided by my ISP), contact my ISP, and contact my router manufacturer (Google). I did every bit of their counsel to no avail.  Finally, with no satisfactory solution, I was told my products were out-of-warranty. That provided a sense of finality to our conversation and the extent of their counsel.  Needless to say I felt that I was being read steps to take to solve a problem without that person having a understanding of the product technically. 

I have explored my router and its App (Google On Hub) I found that IPv6 was disabled...so I enabled it and, as a reslut it has provided an improvement, my base station disconnects less frequently and this morning it has been stable.  I have ordered a new Base Station...but it won't arrive for another month (must be market demand issue). 

I appreciate everyone's assistance.

...I'll report back shortly

Llewxam
Star
Star

This is the solution that I found works for me...more expensive than I thought but none-the-less it works and it works well.

Before buying new I continued to look for solutions to the problem I that I expressed.   I spoke with my ISP provider and with the manufacturers of my modem and router .  I think all the help that I received was genuine in its purpose but of little help.  My opinion of the issue was that my Arlo base, first edition, was just out-of-date and no longer supported.  No one actually expressed the possiblity of replacement as a solution in those words.  It would have easy enough to pose the possiblity of replacement when I was told, without hesitation, that my warraty had expired.  I finally bought a new base.  

It was easy enough to set up.  It is faster at some things, yet the delay experience is still apparent. It does offer a few new features: it is smaller and looks better, it seems to connect to my cameras quicker, has a siren (not used), and has a USB storage capability.

So for now my Arlo system is up and running, things are fine and working well.  

Thanks to those that took an interest and offered assistance. 

Finis

manfredz
Hero
Hero

Yes the Arlo Pro (which is what you're describing) is better and has features the Arli WiFi doesn't have, but many of us are quite happy with the Arlo WiFi