Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
kvnklr
Initiate
Initiate

This product lacks SO many basic features I'm just going to just list them...

-My main complaint is it stopped working while I was out of town and I couldn't do anything about it and I haven't been able to get it working again since

-Stops recording after a time period and not when motion stops. So the UPS guy drives up to the house and your camera records 30 seconds of him searching for your package in the back of his truck and shuts off

-Slow to start recroding

-Can't plug in the camera without the battery flap being wide open making the camer impossible to set down while plugged in so you're stuck always using batteries.

-Base unit is huge. Almost larger than my router. Seems silly these days when other cameras are made with wifi built in

-Won't start recording through windows. Has to do with the infrared motion sensor. I get it, but it's annoying.

-Wireless outdoor camera just waiting to be stolen... Especially if you know the flaws of this system

I was sucked into buying this product because of their marketing and the look and design. It turned out to be a very pretty piece of junk.

10 REPLIES 10
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

kvnklr,

I'd like to offer assistance with some of your concerns posted above:

When you say the camera stopped working, what behavior was indicating that it was not working? Were you getting any error messages?

Continuous recording on motion is a feature available on Arlo Pro and Arlo Q/Q Plus. This feature may be available in the future for the original Wire-free cameras, but unfortunately not at this time.

Camera placement is key to improving motion detection. Take a look at this article for tips on positioning your camera for best performance: How do I optimize motion detection for my Arlo Wire-Free, Arlo Pro Wire-Free, or Arlo Go camera?

The original Arlo Wire-free cameras are not designed to be powered via USB. We do not advise any powering method outside of using the recommended batteries to power Arlo Wire-free cameras.

JamesC

kvnklr
Initiate
Initiate

The base unit stopped connected to the internet. My cameras constantly show offline. The power light is on but no internet activity. My network works will all other devices in my home. I'd love nothing more than a refund on my purchase. Even if it starts working again I do not trust the system to continue working while I'm traveling. For $250 this camera should offer SOO much more.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

kvnklr,

Any refund requests would need to be made through the original purchase location.

It sounds like it could potentially be an issue with the ethernet cable or the port on the router that the base is connected to. Try using a known working ethernet cable and and plug in to a different router port to further isolate the issue.

JamesC

manfredz
Hero
Hero

almost not worth mentioning considering your other issues but re 30 sec recording length..... the recording length can be set to as high as 120 sec.

JohnSmith75
Tutor
Tutor

Problems with Wire-Free camera may be caused by poor network signal or WiFi speed, however I want to recommend you WiFi monitoring software .Application has convenient and simple interface, a wide range of tools for diagnosing and troubleshooting, it’s free and simple, helps you to find and fix problems within network and improve signal and speed quality. 

Air-Guzzler
Aspirant
Aspirant

Can you please tell me how you extend the recording times

manfredz wrote:

almost not worth mentioning considering your other issues but re 30 sec recording length..... the recording length can be set to as high as 120 sec.

Uh1pilot
Guide
Guide
Spiders, birds will trigger the detection make sure you clean the area around the camera. I also recommend the black skin rubber to camouflage the camera. The two Camera and base is at cosco for $149 now. Amazon $215.
manfredz
Hero
Hero

Air-Guzzler

To adjust Arlo video recording length:

Launch the Arlo app or log in to your Arlo account at arlo.netgear.com.
    Tap or click Mode.
    Select the base station or camera that you want to adjust.
    Tap the pencil icon or click > next to the mode for which you want to edit recording length.
    Note: You cannot adjust recording length for Disarmed or Schedule modes, only for active modes such as Armed.
    Tap the pencil icon or click > next to the rule that you want to edit.
    If the mode only has one rule, it is preselected.
    Tap the pencil icon or click > next to Record Video.
    Note: If Record Video is not selected, you cannot edit recording length.
    Select Record Time and move the slider to your preferred recording length.
    Tap < Edit Rule or click Back.
    Tap Done or click Save.
    Your recording length is updated.

Alec1
Tutor
Tutor

I cannot set the recording time --as I move the slider to longer than 10 secs and check it -it has gone back to 10secs --and there is NO pencil showing on screen that I should tap. 

Alec

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Just tried this and it worked fine.  Are you using the app or a browser?  Have you tried the other?