Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
tedboz
Aspirant
Aspirant
My first cam was a Q and is connected to my Netgear router. I am now trying to add a standard wireless Arlo. I follow the Add Device steps to sync camera with router after pressing the WPS button and then the sync button on cam - blue light indicates syncing occurred - but the new device does not appear in the Arlo app after this - what am I missing?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I'm confused by what you're saying/seeing.  You've connected the base to the router and added it either using New System Setup or Add Device and synced cameras?  Or have you just connected the base to the router?  If the latter, you should have two green LEDs - power and Internet.  If you haven't created a Netgear/Arlo account yet, open the app or use a browser pointed to https://arlo.netgear.com/ and use the New System Setup to create an account and add the base to the new account.  If you already have a Netgear/Arlo account, log in and use Add Device to add the base.  Once the base is added in either method, sync the cameras.

I think you're just confused by the R7000 debacle.  Ignore it completely and follow the normal directions.  Just be sure to select a base station to add to the account and not a router (that part should be removed to elimnate confusion).

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

What i believe you are missing is the Arlo base and its connection to an ethernet port on your router.

All the Arlo and Arlo PRO require a base unit to operate ( the base sets up its own wifi network to talk only to the cameras )

While the 7000 Netgear router did support the Arlo cameras, that was dropped and it no longer does. No other router supports the Arlos cameras at all to my knowledge.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
tedboz
Aspirant
Aspirant

Tom thanks for the info - you may be right but here's why I think you may not be.  My first camera was a Q - this is connected to router without a base station.  Then the ios app when adding a device asks how your first cam is connected - base station or router.  For me its a router.  So it then quides to on how to sync with the router and that process seems to work (the blue light on cam flashes like its supposed to and the router has a WPS button like the app says it should, etc).   So why does my Arlo cam require a base and the Q does not and why does the app suggest my second cam should connect right to router like my first?  thanks a ton!

Ted

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

tedboz wrote:

Tom thanks for the info - you may be right but here's why I think you may not be.  snip

Ted

Ted... can say that the sw is prob screwed up... it's leading you down a false trail.

The Qs were designed to link to your home wifi, the Arlos were designed to link to the bases only.( 7000 for a short time came later )

( BTW, Jeff here will chime in , He's run the Arlos from his 7000 in past and still has the beta sw somewhere )

1) TMK, there is no Netgear router that supports the Arlo cameras directly anymore

2) Arlo and Arlo Pro require a base unit... The base is hooked into the internet via an ethernet cable and then sets it's own wifi network up for the cameras ( does the processing of video, etc )

I can understand your confusion, since the sw says it should work, but I feel it may have been old code from when the 7000 supported Arlos.

The fact that the Arlo seems to sync is moot if you can't acess it.

You could always send an email to Netgear for confirmation

Morse is faster than texting!
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Definitive answer:

The Netgear R7000 is the ONLY router that can possibly be used to connect an Arlo wireless camera without the use of a base. No other router, icluding the similarly-named D7000, ever supported Arlo.  It requires specific firmware to do so.  That firmware has been pulled and is of limited use in any event since the formware for both the router and Arlo is severely out of date (the Arlo part would now be almost a year old, forcing the cameras to use antique firmware, too).  I do have the last beta firmware but I would strongly suggest not using it for the above reasons with no way to ever update.

The artifact of allowing a router to be selected should be removed from the interface for just these reasons. @JamesC - can this be made a priority?

tedboz
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ok, so I have the base station connected to my router and I synced the Arlo with the base station.  However, the Arlo is not appearing on my ios app as a new device.   This setup process could not be more confusing!  What am I doing wrong?  thanks a bunch!

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I'm confused by what you're saying/seeing.  You've connected the base to the router and added it either using New System Setup or Add Device and synced cameras?  Or have you just connected the base to the router?  If the latter, you should have two green LEDs - power and Internet.  If you haven't created a Netgear/Arlo account yet, open the app or use a browser pointed to https://arlo.netgear.com/ and use the New System Setup to create an account and add the base to the new account.  If you already have a Netgear/Arlo account, log in and use Add Device to add the base.  Once the base is added in either method, sync the cameras.

I think you're just confused by the R7000 debacle.  Ignore it completely and follow the normal directions.  Just be sure to select a base station to add to the account and not a router (that part should be removed to elimnate confusion).

tedboz
Aspirant
Aspirant

Figured this out .... thank you for your help!

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Note there is a new firmware available for the R7k router. Log into the router web page and check for updates. This addresses a security vulnerability that needed to be patched quickly.
JohnnyClams
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have a base station now with two cameras which was easy to set up and work great.   I bought a third camera

but I am unable to get it to show up on my devices.

I got the blinking green activation light on he base station and the blinking blue light on the camera

but still no image from the third camera

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Answered already. One post is sufficient.