Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Arlo Cameral H3 and Smart Base do not communicate.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
rprk
Aspirant
Aspirant

Camera - Model H3 and Firmware: 1.125.17.1_11_de8490d

Smart base: VNB4000r3 and firmware:1.21.0.0_4280_a58d08a

The entire system was working quite well until recently. We changed our internet provider and when we went to install the base and cameras, the cameras work as long as they literally one foot away from the base. They stop working and gives a "your arlo device appears to be offline" error message when we move them further than 5 feet. 

We tried all trouble shoot options including other wifi intereferences. The base is linked by ethernet. 

3 REPLIES 3
DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

Start by making sure that the base station is at least 6ft away from your local router wifi unit. Then power cycle the base station to make it’s wifi channel match the local router. If the base station wifi channel doesn’t match the local router wifi channel you may need to make the local router wifi channel the same as the base station.

rprk
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for your response. I am not sure I understand. The base is connected by ethernet cable to the modem/router. Should they be wifi connected as well? The base station is at least 8 ft away and there are no printers or other wifi interferences between the router and base station. The cameras disconnect as soon as they are moved a foot away. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@rprk wrote:

Thank you for your response. I am not sure I understand. The base is connected by ethernet cable to the modem/router. Should they be wifi connected as well?

No.

The base creates a closed wifi network for the cameras.  There can be interference with your router wifi when the base is too close to the router.

@rprk wrote:

The base station is at least 8 ft away and there are no printers or other wifi interferences between the router and base station. 

That rules out wifi interference.

@rprk wrote:

The cameras disconnect as soon as they are moved a foot away. 

This sounds like the base wifi might be failing.  If you have an Android phone, you can install a wifi analyzer app (there are several free ones), and see how the Arlo network signal strength compares to the signal strength from the router.   They should be about the same.