Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Android app message: "you are not connected to the internet". Cannot log in or see cameras.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 7 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
kjrst9
Guide
Guide

Using an Android platform.  Arlo app is updated.  I have internet.

App repeatedly says  "you are not connected to the internet".  When this happens, I cannot log in and see my cameras, nor can I remove any notifications.  I continue to get movement notifications, meaning clearly everything is "connected to the internet."  I'm at home - my phone has a great signal.  Even when I'm not at home, it's few and far between that I don't have a signal. 

geofencing is enabled.  Past posts on this topic, which I see dating back to 2015, are all closed so I'm starting this new inquiry.  But, past posts all suggested that geofencing had something to do with it.

The only way to clear the message is to force stop the app.  Once I do that, it could be hours or a day until the error returns.  If in fact geofencing related, maybe it triggers when I leave home - I have to run some "experiments" on this (but being under stay at home orders I'm not leaving as often as I usually would). 

I already called customer service once and they told me to uninstall and reinstall the app.  Of course that briefly worked, as effectively as a forced stop does.  I simultaneously advised them that sometimes my mode settings change themselves (geofencing will turn on cameras when I leave, and upon return they remain in "armed" mode).  Customer service claimed this was correct app behavior, and I was like "no.  This is a new problem and not a correct app behavior."

My Arlo webpage dashboard never stops working through all of this.

8 REPLIES 8
naturephotog
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm having the same problem. Phone is an LG Aristo 4+ with Android Kernel 4.9.112, Arlo version 2.17.1_28025 and firefox 68.9.0.

Problem started after upgrading software to the current version, within the last few days. Message: "You are not connected to the internet. Please check your connection." This occurs when attempting to access any feature except Library which states the Arlo team is working on the issue.

Reinstalling the software works once then the message reappears.

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi kjrst9,

Are you still experiencing this issue?

Hey naturephotog,

The Arlo app requires Android version 5.0 or higher in order to work properly on your Android device. You can learn more here about the minimum requirements to use the Arlo system: What are the minimum requirements for installing and using my Arlo system?

ronaldpasko
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am having the same issue.  Basic installation with 2 cameras.  No geo-fencing.   On the android app, the cameras will report that they are not connected to the internet.  Both cameras are close to the base station.  When they are connected, the cameras show a very strong (5 bar) internet connection.  

When the app fails to connect to the cameras, they still push notifications to my phone.

This is very frustrating.  The system is close to unusable.  

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ronaldpasko wrote:

I am having the same issue.  Basic installation with 2 cameras.  No geo-fencing.   On the android app, the cameras will report that they are not connected to the internet.  Both cameras are close to the base station.  When they are connected, the cameras show a very strong (5 bar) internet connection.  

Are the base LEDs showing a connection issue when you see the problem?  https://kb.arlo.com/000039100/What-do-the-LEDs-on-my-Arlo-SmartHub-or-base-station-mean

Perhaps also try browsing to my.arlo.com on a PC when the problem happens, and see if you get the same result.

swilli
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same issue. Using Geofencing. Have to force quit the app and then it immediately works every time. Camera always works through web portal. Just had the issue and I checked the web portal and it was up. Doesn't matter if I enable/disable wifi on my phone either.

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi swilli,

If you're having issues on your Arlo app, please contact the Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

Jen8164
Initiate
Initiate

I am having this same issue.  I uninstall the app, reinstall it and it works for awhile... until it doesn't again.  Then I have to start all over and reverify the phone (perhaps every 2-4 days.)  It is becoming incredibly inconvenient and annoying.  This has been going on for about 3-4 weeks now.  I am running 5 cameras and a doorbell.  Looking to pick up 4 more, but ticked at the amount of time and money invested in the ones that I have now and I cannot reliably keep the app running on my phone.  I have a Galaxy S10+ and am running Android Version 10.  This should not be a repetitive issue for the level of product you are peddling here.  

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

While it's a problem that needs to be fixed, simply toggling your WiFi off and back on works and is a fast "fix".