Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
DavidK001
Guide
Guide

Arlo base station firmware 1.10.0.7_21310

All 5 cameras firmware 1.2.16720

The system has been working great until about 4 months ago. I have been experiencing the "Arlo device is offline". This will be random, about every 2 or 3 days and with all 5 cameras (mostly 2 or 3 cameras at a time). All cameras are using the Tynergy rechargable batteries, and yes they are charged.

What I have done to get a camera back online is to open the battery compartment and close it, the LED flashes blue and it comes back on. 

Other things I have done:

-Delete and add each camera back into the system (FYI be prepared to add them back into any custom modes too).

-Restart the base station.

-Put the base station power strip on a timer to shut off for 15 mintues each day.

-Delete the Arlo app from my IPhone and reinstall it. I also get the same issue using my browser but thought it wouldn't hurt to do it.

-Move the cameras to different areas, including setting them next to the base station. Currently the farthest camera is 50'.

I have read through many discussion threads and nothing new has caught my eye, but I may have missed something.

I have had this system since early 2017 and have been using for job site monitoring. I have set this up in many locations using different internet connections and placing the cameras in different location throughout a job. This worked very well until lately. I am ready to exand this set up but I'm hesitant if this can't be resolved. I'm hoping it's just as simple as an update.

Thank you in advance for reading and replying.

14 REPLIES 14
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

When offline, what are the LEDs on the base showing?

DavidK001
Guide
Guide
Sometime last night one camera went offline, currently three LED lights are solid green, the center LED will blink a few times occasionally.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

the 3 leds should be green, blinking of center led shows activity to internet... normal

If the cameras are dropping , consider swapping 2 cameras and see if the issue follows the same camera to the new location.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
DavidK001
Guide
Guide
Already experimented with that, went as far as putting them next to the base station and still get an offline camera. They don’t go offline at the same time, first one and then a day later another one. I have 1 of 5 cameras that has been dependable. Could it be moisture getting inside? They look dry inside the battery compartment, just throwing out ideas here.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Not likely moisture. Try removing one from Settings, My Devices and resync to see if that helps.

DavidK001
Guide
Guide
Did that already. Removed 3 cameras and added them back in., didn’t solve the issue. If Netgear would like to send me a new camera at no charge to see if it’s a camera problem I would be happy to accept. Does their tech Dept. read these threads??
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

An alternative would be to purchase one yourself and return it if no luck.

DavidK001
Guide
Guide
if I discover that it is a camera problem, what then? I need to replace them all because the cameras only lasted a year? Is this what I can expect from a new set of cameras? There is a lot of discussion about this problem and Netgear has not provided a solution. This is a disappointment. I will be turning my efforts towards finding a new security system.
Thank you to all who have commented in an attempt to resolve this issue.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

DavidK001,

It sounds like the cameras could be struggling to maintain their connection due to interference or range. You might try relocating/elevating the base station, improving signal to the cameras.

JamesC

DavidK001
Guide
Guide
Please read the previous comments I made about setting the cameras NEXT to the base station and still have an issue.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

DavidK001,

A recent camera firmware update was released that may help with the issue you are experiencing. Check your firmware versions here and make sure they match the latest release: Firmware Release Notes

JamesC

DavidK001
Guide
Guide
Yes I saw that the update was available and I have updated all of my cameras to the latest firmware. I hope this will resolve the issue, I will give it a week or two and see what happens.
DavidK001
Guide
Guide
Update: when I started this thread I had one camera currently offline, it remained that way until sometime shortly after July 17 when my camera came back online and remained online. A few days later a firmware update was available and I updated all 5 cameras. I had a perfectly working system until last night (August 2). Today I have 4 cameras offline. I think Netgear has not produced a reliable system.
I was about to mark this issue solved but my satisfaction was short lived.
Helmet1969
Initiate
Initiate

I also purchased an Arlo 3 Camera system in early 2017.  It worked great for the first 6 month, and then I started having the exact same issues that are described in the email chain.  I have also tried everything you listed, plus I also switched back to normal batteries instead of using re-chargeables, and I purchased a home WiFi Mesh system to guarantee a strong signal to the camera positions (my phone stays connected in my neighbor's yard across the street).  Even after all of this, I am getting the "Arlo Device is offline" message on almost a daily basis.  The only way I found to get the devices back online is to restart the system.  But this only fixes the issue for a day or two at the most.

With hearing you have had the same experience, it is clear there is a product issue with the Arlo system.  It is disappointing that a true solution is not being offerred.