Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
GaWd
Luminary
Luminary

Hi All!

I've owned Arlo for almost 2 years, now. I came across a decent deal on a refurbished VMC-3030, so decided to add one to my 2 camera system. 

I'm currently not terribly happy about my system's motion-sensing performance, so hopefully you can help me place a third camera that will get me what I'm looking for. I'll upload 2 pics. The first one is an overhead staellite photo and it has arrows where my current cameras are (red), and where I might be able to add the third camera for better coverage (blue).

The second is a street-view of my place, if that helps, any.

Satellite-overhead-Arrows.pngStreetview.png

10 REPLIES 10
GaWd
Luminary
Luminary

I currently have the side camera (over the walkway on the right side of pic) trigger the doorway camera, and the doorway camera trigger the side camera...I don't get great performance (as I noted). I really do want to see what goes on in this area (covering the walkway).

I thought the third camera could be used to be triggered by the other 2 cameras and have it not do any motion sensing at all, but I'm not sure that would be best-so I've come for some expert advice.

Thanks.

GaWd
Luminary
Luminary

Just wondering if anyone can chime in?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The nested rules should be helping but maybe it's the cameras' view that's the issue (too much in view). Screenshots of what the cameras see may be useful.

GaWd
Luminary
Luminary

JGuerdat: Do you mean I should be adjusting the frame that the sensor responds to?

GaWd
Luminary
Luminary

I have a camera down, and need to ship it in for a replacement, so it will be a while before I can put it all together.

I will try to use pan & zoom to restrict the FoV of the camera over the walkway; as it is the one people will most likely enter the frame from the side and trigger motion.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Pan and zoom only creates a digital zoom. It doesn't affect the detection zones. Only a camera with zones (Q or AC powered Pro2) can do this.

GaWd
Luminary
Luminary

Yeah, after using pan and zoom, I realized that not only did it not change the FoV for real, but it still detected outside of the zone and merely didn't show me anything outside the frame. perhaps not much of a useful feature?

steve_t
Master Master
Master

IMO, adding more HD cameras to compensate for poor motion detection performance is a false economy. A single add on Arlo Pro camera would ensure motion detection worked quickly and well. You can still get the Arlo Pro to trigger Arlo HD cameras to record as the video quality is the same (720p)

GaWd
Luminary
Luminary

Please explain this angle of adding PRO cameras for motion detection.

Thanks!

steve_t
Master Master
Master

The Arlo Pro camera basically has no delay between detecting motion and recording starting. I find the original Arlo HD cameras have a delay. Others had noted that if they have the camera above their front door, they'd often get videos of a visitor walking away from the door. Besides the significantly better motion detection, the microphone and speaker are useful. The built in rechargeable battery is a huge improvement over the CR123A batteries. The add on Pro camera will work with your existing base station too