Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 15 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
screaminchicken
Tutor
Tutor

What is going on with Arlo? It’s constantly offline, chews through batteries and just doesn’t seem to work anymore at all. Worked fine for years 

15 REPLIES 15
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

screaminchicken,

Do you have any details regarding the issues you are experiencing? Have you tried to reboot your base station? What firmware is your base station & cameras running?

screaminchicken
Tutor
Tutor

I have rebooted more times than I care to count. The system has worked fine for two years or more. No changes have been made to the internet connection. The system will boot up and connect online and everything works but within minutes it goes offline again. When it is online at least one of three cameras is showing as offline, different camera each time. When I sync the offline camera briefly comes online again and then the whole system goes offline. 

firmware is 1.2.21616 for the cameras and 1.11.9.0_26520 for the base station and is apparently all up to date

I'm no tecky but my suspicion is that the last update screwed everything up

Runner56
Guide
Guide
What is your subscription plan? Basic free or paid smartplan?
screaminchicken
Tutor
Tutor
Basic free
dinnyc
Aspirant
Aspirant

Worked fine until new firmware request , then not able to connect to base station , reset worked once but then kept failing. The ineternet is flashing yellow and power is solid yellow ..

screaminchicken
Tutor
Tutor
Sounds about right and seems to be a reasonably well documented issue in various places on the internet...and yet no solution seems to be imminent
Runner56
Guide
Guide
SOLUTION FOUND. Using Arlo wireless. Could not keep internet connection on Arlo base. No video recordings with cameras only notices. Contacted support. Nothing worked so support sent replacement base. New base installed. Same problems.
Then I noticed similar complaints from others on here. I researched and almost all had one same common denominator. All including myself had upgraded to the Arlo Smart plan. That subscription up grade is exactly the time my problems began.
I quickly cancelled my Smart plan subscription and went back to the free basic plan. Within 2 minutes I had full uninterrupted base station connection and video recording of all events on all cameras.
The problem is Arlos Smart Plan subscription, it wreaks havoc with internet connections and video recording. Use the free basic plan only until Arlo gets their Smart Plan software fixed.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@dinnyc wrote:

Worked fine until new firmware request , then not able to connect to base station , reset worked once but then kept failing. The ineternet is flashing yellow and power is solid yellow ..

Flashing amber is a problem - never seen that before. Try a reset by holding the reset button until the LEDs flash amber. Remove everything in Settings, My Devices and start fresh. If the same thing happens, open a case with support here for faulty hardware.

screaminchicken
Tutor
Tutor
SOLUTION NOT FOUND...I am on the free basic plan
Mamamu
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have read about the devices getting constantly offline and the batteries just running out of juice way too fast but I have not read how to correct this.  Somebody said to go back to Arlo Basic plan but this is what I have always had.

need help!! I am sooo frustrated with this!

my device is a VMB3010r2 firmware 1.12.0.0_27099 

I am not techie at all so please speak “human” haha

screaminchicken
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks for this. I have reset, deleted all devices and then began reconnecting. I can connect one camera before the system goes offline again!

i think I have isolated the problem though. Netgear markets Arlo as an internet based wireless security camera system that you can access anywhere at any time. 

I have highlighted some of the slightly misleading elements of the description 

screaminchicken
Tutor
Tutor

Hi ShayneS. I see that you are an Arlo employee. Any further update since your original post asking for more information?

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

screaminchicken,

Have you tried a new Ethernet cable and a different port on the router? 

screaminchicken
Tutor
Tutor
There is nothing wrong with the Ethernet cable. This is a well documented issue following the last update to the Arlo system - the issues are noted in various forums and are pretty obvious from recent reviews of the Arlo app on the iTunes App Store.

Are you really an Arlo employee?
screaminchicken
Tutor
Tutor

Hi ShayneS

still no contact whatsoever from the Arlo "Support" team despite me providing you with both my email address and contact telephone number. Are you able to advise how I might get a full refund for a system that was sold to me with basic expectations that now fails to deliver on any level?

thanks