Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo and NetGear Routers

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
KPalBlue
Follower
Follower

I just recently purchased the Arlo Security cam system. I was also told by the sales associate that i would be able to use a Netgear router as an additional base if i ever wanted to add more than 5 cameras to my house. I bought the NetGear Wireless AC 1750 Dual Band Gigabit Router Model: R6400-100NAS.  Would this router be okay to use as a base. I keep reading stuff saying that I need a nighthawk router.. Please advise!!! thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If you really want router capability with Arlo wireless cameras, you current choice is the R7000. That's it. There may be others that will eventually add the capability but nothing has been announced.

Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy

KPalBlue wrote:

I was also told by the sales associate that i would be able to use a Netgear router as an additional base if i ever wanted to add more than 5 cameras to my house.

Salespeople. Gotta love 'em.

The number of cameras that can be connected to a base station (or the one compatible Netgear router for that matter) is not dependent on the base station or Netgear router, but solely influenced by the subscription plan you're on.

The Basic Plan (which is also currently the only free plan) allows for up to five connected cameras. The Premier Plan for ten, and the Elite Plan for 15.

You can connect 15 cameras to one, two or 15 base stations when subscribed to the Elite Plan.

Note that one other limitation is that the number of concurrent video streams cannot exceed five per base station, no matter the subscription plan you're on. A video stream is either a live view of a camera or an event-triggered video recording in progress.

Also note that you don't necessarily need to subscribe to a paid plan if you want to use more than five cameras. You'd only have to create additional accounts for every additional lot of up to five cameras, and hence log in to each account separately. Additional base stations would be needed in this scenario too, (at least) one per each account.