Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Camera will not stay on

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
Franklyn3
Tutor
Tutor

We have a three camera set.  One camera was replaced due to being defective and the replacement camera will not stay on.  It is out of warranty.  We have continually reset the one camera but it continues to go off after a few weeks.  The other two cameras have worked consistently.   It is impossible to get support from Arlo without a plan.  

Should we ditch the entire system and go to a different brand.  It is for a vacation house and we do have wifi to run the cameras.   

5 REPLIES 5
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You need to be at the house to test. I would swap cameras around to see if it's the location or the camera. I'd wager it's the location with the signal having strength and/or quality issues.

Franklyn3
Tutor
Tutor

We already moved the camera and had the same experience.  Pretty sure the camera is defective.  Was a replacement for a previous defective camera.  We have also tried disposable versus rechargeable batteries but that also did not help.  It is this one camera out of the three.  Thanks for the suggestion.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Please reach out to the Support Team to further investigate this issue you are experiencing. You can find several options for contacting support though the Arlo Mobile App by navigating to Settings/System/Support.

Franklyn3
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks for reply.  Camera went from not working to battery low so not sure what is happening.  I have turned off for now.  Other two cameras work fine. This camera was a replacement for another under warranty. May just have to scrap it.  Looked at support page on app but don’t see options since not under warranty now.

Thanks again for your reply.

Serial number 48B4557M537FE

Retired_Member
Not applicable

@jguerdat wrote:

You need to be at the house to test. I would swap cameras around to see if it's the location or the camera. I'd wager it's the location with the signal having strength and/or quality issues.

I've heard this from Arlo support too, the notion of a location that makes a camera go offline and need resetting after working fine for a few weeks.

Imagine if you will that you bought a smartphone from Apple, and connected it to an Apple WiFi access point.  You use your phone in a room with a weak WiFi signal for a month with no problems.  One day the WiFi connection on your phone drops and doesn't reconnect.  You call Apple support and they say 'your phone is in a bad room. Please factory reset your phone to get your WiFi connection back, then move your phone to a better room'.

Please help me understand the logic here.  What is it about Arlo cameras that makes them different from any other type of WiFi device?  How can a camera work fine for weeks and then need a factory reset because 'bad location'?  Bear in mind that it's possible to disrupt WiFi signals from half a mile away, and how important it is for a WiFi security camera to have extremely strong capabilities when it comes to reconnecting fast if the signal is disrupted.  How does this 'bad location' thing fly exactly?