Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 45 Replies
  • 8 Likes
  • 13 In Conversation
RC0001
Tutor
Tutor
Arlo app keeps crashing everytime I try to open this app. Running on Android with Galaxy 7 edge. Samsung thinks the app is slowing phone down. Screen shot attached. Problems started since late update.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the app. Problem remained. Anyone else having same issues?
45 REPLIES 45
CuttableHydra
Aspirant
Aspirant
James, I have a Galaxy 8+. The app worked fine until the 5/23/18 update. It has crashed continuously since the update. It worked briefly when I logged in on my iPad and changed the mode from geofencing to alarm. As soon as I switched back to geofencing it crashed again.
Morehops
Aspirant
Aspirant

I saw another thread where Sanman was having the same issue but it was fixed when:

Seems there's a timeout happening somewhere; got my friend to remove my access to their Arlo cameras and bingo; app works fine again for my setup.  Strange how it was working from the Web interface; just not my Android app.

I have access to my parents cameras so I might give this a shot but I need to keep access so it is not a real solution for me.

CuttableHydra
Aspirant
Aspirant
My share is also with my parent's system. I deleted me from their account and the app on my galaxy 8+ doesn't crash. Added me back to their account and it crashed again. Not a long term solution, but a good temporary workaround while the bug gets fixed. Thanks for the suggestion
SRFDDS
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hopefully this is not marked as resolved.  I have not heard anyting back from Arlo since I had a chat session last Sunday. It seems that a lot of people are having the same problem.  I use this to monitior my own home and to monitor my 91 year old mother's home.  It was for piece of mind if she didn't answer her phone.  I have over a thousand dollars invested in two systmes and I can't use the app.  Is something wrong with this picture?  It would be nice if someone from Arlo got backed to me and gave me a status update on the fix and an estimate as to when they will think a fix will be available.

HenryWuSC
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have the same problem on Samsun Note 8 after a recent Android update. Other common notes that I noticed:
- I was using Geofencing
- I have shared cameras form other users
SRFDDS
Aspirant
Aspirant
I am also using geofencing.
dsm52
Tutor
Tutor

I also have latest app (release dated 23rd May) on Google Pixel XL 2 (running latest Oreo) and app crashes each time it's opened.

I've uninstalled the app and re-installed, but it still happens.  Very occassionally I've managed to open it without crashing (maybe 1 in 10 times) which is strange.

I don't and haven't used the Geo fencing mode. 

I have 2 x Arlo pro 2 and 1 x Arlo Pro, and base station. 

I'm also logged in to a friend's account too.

Hope this helps narrow down the issue for a fix.

CuttableHydra
Aspirant
Aspirant

Try having your friend delete you from their account.  It worked to stop the constant crashing on my app.  It's not what I would call "Resolved" by any stretch of the imagination, but at least you will be able to open the app. 

If your friend has you listed to recieve email notifications, even though you are deleted as a share, you will continue to get alarm notifications when their system is armed and detecting motion.

Morehops
Aspirant
Aspirant

Removing the connection to my parent's sytem stopped the app from crashing but  that definitely isn't a solution.  Hopefully it will get resolved soon.

Cagnulein
Star
Star

Same issue.

I don't use geofencing.

I share the camera with my girlfriend.

SRFDDS
Aspirant
Aspirant

I cant get into the app to remove my mother's system. How did you do it?

CuttableHydra
Aspirant
Aspirant
Log into your mom's account and delete your access under the "settings/grant access" section of her account.
Morehops
Aspirant
Aspirant

You can also log in through the web interface and remove it from your account.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

For those experiencing this issue i'd like to gather more information on your setup to escalate to the engineering team.

Please send me a pm with the following information. Click Here for private message instructions

Device model and OS version: [Example: Samsung Galaxy S8, Android 7.0]

What model devices do you have shared: [Example: Arlo Pro, Arlo Q and Arlo Q Plus]

Which device is experiencing the app crash: (primary device, shared device, both):

Is the crash intermittent or does it always occur:

Does removing the shared access resolve the issue, does the crash return if you share again:

JamesC

SwiftyRox
Apprentice
Apprentice

JamesC....I inboxed you the details you requested

SwiftyRox
Apprentice
Apprentice

Just an update...I was having the same issue as everyone else...constantly crashing as soon as the app was opened.

I removed the (1) device a neighbor was sharing with me and the app started working properly again on both my Note 8 and Galaxy Tab S3....So there seems to be some consistency with this activity and sharing (granting access) devices with other users.

My neighbor also told me he had to remove our cameras from his list of devices because it was causing his app to crash constantly on his iPhone...

Netgear needs to sort this out....many people share devices with friends and family to monitor homes, pets, and elderly folks. 

In the meantime....try this method yourself if your app is crashing and you have a shared device of someone else's system...Just remove the device from your list of devices online...worked for me anyways..

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

New Android app v2.5.2 is available. Any luck?

Cagnulein
Star
Star

the new android app solves the issue finally!

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

A new version of the Android Arlo mobile app is available in the app store. Please download the latest version of the app and let me know if you continue experience this issue.

Release Notes - Android App 2.5.1 - 23rd May 2018

JamesC

CuttableHydra
Aspirant
Aspirant

The new version has stopped the crashing caused by sharing another's camera system on my Android phone.

Morehops
Aspirant
Aspirant

I installed the new version and added back the shared devices and everything is working correctly!