Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
AusMajor
Aspirant
Aspirant

So I have turned my Arlo camera off using the softwear switch on the App.  

My question is, Is there power still being used by the camera?

The reason for this question is that I purchased Rechargable batteries which were installed at 67% charged.  I turned the camera off immediately (overnight) prior to installing it in its proper position, and overnight the battery has apprantly lost 50% of its power.  

Is the Battery faulty? or Is the camera still using power from the battery even though it has been switched off?

Thanks for your assistance!

6 REPLIES 6
AusMajor
Aspirant
Aspirant

I should add that the Arlo model is the standard arlo Wire free camera - I cannot find a way to amend the Model.. Apologies

manfredz
Hero
Hero

I found I had to charge mine a couple times before they;d drain at a normal rate,

Even off they still consume a little power, otherwise you wouldnt be able to turn on again.

Are you using the certified Tenergy 3.7V gold colored rechargeables?

AusMajor
Aspirant
Aspirant

@manfredz  Thanks for your reply.. !

A quick answer is that no - I am not using Tenergy batteries ( which is a subject of a separate post/question) as they are not available in Australia!  

I am however surprised as the huge power loss over 12 hours with the camera turned off.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
One issue can be the some of the batteries weren't in contact. I've had some stick down so now I suggest that you don't push them down but just allow the battery door to push them down.

Using the On/Off toggle in Settings still leaves the camera minimally powered since it has to be able to respond. However, it is a very low usage and could last many months in that condition. The other thing that can affect battery life like that would be the WiFi connection between the base and cameras. What's the distance and what are the the battery indicators showing?
AusMajor
Aspirant
Aspirant

The distance between the base unit and he camera was about 10 meters - so not excessive or any further than the other cameras on the system

(note that these are not the Tenergy batteries)

I was just really amazed at how quickly the charge ran out for 67% to 13% with the Camera 'turned off"

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

What batteries are you using and what's the rated capacity?  If rated for >800 mAH, it's a bogus rating and may help explain your issue.