Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
AG400
Aspirant
Aspirant

Base station 

I really need some help in setting up remote access to the video recording I have on my base station SD card. No problem in access the video recording on my home network but outside !!

I have configured a VPN on my router and IOS but still not working.

Found another user with same issue but do not understand the solution provided:

Configure port forwarding for your Arlo Base station separately from the VPN setup. Use a different port for the VPN and avoid using the default port for added security.

1. On my Asus router setup VPN (complete and working)

2. Setup VPN on IOS (complete and working)

After this I still access my stored videos outside my home network.

DO I also need to the port forwarding and if yes what is the VPN then needed for?

3. Port forwarding enabling

The arlo app - port forwarding provide the following info after enabling:

• Internal IP add.
  • Internal port
  • External Port

My Asus router need this:

- Protocol - what should that be.

and the 3 point above.

Arlo really need to provide and example of the setup for a typical router with all the steps.

Thanks

AG400

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@AG400 wrote:

After this I still can't access my stored videos outside my home network.

When on my home network, I can with or without VPN access the stored video clips so that part works fine.

It's when outside my home network I have the issue, and was hoping the NORDvpn could help that?

Thanks

I don't have an Asus router - my own router is an Orbi that has OpenVPN installed.

You might check the features on NORDvpn.  What you need is a VPN server in the router that lets your phone access your home network when you are away.  What you don't need is a VPN that allows your home network to connect through a server in different location (to mask your location, or allow you to access content that isn't available in your country).

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@AG400 wrote:

1. On my Asus router setup VPN (complete and working)

After this I still access my stored videos outside my home network.

DO I also need to the port forwarding and if yes what is the VPN then needed for?

If you are using a VPN, then you can leave port forwarding off.

AG400
Aspirant
Aspirant

Okay so if NORDvpn is running on my router and on my iphone I also start the NORDvpn app, what am I missing to be able to connect to the stored video om my base station VMB5000 when outside home network. In the Arlo app on my iphone do I need to change anything in device setting for the base station VMB5000?

Thanks

AG400
Aspirant
Aspirant

Sorry I left out an very import can't in my initial message 😞

1. On my Asus router I have setup VPN (complete and working)

When on my home network, I can with or without VPN access the stored video clips so that part works fine.

It's when outside my home network I have the issue, and was hoping the NORDvpn could help that?

Thanks

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@AG400 wrote:

Thanks

I don't have an Asus router - my own router is an Orbi that has OpenVPN installed.

You might check the features on NORDvpn.  What you need is a VPN server in the router that lets your phone access your home network when you are away.  What you don't need is a VPN that allows your home network to connect through a server in different location (to mask your location, or allow you to access content that isn't available in your country).

AG400
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for quick response.

Okay I was total off. So creating a VPN server will require a home computer dedicated for this process, this is suddenly at lot bigger task 😞

Can I use the base station as the vpn server or if I understand this correct, I need an ex. PC on my home network that will be the vpn server (VPN hoste) ?

Then I am outside my home network I access the VPN server from my iphone, and buy doing this will I then be able to access the video clips in the Arlo app on my iphone, or do I need to link the Arlo base station to the VPN server?

Thanks again 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@AG400 wrote:

So creating a VPN server will require a home computer dedicated for this process, this is suddenly at lot bigger task 😞

Or purchasing a router that has the server built in.  Netgear Nighthawk and Orbi routers have it.  So do some ASUS, Linksys and TP-Link models.  

I agree that setting up your own on a PC is a challenging task.

Whether this is worth it might depend on what else you might use the VPN for.  My main use for OpenVPN is to access content on my home NAS.  

@AG400 wrote:

Can I use the base station as the vpn server

No.

@AG400 wrote:

do I need to link the Arlo base station to the VPN server?

These servers generally allow you full access to all the devices on your home network.  I haven't needed to do anything specific to the base stations in my own setup.

AG400
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for clarifying.

Is it also required to have a fixed IP address (that is not free) that I can connect to from outside for the solution with the VPN server to work?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@AG400 wrote:

Is it also required to have a fixed IP address (that is not free) that I can connect to from outside for the solution with the VPN server to work?

Not for the base.  If you are using a PC as a VPN server,  then you will need to forward ports in the router to the PC.   Whenever you do that, it is smart to reserve the IP address.

AG400
Aspirant
Aspirant

I was luck my Asus router had the option for openVPN so after setting this up and installing OpenVPN on my IOS and uploading the certificate I can now access my clips from outside the network 🙂

Thanks a lot for the valuable help I have learned a lot about VPN setup 🙂

Have a great weekend.