Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 26 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 11 In Conversation
markkim1
Tutor
Tutor

I have had these two camera's that have hard batteries for a couple of year.  I generally get about 2 months on the 4 batteries required.  In the last month, I am getting about 1 week before the batteries die and need to be replaced.  This is happening on TWO cameras so it is not a hardware issue, most likely software.  This makes these camera's useless to me.

26 REPLIES 26
Streak2
Master Master
Master

How many recordings per day per camera?

Are you using primary or rechargeable CR123 cells?

Have you tried power cycling your base (remove power for a minute and then plug back in).

markkim1
Tutor
Tutor

Using C123 batteries.  Once cam has almost NO recordings per day, they other is less than 5.  Yes, I have power cycled the base several times with no impact.  I still only get about a week out of 4 fresh batteries.  Frustrating. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@markkim1 wrote:

Using C123 batteries.  Once cam has almost NO recordings per day, they other is less than 5.  Yes, I have power cycled the base several times with no impact.  I still only get about a week out of 4 fresh batteries.  Frustrating. 

Any evidence of dropped connections (cameras off-line, or corrupted recordings)?

markkim1
Tutor
Tutor

No evidence of dropped connections or corrupt recording.

Also, I have a third cam on the system that has rechargeable batteries and it operates fine.

Streak2
Master Master
Master

Is the camera that's working fine using rechargeable CR123's or is it an Arlo Pro/Pro2?

You could try and swap locations of the cameras to see if that makes a difference you could also remove the and then re-sync the high drain cameras in case that works.

Lastly, are you happy about the quality of the batteries that you are using? How old are they and what brand?

markkim1
Tutor
Tutor

The camera that is working fine is a rechargeable Pro 2.  I have removed both of the other cameras and reinstalled them and there is no improvement.  This is a recent issue as both cams have worked well for 2 years.

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hey markkim1,

I would suggest to contact the Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

markkim1
Tutor
Tutor

Oh man, giving up on me???  I though this was Support Team!  So now I need to start this all over again with another group?  Bummer.

DarrenF
Tutor
Tutor

Just found this thread. I'm experiencing a similar issue. I have 3 x standard camera's. System is jutsover a year ol, so outside warranty!

2 camera's work fine, but one (that is closest to router) has just gone through a new set of Panasonic CR123 batteries in 10 days with only 2 (short) recordings.

markkim1
Tutor
Tutor

what say you ARLO?  How can you help us out??

DarrenF
Tutor
Tutor

Has anyone has any luck with using one of these mains adaptors (see link below) which 'supposingly' can be used with the standard wireless cameras, in much the same way as the Pro version and its usb port adaptor???

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adapter-Compatible-Replace-Weatherproof-Continuously-White/dp/B07JKZQ734/re...

They seem to come with a pre-wired set of 4 x cells and you have to create a small hole in the battery flap, but in theory you can then run the camera all day everyday without changing batteries...

I'm sure Arlo won't condone the use, but if your camera is outside of warranty and not behaving itself, then do you really have that much to lose?

ertriad
Aspirant
Aspirant

I had a similar problem. My cameras are normally deactivated and therefore able to hold 100% charge for weeks. However since beginning of 2020, batteries have been draining to 15-20% within 5 days EVEN THOUGH CAMERAS ARE DEACTIVATED !

However...

Restarted base station 2 days ago. So far all batteries (with all cameras DEACTIVATED) are holding their charge at 100%. Prior to the restart, the level would have dropped to between 50%-70% by now.

Early days yet, but it's looking like a software/firmware bug in the base station in my view. Furthermore, I note from similar threads that a base station update was released beginning of this year ! 

AKSWAN
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have been having this same problem with batteries & many other problems since firmware update. I will try this suggestion & reply back!

ertriad
Aspirant
Aspirant
Update 19 Feb 2020..All batteries now functioning normally and holding charge for weeks when cameras are DEACTIVATED..Definitely a Base Station problem in my view principally because the workaround is to restart Base Station!
nothyme
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just bought this adapter....$16.00

nothyme
Aspirant
Aspirant

I had a camera completely drain in one day. Needed tach support to get it started at new house and tech said you've got a full battery. Next morning it was in the orange. Tired of this especially due to the cost of the batteries. 

nothyme
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just got the adapter for the camera that is near a plug. It works perfectly! Could not be easier to use. Highly recommend. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adapter-Compatible-Replace-Weatherproof-Continuously-White/dp/B07JKZQ734/re...

murkykey28
Aspirant
Aspirant

My batteries are dying within 1 week aswell, any solution?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@murkykey28 wrote:

My batteries are dying within 1 week aswell, any solution?

Is this new behavior, or have they always done this?  What camera model do you have?

murkykey28
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi, I have the arlo pro, and yes its been doing this since i got the units,

i am running  a test with one of the cameras, (placed it near the base in a not very frequented location, so its not always recording )

Pretty much are swapping out the batteries every week, crazy. love the camera but if it keeps dying like this whats the point? 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@murkykey28 wrote:

Hi, I have the arlo pro, and yes its been doing this since i got the units,

Generally the battery drain has two causes

• Video streaming from the camera
  • Lost connections between the camera and the base (trying the re-establish the connection can drain power quickly).

If you are using activity zones, then there usually is more video streaming than you realize - so try disabling them for a while, and see how much video streaming you are actually getting.

On lost connections - you can look at signal strength.  Other indicators are  video corruption in the recordings, or if you get errors when you live stream.  The distance betweeen the base and the camera is the most important factor.  Though WiFi interference is another possiblity.  If your base is very close to your router, then try moving it as far as the cable will stretch.

murkykey28
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for the response, yes my router is directly next to my base. I will attempt all of your suggestions. 

DarrenF
Tutor
Tutor

Update on my battery draining issue.

I contacted Arlo via their webchat and they were really good. I presented the evidence that it was only happening to one camera, which was only a year old and they too k my concerns seriously.

Long story short, they have swapped my 'faulty' camera and so far, the new one is behaving itself.

Msdmeadows
Aspirant
Aspirant
Did you figure out the problem? I have 4 cameras with rechargeable batteries and this is happening to me too. Thanks