Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

azarloGuy
Apprentice
Apprentice

So one of my cameras has notified me of motion 2 times yet the icon on my phone (iOS) says 142 notifications on the icon. Really? This has been going on for a while now. And yes I have the latest version. Should it not say 2 instead of 142.

130 REPLIES 130
Linusl
Luminary
Luminary
Perhaps you should start a new thread for this feature/bug since this is focused on badges.

I havent experienxed any multiple notifications at all.
n2RPG
Tutor
Tutor

MODEL # VMB4000r3

I have iOS 13 and updated the app to the latest version as indicated. No change in bad notification counts going down after visiting the library.

Deleted the app and reinstalled the latest version; no effect.

My action (viewing the library) does NOT impact the notification counter. Seems as though there is some type of lag with the server and/or some issue with my action not being recognized and the view count not reset as a result.

Please look into this.

UPDATE: It seems to work haphazardly. Newest notifications do go away when I check, but notifications from a few days ago do not go away no matter how many pages of the library I visit. I have no idea what is set to "not viewed" vs. "viewed".

Maybe the solution is to create a, "CLEAR NOTIFICATIONS" button for each camera? Don't know what else you can do other than to fix whatever bug is causing this issue.

UPDATE 2: So, it DOES SEEM that there is major LAG in terms of notification updates disappearing. I had over 400 notifications and kept going to the library to make them go away and nothing. 10 minutes later they finally went away. This tells me there is some sort of server back end processing lag between my viewing latest videos vs. the server updating the status of my having watched them.

So, while it is "fixed" there is a LAG that needs to be addressed therefore it is not 100% completely "fixed".

🙂

PhotoGuyRowlett
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi Jessica.....yes, the notification badge will show 34 (or some high number) but the actual new videos for the entire day might be 7 or 8.  Totally inaccurate.....or I do not understand the TIME FRAME for which this new badge count is calculated.  It used to be f on the last time I cleared & watched the videos.

Appreciate your help,

Mike

bmwdriver7175
Apprentice
Apprentice

Yet another app update and today two recordings and the badge says 45.  Guess they are still looking into it, they've been "looking into it" now for 5 or 6 months.  Now a new Arlo Pro 3 has been released.  Don't they get it?  Your new hardware releases are meaningless if the software continues to have problems.  Geofencing breaks constantly, connection time to cameras are horrendously slow, notifications are hit and miss, the list goes on and on.  Why not focus on making your existing customers happy instead of expanding your PISSED OFF customer base through new products.  Soon they too will be posting here, if they don't wise up first and return their product in the alloted return window of the retailer they bought the system from.

n2RPG
Tutor
Tutor
Ok I figured this out!

When you launch the app, you MUST go into the “library” (2nd icon at bottom from left) and it will clear all. If you do not; if you go to a camera’s individual library, it will NOT clear.

It’s some kind of bug but I am so happy I figured out the workaround. No more inflated numbers for me. Go directly to the library and it will clear all. If you make a mistake just quit the app, launch again and go to the library. It will still work.

Good luck.
Wingguy
Aspirant
Aspirant

Well said BMWDRIVER7175.  I see very little attention to fixing issues, only on sales.  I have the same issues with the badge count being wrong, geofencing being unreliable and requiring frequent disables and re-enables to get it back in sync.  The lag time in retrieving a live image or a recording is excessive. The Arlo doorbell lag to calling me makes it unusable, if it even calls at all.  If I knew what I know now I would have a different solution. I expected better engineering response from Netgear.

DscoochR
Aspirant
Aspirant
I’m not family sharing and the icon numbers continue and sometimes some clear and some don’t but that is random and how the app wants to do whatever
DscoochR
Aspirant
Aspirant
I agree...annoying since ARLO separated from netgear...hope this departure doesn’t have arlo go down hill with lack of tech fixes in a timely manner...too expensive a system to have this not get fixed in 24-48 hours!
ScotchRocket
Initiate
Initiate
Same issues here, same random counts on the badge (large numbers). Arlo app version 2.9.1 and iOS 13.1.1.
Unimpressed100
Aspirant
Aspirant
I am having to review hundreds of old motion secretion badge counters in the latest Arlo app. It’s inaccurate and annoying to see that motion dectection badge counters are showing previously viewed video as unseen. Every time this company makes a software update to fix something they break something else. Each release introduces a new set of bugs that don’t get resolved for months. I have to access the app on iOS and Android to perform different tasks and that’s just ridiculous. I refuse to pay for their monitoring service because the free version is full of bugs. Why pay for more bugs. Hundreds of millions in dollars of revenue and countless developers and this is what you get.
5EAN
Aspirant
Aspirant

I’m having this issue too on new App. Sometimes the number drops but never clears completely and is inconsistent. Was looking to expand my system but will wait now to see if the support is any good. It has taken a long time without a fix so it’s not looking promising.

n2RPG
Tutor
Tutor

When you launched the app, you have to go directly to the library and all will clear.

If you don't, and go into a specific camera page, they won't clear.

So, if you do that, just quit the app, relaunch, go to the library and it will all clear.

I assume it's a feature not a bug, but whatever.

5EAN
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks n2RPG,

Going straight to the library did clear the notifications.

Much appreciated 

n2RPG
Tutor
Tutor

Awesome, thanks for confirming.

Good to know it wasn't just me!

Joe_Navy
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have had the same issues from day one, on iOS devices. I have also worked with technical support but no real answers. I do share the system with family member and theirs will clear.  Mine shows 17,253 and growing. I do try to clear but it is a futile effort. I would have better results by banging my head on the wall.  

n2RPG
Tutor
Tutor

Have you tried DIRECTLY going to the library before you click on anything else?

It clears it for me when I do that.

Once you launch the app, if you look at the videos under a certain camera and go back, it will NOT clear.

BUT if you do NOTHING ELSE WHEN YOU FIRST LAUNCH BUT GO STRAIGHT TO THE LIBRARY, it will all clear.

Try it. Other people have and it solved the issue for them.

Joe_Navy
Aspirant
Aspirant

Your solution worked by clearing the counter.   However, the next time I had motion, I was back at 17,231 alerts. I wish Arlo gave us the option to truly clear all alerts. 

Cswan
Aspirant
Aspirant
My App is version 2.10. Still having the same badge count problem. So annoying. What can I do? Never had this problem with the old App.
Linusl
Luminary
Luminary
You cant do anything but wait. Maybe they will fix this within a year or two.

My wife has 6 Badges even though no unseen videos exist and I have 1768 badges on the same cameras/account.
Its very annyoing.
n2RPG
Tutor
Tutor

There is only ONE solution.

With the app NOT YET activated, launch the app and immediately go to the LIBRARY.

It will clear all notifications.

It ONLY works if you go to the LIBRARY IMMEDIATELY UPON LAUNCH, not after you've looked at recordings of various cameras (in which case it will NOT clear the notifications).

Linusl
Luminary
Luminary
But after awhile badges come back. So thats just to temporary clear them.
n2RPG
Tutor
Tutor

Based on my experience the only coming back is new content being recorded / new camera motion being picked up.

I don't have old recording showing up again as new.

Adksi11892
Apprentice
Apprentice

Mine have gone the other way in the last couple of days, even though I get notifications the app counter never shows any number.  Was working fine until last couple of days.

self_alex99
Initiate
Initiate
In the past week I have recently purchased the arlo ultra one camera system and ever since then it has given me an excess unread count on the app (currently at 19,000) when I look at the library it goes away for a while then comes back. Please fix this issue!!!
tbeaulieu
Aspirant
Aspirant

This worked for me as well. It’s required to unload the app though, for sure. Can’t simply close and come back in. In IOS swipe up for running app list and close it. What a stupid bug. If I go into any library view, all badge counters should reset for the filters applied. Every time.