Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
JMAIO
Tutor
Tutor

I have an Arlo at my front door looking downward as suggested. Problem is, I can't see faces of individuals that well unless they look up. I'd like to re-mount the Arlo to the side of the door, about 5Ft. high. Problem is, of course, it would be "Gone in 60 seconds" like the movie. Does anyone know of a sturdy box or decorative gizmo I could mount the Arlo camera in and still have (locked) access to change batteries when necessary? Something like the real estate salesperson's lock box, only nicer. Of course, it would have to be non-metal to let the wifi signal pass without attenuation. 

Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Thumpersma
Apprentice
Apprentice

JMAIO wrote:

Maybe something like this; http://www.amazon.com/White-Rodgers-F29-0198-Thermostat-Guard/dp/B000PY7S6A/ref=pd_sim_60_3?ie=UTF8&...

Cut out where the Arlo lens and IR goes? Thoughts?

This might deter the "casual" thief but the problem with this is that it is plastic and easily broken into. Let's face it, if a thief wants to steal something, he will find a way. I used to live in an apartment building that had these thermostat covers on the A/C controls and in the summer, these would always be picked open or broken to get to the controls. 

I don't have any better suggestions, though. I was thinking of building a wooden box with a lock on it for mine but I don't know how that would interfere with the IR and motion detection either. Since motion detection is dependent on heat detection, enclosing the camera in a wooden box might increase false motion detections. For example, I placed two of my synced cameras inside my closed wooden kitchen cabinets for 24 hrs before setting them in place. After about four hours I started to get motion notifications from those two cameras. Really? In a closed cabinet? It took me a while to realize there was a heat buildup in there due to the under cabinet lights. Duh! 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Problem with your choice of 'protective box' is that the PIR may not function as IR doesn't work though glass and prob plexiglass too.

I only know of security boxes ( like in elevators, etc ) for wired devices which record 24/7.

But, people at doors DO tend to look around and up... the other choice is farther away and more of an activity camera

( we once set up a camera with a small sign that said " look up "... funny, almost all did and got great face shots )

The only thing I can think of is   1) a screw in mount with security screws to prohibit loosening   2) Having one camera mounted high as a trigger to a second cam in a secure box at eye level.

Seems like a work-around tho... you prob want more of a door-bell type camera.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
JMAIO
Tutor
Tutor

Maybe something like this; http://www.amazon.com/White-Rodgers-F29-0198-Thermostat-Guard/dp/B000PY7S6A/ref=pd_sim_60_3?ie=UTF8&...

Thumpersma
Apprentice
Apprentice

JMAIO wrote:

This might deter the "casual" thief but the problem with this is that it is plastic and easily broken into. Let's face it, if a thief wants to steal something, he will find a way. I used to live in an apartment building that had these thermostat covers on the A/C controls and in the summer, these would always be picked open or broken to get to the controls. 

I don't have any better suggestions, though. I was thinking of building a wooden box with a lock on it for mine but I don't know how that would interfere with the IR and motion detection either. Since motion detection is dependent on heat detection, enclosing the camera in a wooden box might increase false motion detections. For example, I placed two of my synced cameras inside my closed wooden kitchen cabinets for 24 hrs before setting them in place. After about four hours I started to get motion notifications from those two cameras. Really? In a closed cabinet? It took me a while to realize there was a heat buildup in there due to the under cabinet lights. Duh!