Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Are there mounted wireless cameras with better small bird motion detection?

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Lexiebird
Aspirant
Aspirant

I bought Arlo Pro specifically to monitor my African Grey parrot who is an escape artist from her cage and likes to roam around at night causing problems. These birds are highly intelligent, and she has outwitted several different wireless and wired cameras by moving outside their field of vision or outright destroying them if she can get to them, either damaging them mechanically, repositioning the cameras field of view, or pouring borox solution on them. I bought two sets of 5 cameras each and mounted them as instructed, 8-10 feet off the floor , angled down, 5-10 feet away from expected appearance of the bird and her cage,100 % sensitivity. However, cameras do not pick up her at all! I cannot put it closer within her reach as she will get around it and either reposition or damage it. I have to have it mounted outside her reach. Is there any way to get the cameras to pick up her movement under these circumstances? If not, I will have to return these cameras. Are there other mounted wireless cameras with better small bird  motion detection under these conditions? I do not need “ pet friendly” cameras, just the opposite! I bought Arlo system based on high reviews but unless it can monitor my bird, it is useless to me!

6 REPLIES 6
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The Pro camera use PIR devices to detect motion and smaller animals are harder to pick up unless close.

What you need ( or would be better suited since also they are inside ) is a Q camera.... Q cameras use pixel change to detect motion ( if what it sees changes ) and would work better with a parrot.

Or a Arlo Baby which works similar.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Lexiebird
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for your advice. Are Q cameras made by Arlo and can they be added to existing Arlo Pro base?

Lexiebird
Aspirant
Aspirant

I looked Arlo Q camera, and I see that it is a freestanding camera. Is there any way to connect it to siren or some other audible alarm to provide negative reinforcement for escaping?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Not directly. Maybe with something like IFTTT or similar. Otherwise, a camera connected to a base with a siren or a camera with a built-in siren would be needed. The base's siren is much louder than the camera's.

You can use non-Q cameras similarly to the Q by plugging them into AC power. Also, ensure that you're setting motion detection in your modes and rules, not the test, which is just a test.

Lexiebird
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for this info. If I understand you correctly, Arlo Pro camera will have a better resolution and pick up smaller animals if I leave  it plugged in via charging cable into AC outlet? Or do I need a special cable other than the charging one?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The Q is 1080p while the Pro is 720p so the Q has better resolution. As for plugging it in, that's just to provide power so the normal charging cable and charger is all that's needed.

However, the Pro uses a passive IR detection system as opposed to the pixel-change detection of the Q. I would say that the Q gives better detection of small objects than the Pro but I would also guess that you can find a motion sensitivity setting for either that would work for your case since it's close and indoors. Testing would be needed to optimize the settings in either case.