Arlo Motion Detection Range?

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
BobTreg
Follower
Follower

I just bought a 2 camera systwm from costco.  Set up was fairly easy.  I placed the cameras pointed at my mailbox but the motion sensors do not detect anything even when sensitivity is set to 100%  What is the range.  The web site is lacking for findaing any way to get some sort of live support or even an 800 number.  Considering just returning it because I need the motion sensors to work because I dont want to watch the video all day to see what is going on t home..Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

People detection is about 20 feet, with motion across the FOV. It will vary according to the exact camera type, motion, size of the object, etc.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

People detection is about 20 feet, with motion across the FOV. It will vary according to the exact camera type, motion, size of the object, etc.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

As just in case... the motion detect does not work thru windows at all... glass blocks the IR needed for the sensor to work

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
bfmayhew
Aspirant
Aspirant

Will looking into direct sun impact motion detection.  Camera is pointed to the west and is not detecting motion in afternoon.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Usually the issue is too much motion detection due to reflected IR from the sun. It could be that the sun's IR is masking other objects. Have you tested it by walking in front of the camera to try to trigger it?

bfmayhew
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, we have walked in front of it and it did not detect any motion.  I have tried changing the sensitivity also with no change.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
We're you testing using the Motion Detection test in Settings or the actual setting in your modes? If not in your modes, the setting isn't saved. However, if it's only in the afternoon, that would seem to be out of the norm. What angle is the camera pointed? It should be down so it wouldn't be directly at the sun.
bfmayhew
Aspirant
Aspirant

I was in Mode and not in Motion Detection.  I have readjusted the camera, increased the sensitivity and it seems to be working better.  I also had to restart the base station.  What I do see is a delay in motion detection and recording start.  What is the typical delay.  Prior to changing the sensitivity I was able to walk through the FOV and it didn't start the recording until I was almost out of the FOV.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Best detection is 2 seconds. WiFi connection to the base can be an issue as well as the camera positioning. Post screenshots for suggestions.
bfmayhew
Aspirant
Aspirant

2017-05-17_0847.png

Sometimes if vehicles go fast enough we will not see anything in the image.  Sensitivity set to 95%.  Considering moving camera farther away from brick and pointing more towards the door.  Thoughts?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
I'd agree with moving the camera. Also, set the recording to e long enough so faces can be captured when either entering or exiting the door area.