Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Keefmac
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hello, I have 5 Arlo Arlo's and a base station (approximately 1 year old).

This last week or so the motion detection has been very poor.

My setup has been fine until this point.

I have changed WiFi channel today, reset Router and Arlo Base Station nothing has made any difference.

When I put the Arlo into "Detection Setting Mode", the little Yellow ligh will light up showing the camera has seen movement, but no notification on the APP or recorded video (when in same position with camera armed).

I notice the APP (Android) has had a recent update (19th May?), has this possibly broken my system?.

My wife has had same problem as me on seperate phone.

I can view the cameras in the APP live with no problem, they just won't trigger recording via movement (even though I've proven good the detection via the Yellow light test.

Any pointers appreciated, is it just my system or have others encountered same thing?.

I have cable broadband with no outages, 120+Mbps.

Thanks for any input, Keith.
11 REPLIES 11
Keefmac
Aspirant
Aspirant
Just to add I have put detection to 100% and Sytem is Armed (all devices). Has been working fine on 80% up until recently.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Keefmac wrote:
Just to add I have put detection to 100% and Sytem is Armed (all devices). Has been working fine on 80% up until recently.

What camera models are these?  You selected VMC3030 (which use 4 CR123 batteries) - but I don't think you'd have purchased them a year ago, as they are very old models.

If they are newer cameras (Ultra, Pro 3, Pro 4, Essential), then it's possible the subscription ran out.  Have you checked for that?

Keefmac
Aspirant
Aspirant
They are the early Arlo's with the 4 batteries, bought from Rymans (2 cameras and base station kit). Could be nearer 2 years old but no older than that.

I don't have paid subscription as ran perfectly well without (never signed up for one).

Just odd how the have decided to stop working with motion trigger. I have swapped cameras about as well with no improvement. As said the Yellow LED is signalling the cameras are detecting movement.

Do the Mk1 Arlo's need a subscription?.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Keefmac wrote:

Do the Mk1 Arlo's need a subscription?.

No.

Have you tried making a manual recording while livestreaming?

Keefmac
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hello again, I've just found another base station (VMB3000) which I bought with a pair of 2nd hand cameras.

I've just set the new base station up with my camera's and still the same fault, it seems the PIR isn't working properly (in all the cameras).

I can live record no problems.

The front camera would pick up people walking down the drive without fail (postman etc), my wife has managed to park the car up and come in without setting a notification. It's missed my son walking down as well.

The rear cameras used to pick our dogs up walking over patio to get into the rear garden, I've been walking around the patio and it hasn't picked me up at all.

It's all just a bit odd, as I said up to last week or so it was working fine?.

As I understand it the Hub should send snippets to the cloud (or local storage) regardless of whether there's a phone present or not?.

So to sum up so far, I've tried 2 different hubs, the cameras all light up Yellow when in "Detection Test" mode, WiFi channel is clean, all firmware up to date and it's happened over last week or so.

I can't see all the cameras failing at the same time.

As it stands now it's a bit useless if I can't get a reliable "ping", but genuinely don't know what's gone wrong.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Keefmac wrote:

As I understand it the Hub should send snippets to the cloud (or local storage) regardless of whether there's a phone present or not?.

Correct.

Just wondering - did you check that the bases are set to the armed mode?

Keefmac
Aspirant
Aspirant
Yes all devices armed, "When Motion Detected Record Video" is selected for all cameras.
Keefmac
Aspirant
Aspirant
Well, I've finally managed to sort it out (hopefully).

Apparently when you do the Motion Test and set the sensitivity, it doesn't actually set the camera?.

You have to do the following..

To change motion detection settings on your Arlo camera: 

Launch the Arlo Secure app or log in to my.arlo.com. 

Tap Mode. Select the device you want to adjust. 

In the Armed section, tap the pencil icon. 

In the Rules section, tap the pencil icon for the rule you want to edit. 

Tap the pencil icon next to Motion is detected. 

Move the slider to decrease or increase motion sensitivity.

Tap Save. 

Tap < Edit Mode. 

Tap Done. 
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Keefmac wrote:

Apparently when you do the Motion Test and set the sensitivity, it doesn't actually set the camera?.

Correct - it's just a test.

Dannybear
Master
Master
Still don’t explain why it stopped working.

I noticed after the last base station firmware update that I had to toggle the mode selection to disarmed and back to armed to get it working.
You can confirm this by looking at the individual detection indicators on the devices page for each camera being greyed out when inactive.
When armed they turn black to indicate active and should go amber when triggered.
Keefmac
Aspirant
Aspirant
Yes I can't understand why it needed adjusting either.

All the cameras were armed on both base units.

Will see what happens this week, it worked last night when I did a walk test.

They're all set at 95% now so will see (originally 80%).

Was thinking the warmer weather my have has something to do with it but it was reasonably cold yesterday evening and they didn't pick our car parking on the drive or my son in and out.

Before on 80% it used to occasionally pick cars up driving on the road outside the house so something has changed somewhere.