Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo and R7000 Router

Discussion stats
  • 15 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
Vash
Aspirant
Aspirant

I tried to setup an Arlo add-on camera with my Netgear Nighthawk (R7000) router. My router is firmware version V1.0.6.28_1.1.83 (latest available). I also did a factory reset of the router after updating the firmware. I initally was able to add my router to my Arlo account via the Arlo iOS app, but the camera was not adding properly. When the camera was finally showing up in the Arlo app, video was unavailable and the camera status constantly said "Busy". I went through multiple iteration of removing and re-adding my router and the camera to my Arlo account. Now, no devices show up in my Arlo account and I am unable to add any devices. Very disappointed with my Arlo experience thus far.

15 REPLIES 15
MichaelF
Aspirant
Aspirant

I had the same problem. Do you have a USB drive attached to your R7000?

Vash
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, I actually do have two HDD's connected to my R7000 via the USB 2.0 and 3.0 connections.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Take the HDs off.  There appears to be an issue with USB devices being attached when trying to use the router for Arlo.

Vash
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks, jguerdat. I'll definitely try that this evening. The HDD's attached to my network aren't critical so if I need to unattach them while Netgear resolves this bug then it wouldn't be a big deal.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Vash,

We are aware of this issue and our engineers are actively working on a resolution. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We hope to resolve this issue as soon as possible.

JamesC

MichaelF
Aspirant
Aspirant

Make sure you disable USB within the R7000, also even when you are up & running if you re-attach your USB drive the cameras will not fuction. I have opted for a Netgear NAS bay & HD.

3v3ntH0riz0n
Apprentice
Apprentice
I have a different question (I am not using the USB ports on my R7000). I updated my firmware a short while ago (when I got the Arlo Q). I noticed the firmware on my R7000 let me manage Arlo and dump the base station. So of course I did that. However, I am wondering, would I be better off letting the base station manage the Arlo Cameras? My four pod cameras have less delay compared to the Q. I suspect this is because it's also "listening", but not 100% certain. The delay is significant. The two way audio does not facilitate having a conversation with someone on the other end of the camera (as I had hoped for). The lag, and time outs on the app are painful. Tonight I dropped the vid quality on the Q to 720 P, but I doubt that is going to make a big impact. Does the Q even use a base station? I am guessing it wants to do direct attach to your router. I have 95 MB down internet @ the house with 5-6 MB up. LOS to all cameras. The Q being about 30' from the router, and my furthest pod camera is upstairs and about 40' from the router. TIA..
//shutdown -h now
Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy
Can't say anything about the lag of the Q, but have read this might normal.

Have also read that the router provides a stronger signal than the base station. It may not make much of a difference for you, though, because you're well within maximum range.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
I don't get lag on my Q which is because the Q is constantly recording. Because of this, it uses pre-buffering to show a few seconds before motion is actually recorded, unlike the wireless cameras which have to detect motion and then wake up to record. Obviously, WHEN motion is detected makes a difference since if it's not properly detected, the few seconds won't help. Do you have any detection zones set up for the Q? My Q is set up viewing through a window to monitor outdoors and set a zone for only that part in which I'm interested. Motion starts and I'll see the subject move into sight (there are some instances where it shows motion already started but those are fairly rare). Can you post a screenshot of the zone view in settings so we can check out any zones and the whole scene?
3v3ntH0riz0n
Apprentice
Apprentice
I don't have any zones set up, it is mounted high on the wall facing down. I logged on to the web portal this morning to test lag between an egg in the kitchen and the Q, and the Q was lagging behind the egg as far as screen out put, then the Q stopped sending a signal, dropped off for a second, then came back with the "click to view live". Firmware on the Q: 1.7.1_4792 I just modified the zone, so that it would be a smaller area closer to my computer desks.
//shutdown -h now
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Maybe were using lag to describe different things. The traditional lag noted here is for the wireless cameras to not record for at least a couple of seconds after motion is detected. I now think you're referring to the amount of time when live viewing before the video is seen on-screen. Which are you using?

3v3ntH0riz0n
Apprentice
Apprentice

Lag in regards to while looking at the video feeds from the Q vs non Q, the non Q display the movement before the Q model does.  

//shutdown -h now
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Can't say for sure.  It may be the way each camera type handles the stream since the Q is always streaming and may have a different way of processing and displaying the scene.  It's also possible that the Q is using a different server with more delays in the transaction.

Just guessing here.

3v3ntH0riz0n
Apprentice
Apprentice

I suspect it's because it's processing audio as well.  A simple test would be to disable audio collection and then compare.

//shutdown -h now
JB-45
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just purchased a brand new R7000 from Amazon that arrived yesterday. During installation it performed a firmware upgrade to the latest (it said). It is now running V1.0.5.70 and their is no Arlo in the Basic tab in Genie. How can I get the version that allows Arlo?